Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:45:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]  (Read 43209 times)
increpare
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »

One other thing: I like how the subobjectives were linked to people's abilities.  In my game, most of the subobjectives were ignored because staying alive at all was hard enough.
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:35 AM »

Oh, wow, this was a fun game. The reason there weren't more wolves was because I had forgotten to try and convert someone on the third day. Not that it really mattered, seeing as I got killed anyway, but still.

My subobjective was being a Gentleman. Gentleman I had to try to be as polite and gentlemanly as possible, even to the people I voted for. I'm afraid I didn't do very well with it, but I tried. And battlerager, I knew you were a witch when it was revealed increpare was an abomination due to the whole 'I can choose between two people at night and the human one will be converted if the other is a witch' thing. See, the thing is, if I chose two witches, BAM! Instant abomination.

Oh, and Fifth, you get a  Lips Sealed from me right now. Although you didn't know battlerager had his fightin' powahs, so I can't really hold it against you.

But, again, it was a helluva fun game, and I'm glad that I could antagonize you guys this evening. THANK YOU, AND GOODNIGHT! Beer!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:27:04 AM by Xotes » Logged

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »

I hope some of you were at least discussing the option of working with them, or even threatening them, covertly via PM. Wink
Garthy! He works with witches! A witch, a witch!

Wait, what?

Awesome game, Garthy.
increpare
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »

Only witches use quote-boxes!

Also, the banishing of quote-boxes was a great move I think.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »

Oops, bit late to the party.
Anyway, GeneralValter, never visioned you, so it wasn't us that caused that.
In fact, judging from that list, apparently we made people dream of llamas! Undecided

Xion was our first ally, mostly due to us being friends outside the game, but neither of us was willing to say we were a witch.

Hroon pm'd me that he was a witch and I fell into his trap quite easily. Roll Eyes
The reason he killed Melly, I believe, is because I told him both Melly and Chutup were the same role.

After that we assumed we were gonna die, but y'know, not sure, so we only PM'd Lucaz and GeneralValter, though neither PM directly said we were a witch. Lucaz was an awfully good sport about that, too Smiley.

Hideous contacted me last night, which I think was against the rules, but hey, we had enough to form a coven.

The climax with both of the werewolves dyin' was pretty surprising, sort of a pleasant surprise.  Gentleman

Anyway, we've only played one werewolf game before, and died on the first lynching anyway Embarrassed, but this was absolutely awesome, and you did a great job, Garthy.
The ruleset was awesome and we're honestly dissapointed the witchhunters didn't become a greater threat.
In fact, it'd be awesome if we could play the same game again with just different roles. :D

Did the bonus from sub-objectives change for derivative werewolves? I mean, not much of a use for bonuses to your investigation skills.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »

And oh yeah, props to Battlerager, he was a great ally in the game and all of the assumptions he made about his visions were true. Beer!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »

Gah, curse your good fortune and fighting skills, BattleRager!

Heh... and sorry 'bout getting killed so quickly, Xotes.  I figured that I'd never be able to take BattleRager in the end if it came down to just us, I'd never be able to convince others to burn him after how he fought against you (unless he slipped up bad), and that, if I struck quickly, he might still be worn out from the battle.

Alas... 'twas not so.

Anyway, outstanding job, Garthy!
The detail in the guilds and roles and townsfolk, the epic descriptions (and PMs, too!), and all the subobjective, roleplaying incentives and the like really made the town seem alive, and the situation seem all the more immersive.  I really had a sense of fear after finding out that increpare was an abomination, and dreaded what might happen to me that night after I had accused and exposed him... (although I didn't predict being turned into a werewolf)...

Heheh... and good job to everybody for playing the roles to their fullest!  This turned out to be quite an awesome experience.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »

This was so epic. My visions were about different tastes of a potion, but I only ever looked at three people, and they all gave different tastes.

And I'm not sure about the PMing at night thing? Garthy said something about "only witches talk at night", and well, I was a witch. So.

Also did any of my visions have side effects?

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

so, who's hosting the next one?  i'm not going to host, but i am IN mofos  Lips Sealed

sorry i just wanted to see what the glow did and preview isn't working for me

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2008, 03:54:25 PM »

GeneralValter:

Nope, the target of the vision gets the side effects. The side effects are locked to a single person, eg. Xion always gave the wart curse. To make things even more confusing, Fifth, hroon, and Hideous were immune to side effects.

Re paranoia, yes, it was mostly to nail anyone who either admitted or acted far too much like a witch. Also, to give the humans a chance to win if they were behind, or kill each other senselessly if they were not. Wink

I believe Inane may have contacted many people. Wink I don't think I would have done the same, but I'm not going to fault his tactic, because he managed to survive anyway. Smiley Mind you, a few more votes during paranoia and it would be over for him.

Re your perfect guess, I actually wondered for a moment if my machine had been compromised. Wink

Dacke:

Glad you enjoyed reading it. Smiley There are many more interesting PMs that went around too. Got a few good unused ones as well. Smiley

(For everyone else- Dacke was the reserve I was going to bring in to swap out the inactive witchhunter role. I organised things with the poor guy, then when he was all ready to start, I received the werewolf move and the game ended. D'Oh!)

Lucaz:

Thanks. Smiley

Here's what would have happened if you had given the rose to a witch (I'll assume Hideous):

Lucaz insistently offers a single rose to Hideous.

"Ah... thankyou, I think?", says Hideous, who accepts the rose, and is not entirely sure what to make of the offer. He looks at the rose quizzically.

Suddenly, the rose begins to rot and fall apart in Hideous's hands.

All of a sudden, a bright green flame leaps up from the ground around Hideous. It doesn't harm him, but scares him senseless for a few moments. When he recovers, he is standing there amidst a pillar of green flame. Billowing spoke pours forth from the flames.

Suddenly, several black cats run out, encircling Hideous. A ring of crows begin to circle his head. The crows seem to be calling out "witch!" "witch!" "witch!".

"Okay, there is an entirely rational, sensible explanation for this all" offers Hideous. "This is in no way suggests that I am a witch."

Several silver coins fall from the sky, clattering around. Each of the coins are imprinted with a picture- a witch.

"There are still several, entirely rational explanations for this." adds Hideous.

The sky darkens as dark clouds cover the sky. The ominous sound of thunder can be heard. It is almost as if the sky is crying out "Hideous is a witch!" "Hideous is a witch!".

"This is merely a freak weather occurrence. In some towns, this happens all the time."

All of a sudden a large bubbling cauldron bursts out of a nearby house, landing in front of him. A nearby broom lands by his side. A black pointed hat is trying to land on his head to really drum in the point, but Hideous keeps swatting it away. While he is distracted, a black cloak does manage to sneak up on him from behind, attaching itself discretely to the back of his clothes.

Still fighting off the black pointed hat, Hideous admits: "Okay, I have to admit, this does make me look bad."

Several tap-dancing white rats enter the scene, dancing in a circle around Hideous. It is at this point that the effect is broken, as several of the black cats notice the rats, and begin to chase them. The crows fly off in all directions, crying out "witch" "witch" "witch" as the disappear into the distance.

Hideous admits defeat in his battle against the pointy black hat. It nestles itself upon his head.

Hideous is still surrounded in green flame and billowing smoke, which follows him around as he walks. Even the cauldron and broom slide along after him.

Hideous looks somewhat despondent at this point.

"I'm going to hazard a guess", begins Lucaz. "That Hideous may be a witch."

increpare:

After I got everyone's Guild preferences, I tried to come up with roles and abilities that made sense for everyone, and tied in with their preferences. The signup was one huge "select your character" screen with unlimited choices. Wink Attaching benefits to subobjectives encouraged people to use them a bit. Glad you liked. Smiley

I agree, I think the game went a fair bit better sans quote boxes. I didn't enjoy having to police it, but everyone who used them was happy to go back and fix them up later (eventually), which was good.

I was fully prepared to have the crowd burn anyone who didn't, though. Wink

Xotes:

Not using the conversion ability during day one hurt your chances a bit too- because you would have got conversion two that night if you did. increpare copping everyone's interest was a second blow to the wolves chances, and your subsequent burning was the beginning of the end for the wolves. Fifth had incredible odds against him at that stage.

Glad you had fun. Smiley

Cheater:

Burn him! Burn him!

Actually, the cityfolk took care of that in day one. Smiley

Glad you enjoyed it. Smiley

Inane:

Nope, not you. The lists weren't in order. Your visions made people wake up under the bed. Xion was hit by you on day one, and he got this:

You wake up in a panic. You have something pressed right up against your face, and a hard surface below you. You struggle for a moment, but then realise what has happened. You are lying underneath your bed.

You roll out from under it, and look around. Your bedsheets are still on the bed, but somehow you fell out of bed without disturbing them, and ended up neatly under the bed.

How very strange.

Glad you enjoyed it. Smiley I enjoyed watching you struggle through my horribly cruel subobjective, and you took it on like a champion. Smiley Congrats.

Might be a while before I can host again, think 2009. Wink Takes up so much time, most of it doing the writing, of course. Much of the ruleset is there though, and I'd be happy to provide assistance to anyone willing to host the game with the same ruleset, including providing the missing details on how certain things worked. I'd definitely change the one-wolf thing though, which was effectively a plot twist, and put in some other sort of twist instead.

Converted wolves kept their same ability: Witches kept visions, Humans kept investigation. They were of use to each as the wolves had a vested interest in finding witchhunters, and knowing if the others were witches or humans helped as well.

Fifth:

Glad you enjoyed! Smiley I spent a huge amount of time putting it together and writing the descriptions, all the time worrying: "Do people actually read this?".

When you have a chance, skim back through the long public posts, most have several gags worked into them. Some subtle, most not. Smiley

Here's an outtake from the Xotes burn battle, which I had to take out because hroon was killed and McAndrews was missing:

hroon spies a rapid motion, and in a moment, Xotes lands before him, smiling. A circle of cats surround hroon, awaiting his command. There are two hissing cats poised on his shoulders, ready to strike. hroon makes his move.

Pointing a finger toward Xotes, he cries: "Attack!"

The cats all immediately flee the area.

Xotes raises a mighty hand, and hroon nods in acknowledgment of what he must do. He flings himself into the air, against a building and crumples down onto the ground.

Xotes turns to find McAndrews backing away.

"Attack?" he asks the gathered clouds, who do not respond.

The odds were stacked against you once Xotes was caught (and very narrowly so, the three main suspects had roughly 30% of the city vote each). Knowing that battlerager could probably defend himself would have made your decision very difficult. Hindsight being 100% and all, but investigating him would have shown he was a witch, and if you could talk someone else into checking, you could have gone for the burn on the final few days.

Hideous:

Glad you thought so. Smiley

Yeah, I wasn't clear on the PM at night thing, and didn't clarify properly. Sorry about that guys. Ideally, I should have set the PM policy right from the start, but with all the other details, it slipped my mind.

Yes, your visions had side effects- you flooded rooms with water. This is what Gainsworthy got on night one:

In your sleep, you have a dream. You are a bird flying through the air, the cool wind caressing your face. You can see for miles. Everything seems to small from up here. All of a sudden, you feel a pain in your side. You are falling, falling down. You land in a lake. You gasp as the water begins to fill your lungs. You are drowning, drowning, drowning...

You wake up with a start. You are still drowning! You cough and choke, gasping for air. Your lungs are full of water! You hack and choke, and then cough up water. You gasp, and your lungs fill with air. You are alive.

You lie back down, and hear a squelch. That is when you notice that your bed is completely soaked in water. You sit up and look around. It appears that the entire room is now four inches deep in water.

---

Keep those questions coming. Smiley
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »

Wait a sec! YOU DID NOT INFORM ME THAT I COULD CONVERT PEOPLE DURING THE DAY AS WELL! BLARGH!

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »

Xotes:

Ahem:

For your first conversion, you have no restrictions on your ability at all. You may strike in the day or night, and nobody will know it was you. Just PM me your choice, and it will be done as soon as I see it.
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »

Also AHEM. Day OR night. That wasn't a particularly clear indication that I could do it twice.  Huh?

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »

OMG U BRAEKS ROOLS

Actually, yeah, that could have made a difference. Also, was there a cap on how many werewolves Xotes could make? Was the maximum 5?
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

Xotes:

Yes, that's true. Not what you said in your prior post though, you said I never told you (about the day kill), in big hurtful capital letters. Cry

The original PM to you was long, and it's understandable that that bit was missed. Having said that, I definitely pushed you to use your ability ASAP, check your original PM, and check the sentence in bold right in the next paragraph.

But on not knowing you could use two in one day (actually only applied to the first two conversions), you are quite correct. All you would have been able to determine from the original post is that your first conversion was day or night, and other conversions are normally night-only. I mentioned that each time you used it, you'll get a new limitation, and you had no idea of knowing what it could be. It might have been "but you can't use it tonight". It wasn't, but you had no way of knowing that. So not knowing about having two possible conversions in day one is fair enough.

GeneralValter:

Can't break rules outside of the game. Tongue I assume you mean the quotes boxes?

Re number of wolves, the effective maximum was five. I saw four as ideal, three as being unfair on the wolves, and five as unfair on the humans. Hence I made three easy, four require an extra step, and five punishing.

Every conversion was harder than the one before it. The rules were:

- First conversion (ie. second wolf) had no restrictions (day, night). (increpare)
- Second had to be given by sunset, activated at night. (Fifth)
- Third needed sunset, night, sunset to pass on target, then they got converted (not used).
- Fourth, and last time, it required Xotes to publicly reveal himself as a wolf, so it was only really useful if he was pretty sure he was about to die. This would have triggered the werewolf battle early, and his chosen target would have been scraped in the battle, and become a wolf that night.

Only successful conversions bumped up the difficulty, ie. if his target was killed by burning before becoming a wolf, he could try it again. Xotes only ever knew the next step, ie. he didn't know what was going to happen after his current conversion. So he didn't have this information to work on, he could only guess.

EDIT: Clarified first paragraph, new words in brackets.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 05:39:02 PM by Garthy » Logged
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »

The end was surprising. After seeing how the votes had gone during the day, I expected more violence, and everyone putting Inane in the list.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »

Lucaz:

Surprised me too. I think the calm ending came from the fact that most people didn't PM me. I don't know whether the ommissions were due to people wanting an empty list, or just not getting around to it. Maybe there was some unspoken agreement via PM to not send anything in? No real way to tell. Would be nice to know, though.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »

Oh, hey. I'm late.
You did a great job of hosting, Garthy. Friggin booklike posts which, yes, I did read.

I deciphered all of my visions,
right after I died. Cry

I also had Shinygerbil pegged as a witch too, though, with his little drunken slips about Inane, battlerager, and the witch-indicative Elm tree. How else would he have known about the elm tree?

I was so proud of myself for dissuading the votes against me that one day though. I've never been good at swaying crowds in previous games. I was all prepared to make a post about how, me being a bodyguard and all, had complete disgust for any form of prowess that wasn't of the most tangible and physical variety or something, should votes have stacked against me again. I definitely didn't expect to get taken out by the wolves though.
I just wish I'd teamed up with some of the witches while I was still alive though Sad

Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »

Also, Garthy, I humbly offer up a gentleman's hat in return for hosting this game. Thankee kindly.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »

Xion:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them, they took long enough to write. Wink

shinygerbil was actually a human, but his ability was that he went into drunken rants where he could see the visions of the witches (at random) from the past night. He could have been very useful if anyone caught on. The rants were supposed to make the witches think "What the heck? Who is he, and why can he sometimes see my visions?", and possibly, after a few days, get the humans wondering too.

Re working with witches, a coven would have been great to see, but the difficulty is how you actually find the other witches.

Xotes:

You are most welcome. Smiley By the way, I'm wondering what's happened to all of the gentlemen icons. They seem to have vanished. Sad
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic