Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 12:27:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Your first programming language
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Your first programming language  (Read 30846 times)
increpare
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »

Mine was Delphi

Oh the nostalgia!  I spent the first year messing about with the tables before I actually figured out how to program anything by hand WTF

For years it was still the language I would think in, and I thought it would always be, but I seem to be a lot less chained to any one language now.

Man.  Major nostalgia rush.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »

Quickbasic  Smiley

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »

Aw. Smiley

Mine was C64 BASIC!

I used to try to make games about my teddy bears. I'd usually run out of memory three screens into the game though, cos' I hadn't a clue what I was doing.

Wish I still had some of those games...

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:41 PM »

I started with BASIC on the ZX Spectrum, which was my first computer. It was a bootleg ZX Spectrum that a friend of my mom built for me and it had no disk drive, so I had to of course load everything off audio tapes, but alas i could not save to them, so when I wrote something I would be proud of, I'd keep the thing on until it eventually overheated and reset.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »

Python. I never actually used it for anything notable, but it was a good starting point in learning to program (and this was only a year ago, believe it or not. I haven't been programming for very long)

By now I've completely forgotten everything I learned about it, since all I'm really using now is C++, but I know some day I'll go back to it. It really is a great language, and I didn't actually realize how great it was until I started using C++.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »

Technically my first language was FORTRAN, but I didn't really understand what I was doing and started using Visual Basic later the same year.

I didn't really do much until I learned C++ in eighth grade, though.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »

Mine was Pascal in this DOS-like environment

It really was counter productive working in this ugly blue screen, creepy ancient shit
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »

I spent a lot of time working with QBasic - sometimes I kinda miss the blue screen Cry

Gnarf
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

First thing I tried making anything with was The Games Factory/Klik & Play. I got a demo of TGF from some magazine, then a full version of K&P from some other magazine, then a pirated full version of TGF from some guy. I made some thing with Liero like movement and "sort of" destructible terrain with TGF. It might have been a bit impressive for a TGF thing :| The only thing I "finished" (but never released or any such nonsense) was a top-down deathmatch thing with Star Wars guys in it. Which is a bit strange because I've never really been into Star Wars. For the record, most of the unfinished stuff had animals like sheep and pigeons and stuff in them; animals are a lot cooler than Star Wars.

First programming language I used might have been DarkBASIC or Blitz Basic. I tried out a ton of stuff. Messed with some QBasic, some Pascal stuff, failed horribly at learning any C/C++ quite a few times. Eventually got a full version of Blitz Basic with some magazine (magazines are awesome like that) and stuck with that for a while. Made half a horrible Jump'n'Bump clone that had some dogs in it.

It sort of sucked. I had some internets and some vague and wrong ideas about what I was looking for. Would've been cool if anyone where/when I grew up knew shit about computers and could have like given me a couple of hints or something. Oh well. Thank fuck there's university. It's all objects and models and machine code and shit these days. Wicked.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 05:08:42 PM »

I think I win

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

Flash ActionScript 2.0.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

Mine was BASIC on the TRS-80 Color Computer.  Later I moved on to Quickbasic.

I also played around with Hypertalk a lot.  I started by reading a book on Hypertalk over the summer with no access to a Mac at all.  The only reason I read it is because it looked neat.  I just went back to school in the fall and started making stacks like I'd been doing it for years.

I miss Hypercard Sad  Why don't they have something like that now?

I think I win

Holy crap, is that for real?

tweet tweet @j_younger
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »

Yeah I coded with that (but you couldn't do much with it)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »

I think I win

I think you're right.

I started with BASIC on whatever 8-bit computer I could get my hands on. Apple IIe, C64 etc.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

before i knew anything about programming or computer graphics i had thought that computers had a gigantic database of pictures that they showed you instead of layers of pictures, pixels, and other vectory stuff, and that when you gave input it would choose a different picture depending on what happened. awesome, no?

then i found BASIC, and within weeks was making epic text adventures. I downgraded to a TI-83 calculator for a bit, but after the pain it took to make even pong on such a thing (typing on a calc is unbearable), i gave up temporarily on programming. after a short hiatus filled with everything from 3d modelling to midi music, someone told me about Game Maker. hooray for GML.

now i'm trying to decide what to upgrade to (C++ / C# or Delphi or Java or something else), because while i do love GM i need MORE POWER (and control).

i also almost bought RPGmaker 3 for the playstation 2.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 06:22:20 PM »

Turing, the high-school a Pascal-ish language for  teaching high-school students. Grin

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »

um... possibly java if not that then visual basic

First thing I made anything in really though was fenix.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »

I spent a lot of time working with QBasic - sometimes I kinda miss the blue screen Cry
This.  Grin

I mucked around in GW-BASIC (on a 4-color CGA monitor) for a year or so before that, but QBasic was the language where I began to actually learn anything about programming. I still make sure to install a copy on every computer I own so I can boot it up whenever I get nostalgic for that blue IDE. I wish I'd understood debugging as a kid; somehow I never really learned to step through programs or watch variables in the Immediate window. Later, I picked up Visual Basic (noticing a trend?) and was finally forced to learn C/C++ in a matter of weeks for a college course that assumed knowledge of C++ but didn't tell the students that until the first assignment was handed out. Good times!

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 06:55:40 PM »

Flash ActionScript 2.0.
See above.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 08:04:54 PM »

Honestly even though it was my first I can't remember any QBasic at all. The only thing I remember was a lot of goto stuff. If someone dropped the QBasic IDE in front of me right now I'd have no idea what to do.
This is because I started learning C++ about 10 days later and liked it much more.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic