Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 05:30:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSweezy Gunner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Sweezy Gunner  (Read 40456 times)
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Franklins ghost, The font does need to be changed but for ease of design i use windows fonts, the main font is not a standered font and as such would require it being installed on the computer for that text to apply it, Everywhere where the other font is is an image rather than text.

As for the moving sign at the start i never thought about that, ill try and make it move less and see if its better, upon watching the video myself i tend to agree with you.

Thanks again :D

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

That's okay, was happy to give feedback cause really enjoy following your devlog. Also Toejam and Earl was one of my favourite games on the megadrive so any game that references it is a good thing in my books  Smiley

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »

Thanks. I was thinking about putting in an adaption of one off the bad guys from tj & e as a little reference to it. It its one of the best games made FACT!

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »

Just finished and published my website which will house this game. Please let me know what you think, Its fairly baron at the moment but i have lots to add.

windybeard.com
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:08:51 PM by Windybeard » Logged

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »

Windybeard logo looks smart.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »

Thanks. Still a bit of work to do but the main site layout im happy with.

As for Sweezy Gunner i have been building levels!! HURRAY! 3 full levels now complete, the game is now heading towards a demo which im hoping to drop here in the next week or 2 to any interested parties.

I also designed a new bad guy. Its like this worm thing that sticks it head out of the water areas and shoots in bursts of 5 bullets.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »

I have been working on boss designs, This is a mock up of the first boss in the game..

He doesnt move but brings up a shield of rocks and roots to cover himself from fire, he shoots and you and does the old roots shooting up out the ground move. There will be more grass, moss and flowers covering him when he is fully finished.

I dont intend for him to be too difficult as he is the first one but i do want the player to shit themselves a bit when its boss time and i dont want boss battles to be beaten first time so there will be lots of mayhem.

The ship is for scale.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »

Hi, i have now nearly fully implemented the first boss. Here he is GRRRR!

Hes rooted to the ground but he pushes his spikey hands up through the ground, also he spawns rocky spikes infront of himself which you have to shoot through to get at him. Also as an added attack his head often floats out of his body and shoots rows of bullets into your face!

The idea is for bosses to be tough, hopefully not beatable first play through (unless your good) but about learning the routines, and perfecting the attack.

Ive also added a new camera system to the game, now instead of just "center screen" to the main character the camera follows a line of sight which is always pointing toward the mouse cursor, this allows the player to see more of whats ahead. Its fairly smooth and fluid, this also allows me to control other cool little things like possible fly overs and stuff.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 06:13:10 AM »

I'm not a big boss fan these days, probably due to my skill and patience levels plummeting in recent years. Nice work though, does he have a name?!
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 06:16:25 AM »

Lol, this game is (hopefully) going to  be a mouse squeezer! he does not have a name yet, im open to suggestions!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »

Liking the boss design  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »

I think he looks like a Brian.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »

Brian it is!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34:22 AM »

Good old Brian  Wink

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

Hi

I have redesigned the actual gunner buggy, Before it was a sphere thing with a floating orb that shoots. Now i have designed it as a buggy, On top of the buggy will be a massive cannon that changes with whatever gun you have picked up.

As you drive about it leaves a trial of exhaust fumes and a little red snake glow follows the exhaust. Also i have made the buggy as 2 pieces, the engine and the top bit, this will alow me to easily add new ship skins and other little touches like the wheels going underwater and stuff like that.

I think it makes a huge difference to the game.

Anyways here it is. feedback appreciated.

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »

Looks great, look forward to seeing it in motion.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

Thanks Birdorf, ill upload a new video soon with the new character design.

Im having a little bit of trouble designing a cannon to mount on his head that can move in 360 degrees without looking weird. Its harder than i first though it would be. What im thinking is the best (and not stupidly time consuming) course of action is design the cannon with 2 directions, Up and down. then depending on if your aiming in front or behind the character it will desplay the appropriate cannon which will move 180 degrees before changing.... if that makes sense  Undecided

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »

Hi all

Ive had to put Sweezy Gunner to bed for a few weeks but Real life is letting up so im back in business! WOOT!

I need some honest opinions about an idea im thinking of implementing and i cant weigh up the Time to add vs gaming experience.

What im thinking of adding is, at present the only thing that can be destroyed in game is enemies and containers. It works well and so far those who have tested think its a fun game, Great! however i could make the game so that everything is destroyable, meaning rocks, trees, bushes etc all being destroyable. This would change the gameplay and interactivity for the better but would take a considerable amount of time to impliment and also would weigh heavier on memory use.

At present all these terrain bits are plain images with an invisible collision map. Changing this to interactive would mean alot more "Active" objects per screen and would potentially add 100+ more "Active's" to the play area.

So im trying not to add more and more, ive done that once with this project and now after months im back on track however this idea does not feel like a bad move at present but would creat alot more work for me.

what do you think? Ideas or opinions greatly appreciated!

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd focus on regular enemies. Then again, I suppose the destructable stuff would add better scoring potential and therefore replay value. So, My lazy side says no, but my score attack side says yes. Descisions, descisions. I'm completely unhelpful.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2012, 04:19:11 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd focus on regular enemies. Then again, I suppose the destructable stuff would add better scoring potential and therefore replay value. So, My lazy side says no, but my score attack side says yes. Descisions, descisions. I'm completely unhelpful.

It's a tough question but I think I agree with Birdorf. Part of me says it's not needed and the game will work without it. But another part says it would make things crazier (which is always a good thing) and allow the player to have some more fun destroying the landscape. Maybe even use it as tactic when approaching certain situations.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic