Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 01:25:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 740287 times)
Nix
« Reply #1740 on: February 22, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

So code an editor with as little GUI as possible.  Make it all cryptic hotkeys and mouse motions; it's quite fun that way and acceptable for in-house tools.

This is exactly what I'm doing. And the stuff I can't fit into keyboard shortcuts I make available through a dropdown dev console.
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 22, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »

So code an editor with as little GUI as possible.  Make it all cryptic hotkeys and mouse motions; it's quite fun that way and acceptable for in-house tools.

This is exactly what I'm doing. And the stuff I can't fit into keyboard shortcuts I make available through a dropdown dev console.

When I get to making my editor, I'll probably be using vim-style key-mappings...

resistor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »

Sounds like an emacs mode... Wink
mirosurabu
« Reply #1743 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:18 AM »

Cryptic hotkeys - yes, I should probably do that. Have to think about ways to do it. My enemies are made out of pixel segments and each segment has a name and health. Additionally, I have to position bullet emitters and configure them. Hmmm.
teomat
« Reply #1744 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:12 AM »

dropdown dev console
Nice, why didn't I think of that earlier! I will still have to render fonts in opengl, but at least I wont have to worry about gui stuff :D
Nix
« Reply #1745 on: February 23, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »

dropdown dev console
Nice, why didn't I think of that earlier! I will still have to render fonts in opengl, but at least I wont have to worry about gui stuff :D

I'm not sure how you plan on doing it, but you can simplify the process greatly by turning the fonts into bitmaps beforehand with something like this: http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/utility/bitmap_font_maker.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1746 on: February 23, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »

Or drawing them yourself.  <_<  In the textless drawing tool you coded.  >_>

I'm sort of a bootstrapper.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1747 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

So I've got this problem where on Mac only, and only on my release builds, it's acting like cwd is / rather than my executable directory. Now, this is actually not surprising, as this is a known behavior of OS X I've encountered before-- programs run inside Xcode have the "what you'd expect" cwd and programs launched by the Finder have a cwd of /. Okay. But at this point I get confused because a previous game I made just hauled off and acted like the "executable directory" was cwd and it worked and when I run it it still works. Why? So I look and, sensibly, it turns out SDLMain.m checks whether it was the Finder that ran it, and if so it grabs its bundle directory and chdirs there.

Okay, so maybe something's going wrong there? So I add printfs to SDLMain and further inside my program, tracing whether I got to various steps in the SDL "chdir at startup" path and printing getcwd() at various moments. And...

...and as soon as I've added these changes, which consist *only* of printfs and getcwds, everything magically rights itself and suddenly cwd is what I expect it to be again.

W T F

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1748 on: February 23, 2011, 10:13:39 AM »

Ok so the minimal fix turned out to be replacing:

assert( chdir(parentdir) == 0 );

With

chdir(parentdir);

My printf changes involved trapping the output of that chdir in a variable, which had the same effect.

I didn't trust this at first, but it does make sense (code inside an assert isn't being executed in release builds? No shit, SDL!) and checking google I find discussion on the SDL mailing list about this-- it appears I have an out of date version of SDLMain.m. However I am still completely baffled as to how this same code somehow worked for me in the past. I guess something changed between versions of XCode?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1749 on: February 23, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

Mcc -- Do you happen to know how to get Apple crash reports when you're distributing a program?  Is it an E-mail address you stick in the plist or something..?

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1750 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

Maybe you didn't use a release build for some reason on the earlier game, or had an earlier version of SDL with the chdir but not the assert? It's unlikely to be something in Xcode because the assertions are macros - the compiler never sees the expression in release.

Sometimes it's useful to have a VERIFY macro which is like ASSERT but doesn't define out the expression, only the check, in release builds.
increpare
« Reply #1751 on: February 24, 2011, 06:07:32 AM »

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash
Kekskiller
« Reply #1752 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:50 AM »

Ah, the pleasures of Adobe... Always a good ride.
mirosurabu
« Reply #1753 on: February 24, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »

Oh no, why?
increpare
« Reply #1754 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »

Oh no, why?
Random crap.  I'm okay now, delegated all the donkey work to javascript Smiley
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1755 on: February 25, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »

It is 2:37 AM and I have just learned about PREMULTIPLIED ALPHA and its relationship to blend functions. I am happy to know about this and really grumpy I didn't find out about it, say, a year and a half ago.

st33d
« Reply #1756 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:37 AM »

refactoring looks like it will head into its third week

Tired
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1757 on: February 25, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »

My beautifully clean code for walking physics characters has become a mess just after i decided to add an small-step-ignore feature.
And now they jump around like frogs  Crazy

teomat
« Reply #1758 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »

Screw this, who needs an editor when everything is procedurally generated! Cheesy
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1759 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »

Huh.  I just created a pointer that needs to point to it's parent.  And that parent contains the pointer. Crazy

Box2D is funny sometimes. 

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic