Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:23:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95244 times)
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: August 19, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »

Action heavy games aren't quite my thing, but I want to say your game looks fantastic. Good luck!
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: August 24, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »

Lots of new stuff since I haven't been updating  Shrug

First up is a different way of visualizing the damage, "damage stars".
Now, I'm not going to replace the numbers at all, you'll be able to throw those on if you want, or not have either the numbers or damage stars on at all.
Hopefully I'll get to the point where just looking at the particle effects and enemy reactions will tell you how effective your attacks are.
I think though, in order to make the damage stars work better is to reduce the damage values overall to commonly hang around the number 1.

Next is a new tileset that I threw together in a day or so.
Not really much to say, except I guess I realize that I have a formula for making tilesets which I guess works.

Last up is me refactoring the dialogue system. Let's just say it's much less of a headache to work with now and much much much more flexible than how it previously was. NPCs can now react to things that you do which will be very important in the game.

I'd say overall, I have a more clear vision of how the game is going to flow which really helps me focus on what needs to be done next.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 24, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Damage stars look good. I do the same thing w/ hearts in my game. I actually pop hearts out at faster speeds so that the visual isn't just "hey look", but a bit more tangible. Max damage attacks throw hearts all over the whole screen. Btw, do the small stars mean anything different than the big stars?

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »

HOLY CRAP HAS THIS GAME COME ALONG WAY SINCE YOU STARTED IT. I haven't seen it in a while but this is one of the first games I actually followed on here and it looks amazing. Any idea how far along you are with it these days?

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »

@xix
The big stars are 5 little stars, so pretty much 5 damage.

@thefoolishbrave
The game is at like 14% Shrug

So here's some more emote stuff.
This will be important to the game since you'll be interacting with a lot of NPCs.
I want them to feel more alive, and I get a chance to flex my animation muscles Wink

To get this stuff in I had to rewrite my dialogue system to handle XML stuff.
The way I had it before was pure trash, and just having the XML tags makes my entire dialogue system much much much more flexible.
I was amazingly pleased and I can't wait to see what I can do with this new system.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

Do you have another project or do you just not work on Elysis that often?
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: August 29, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »

Yeah, I'm working on Tangledeep, a JRPG inspired roguelike.
I'm the guy that designs and animates all the characters, monsters, and battle effects.
I also do all the skill icons.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 29, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

I see. Good luck on both of your projects.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:31 PM »

lol I'm back

Been working a lot on Tangledeep animations over the past few months, and have just now been able to touch up the stuff in my own game, with my newfound animation power.

The mace above is an entirely new weapon, and below is the foil with an updated attack animation, and charge attack animation, both of which didn't take that much time to fully implement.

I've been playing a bit of YS 8 and have been inspired by how quick all the action is in that game, so I've opted for more quick attacks and it feels pretty nice.

KeinZantezuken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 11, 2017, 10:41:16 AM »

Any particular reason being sword/slash being so small/short?
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »

lol I'm back

Been working a lot on Tangledeep animations over the past few months, and have just now been able to touch up the stuff in my own game, with my newfound animation power.

The mace above is an entirely new weapon, and below is the foil with an updated attack animation, and charge attack animation, both of which didn't take that much time to fully implement.

I've been playing a bit of YS 8 and have been inspired by how quick all the action is in that game, so I've opted for more quick attacks and it feels pretty nice.

Both animations are really good!  Grin

Games:

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: November 11, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

I haven't touched up the sword yet, but it will be a weapon that has a wider attack, but also a shorter reaching one than the mace and the foil.
For now I'm just playing with the idea of differentiating between each weapon.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: November 18, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »

Tileset, upgraded

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: November 19, 2017, 04:23:19 AM »

Did you upload some sort of demo where we can play with it?  Smiley

Games:

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: November 19, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »

That's some juicy new colors  Cheesy

Pixel.ABCD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »

Looks really cool.  Smiley
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 19, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »

How do you get your tilesets to look so seamless? There doesn't appear to be any apparent grid or anything. It looks super smooth. Especially in those marshy areas.

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: November 29, 2017, 05:03:59 AM »

@Ordnas - Working on it

@TitoOliveira - Thanks, I've noticed a change in how I do colors and it's definitely turning out for the better

@Pixel.ABCD - Thanks!

@Octopus Tophat - I think the trick is to have lots of variety in the tiles.
Maybe also trying to avoid straight lines in favor of more organic leafy shapes in the borders.
You want to break up repetition as much as you can

Added a new dodging mechanic where a well timed dodge restores your stamina fully and gives you invincibility and attack boost.
I like the idea of the dodge being more offensive based as I'm trying to make the combat faster paced

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: November 29, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »

@Octopus Tophat - I think the trick is to have lots of variety in the tiles.
Maybe also trying to avoid straight lines in favor of more organic leafy shapes in the borders.
You want to break up repetition as much as you can
I'm just wondering, are you using single sprites are you also using separate images?  For example, the mushrooms and flowers could be on a separate layer for added variety.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: November 29, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »

I have some layer stuff, the pink and white flower bunches are all on a separate layer.
Things like the walls and trees are on a separate layer from everything as well.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic