Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Kings of Power 4 Billion % - how is it possible?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kings of Power 4 Billion % - how is it possible?  (Read 4024 times)
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »

Okay, so I just watched "Kings of Power 4 Billion %", and I'm completely stupefied. How is it possible for a single person to create so much animated pixel art, and in such a short period of time to boot? I'm asking this as a serious question - this short film probably has as much content as something like Metal Slug, a game with a sizable team behind it.

Does creating this kind of stuff get significantly easier over time? Because as a beginning pixel artist, it takes me a few hours to get a simple frame done, and I can't even begin to imagine creating so much pixel art - let alone animating it. What are some tricks that he might have used to speed up the process?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:36:35 PM by archagon » Logged
The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »

It takes an eternity of practice.

Paul Robertson is IMMORTAL.
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »

Well, knowing how to draw and keeping the shading to a minimum or cel-shaded really helps, as well as keeping the style cartoony, where you don't have such a strict style to adhere to.

Pixel art is ideal for animations because it is so opaque. You can sketch, quickly clean up the outline, fill, and you're essentially done. Too much detail gets lost in motion.

There's no real tricks he could have used, it's a very straightforward process. He of course knows animation technique, which is far more important than his actual art. If a poorly drawn character is animated with proper anticipation and effect, it more than makes up for it.

I would assume it would become easier and more streamlined over time, as any process such as drawing or coding would go. That is, you learn how to make it better, faster.

archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »

Well, he could have, for instance, used some sort of engine to place and move around his sprites, as opposed to doing everything by hand.
The-Imp
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »

One may think so, you raise a good point.

I'm sure it's all the animation individually is done by hand though.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »

Maybe he has a warehouse full of chinese?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »

i love the idea of pixel movies

i liked superbrothers' work too

i really gotta do some shit like this sometime.

also the guy, paul robertson, he evidently uses technomagic of the pixel varieties   Hand Shake Left Wizard Hand Metal Right

Biggerfish
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:51 AM »

Well, he could have, for instance, used some sort of engine to place and move around his sprites, as opposed to doing everything by hand.
I honestly think it would be too much work without it.

Most likely it is as moi says.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:26:13 AM »

I'm pretty sure he uses Flash to compose the animations, move the characters around, etc.

Also, he does use a lot of loops, which saves much time but keeps things looking good.

M.D.K.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »

I think he used Multimedia Fusion (don't know which version)
I believe it shows up during the credits of Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006(GOD, thats that long ass name actually xD)
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »

I want Cab fight to be an actual game.  Cry
Quickly! Pick this guy up and make a xbox live arcade game!

Toucantastic.
M.D.K.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »

Wellm, He already works for the industry .  he made sprites for Contra 4 and Lock Quest.
And if there's one company that will make justice to the game are the same Tecnomagical people at The Behemoth   Hand Shake Left Wizard  Hand Metal Right
The-Imp
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »

Wellm, He already works for the industry .  he made sprites for Contra 4 and Lock Quest.
And if there's one company that will make justice to the game are the same Tecnomagical people at The Behemoth   Hand Shake Left Wizard  Hand Metal Right
The Behemoth's awesome, that would be awesome.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »

Man, I just watched this video the other day, and god, it is a condensed to critical point rule of cool.

Shall we discuss the plot?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »

Man, I just watched this video the other day, and god, it is a condensed to critical point rule of cool.

Shall we discuss the plot?
It was like something you would dream about.

konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »

As I've been a 2D animator for most of my professional video game career I can say that the video is perfectly feasible without "little tricks" to make animation and work go faster.

And as a side-note, his first video was much prettier and better animated, and less "horny anime nerd and panties".  Gentleman
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »

As I've been a 2D animator for most of my professional video game career I can say that the video is perfectly feasible without "little tricks" to make animation and work go faster.

And as a side-note, his first video was much prettier and better animated, and less "horny anime nerd and panties".  Gentleman

I think also the grey scaled colour choice in the first one was superior to these colours. Somehow black blood looks way more gory and good than bright red.

Soo, if you watch this and haven't watched the first one, go look for "Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006"!

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »

persona from the mechafetus crew provided assistance on this.  I think you can guess where he helped.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »

I rewatched PBCBS06 the other day thanks to this, remembering it as the superior one (especially the pregnant zombie women). I found it boring as shit with a horribly slow pace :/

The character designs were far superior on it than on this one, nevertheless.Gotta love octo megaman

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »

I rewatched PBCBS06 the other day thanks to this, remembering it as the superior one (especially the pregnant zombie women). I found it boring as shit with a horribly slow pace :/

The character designs were far superior on it than on this one, nevertheless.Gotta love octo megaman

YOU ARE AN EVIL MAN AND SHOULD BE HUMILIATED IN PUBLIC

Oh well, it indeed is quite much slower. But the character design is indeed the thing that makes it superior in my eyes Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic