Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 02:30:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Your first programming language
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Your first programming language  (Read 30848 times)
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »

LOGO.  does anyone remember that turtle game that they would make you play in elementary school where you'd have to enter commands to move the turtle and rotate it and such?  apparently, that was very rudimentary programming.

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:26:41 PM »

LOGO.  does anyone remember that turtle game that they would make you play in elementary school where you'd have to enter commands to move the turtle and rotate it and such?  apparently, that was very rudimentary programming.
I never used LOGO, but I have certainly heard a lot about StarLogo (http://education.mit.edu/starlogo/).
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

good times, good times

Xenophobe
Level 0

wat fk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »

Assembly on C64.  Evil
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 02:28:48 AM »

ZZT-OOP, I think. Good times.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 03:31:18 AM »

Basic on an ABC 80 (Z80).
I made lots of games/clones on that one.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 03:33:29 AM »

Brainfuck.

Yes, really. Brainfuck was my first language.

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »

Pascal. Then C, X86 Assembly, C++ ... After that it kinda doesn't matter anymore.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:11:25 AM by Saint » Logged
Renton
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 04:08:15 AM »

I started with BASIC on the ZX Spectrum, which was my first computer. It was a bootleg ZX Spectrum that a friend of my mom built for me and it had no disk drive, so I had to of course load everything off audio tapes, but alas i could not save to them, so when I wrote something I would be proud of, I'd keep the thing on until it eventually overheated and reset.

High five! It was the exact same thing for me, except it was my dad who built a bootleg ZX81; of course, later upgraded it to Spectrum. I used to write my programs on a notebook so they wouldn't be lost and I could improve them later. Wish I still had that notebook. Good times. Beer!
Saker
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 04:36:25 AM »

Brainfuck.

Yes, really. Brainfuck was my first language.
Huh? ah ... looks like it is the language being used for duke fuckever
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:15 AM »

I spent a lot of time working with QBasic

That was my first one. DOS something. I remember doing some ASCII-based games: crappy little text adventures, a hacker game, even a kind of inverse Space Invaders where you were a little triangle descending upon a city and had to bomb all the skyscrapers. That was fun. I also messed around with the graphics mode a bit, doing all sorts of mathematically inspired rendering, some fractals even, but IIRC I never did a game in graphics mode at the time.

I started messing around with assembler pretty shortly afterwards. One thing I feel really nostalgic about is the combination of that debug.com program that came with DOS at the time and the book Inside the IBM PC by Peter Norton (I really have no idea how I got my hands on it at the time). That book taught me so much about computers, it just might have changed my life. I don't know if I'd gotten into programming so heavily if I hadn't read it front to back and back to front, over and over.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 06:06:40 AM »

Qbasic for me too. The blue is classic.

I downgraded to a TI-83 calculator for a bit, but after the pain it took to make even pong on such a thing (typing on a calc is unbearable),

TIBasic is where it's at! I picked up my TI-83+SE yesterday and right now I'm making a small breakout clone (possibly with multiple paddles). Finding the built-in syntax guide 1-2 years allowed me to do some real stuff on it like Pong, Scorched Earth and Conway's game of life. The hardware gives you an interesting set of limitations and I really don't mind using the menus for selecting the commands, you can become pretty fast when you start to memorize what sequence of keys to press (PRGM -> 5 gives you "while "). Most importantly it allows for the manipulation of single pixels and with a screen size of 96X64 it is possible to do lots of nice stuff.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
medieval
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2008, 06:53:27 AM »

game maker language.

when i looked a little into other languages i found it shocking that game maker was not really that close to how a real game is put together.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2008, 07:33:27 AM »

STOS Basic (imported from the UK!), then QBasic, then C/C++.
Funny how the more I learn new things, the less I get done.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2008, 07:37:55 AM »

Commodore PET Basic, then various short dalliances with Logo, some kind of basic on the Amstrad, C++ and Inform, then lots of first-order logic, finally HLSL and Game Maker.

coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »

Mine was basic on the C64 , and very quickly turned to this Smiley .

.main

lda #$00
sta $d020
sta $d021

lda #$82
.loop
cmp $d012
bne .loop

lda #$01
sta $d020
sta $d021

lda #$f2
cmp $d012
beq .main

rts

nowadays its mostly c/c++ with python for quick tests and arb/cg for shaders
Jed

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:58 PM »

Ruby. Cave Story

iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »

BASIC on Matra Alice for basic learning, then assembly on 386 for graphic and games.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 03:21:06 PM »

Aw. Smiley

Mine was C64 BASIC!

I used to try to make games about my teddy bears. I'd usually run out of memory three screens into the game though, cos' I hadn't a clue what I was doing.

Wish I still had some of those games...
Commodore PET Basic, then various short dalliances with Logo, some kind of basic on the Amstrad, C++ and Inform, then lots of first-order logic, finally HLSL and Game Maker.
Mine was basic on the C64 , and very quickly turned to this Smiley .

C64 ASM

nowadays its mostly c/c++ with python for quick tests and arb/cg for shaders
Jed
C64 BASIC first-timers unite!

I almost got into assembly but could never find a good book.

After that I went to Apple BASIC, then Apple Pascal, then Turbo Pascal, then C, the C++, the Java, and now I'm looking at python and licking my lips.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
mildmojo
Level 1

summer rain (soon)

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »

I miss Hypercard Sad  Why don't they have something like that now?

I've read a few articles about how it's a lot harder for kids and the inexperienced to get into programming these days.  The gist is usually that it's only marginally harder to get free, simple dev tools, but the output expectations have gone up dramatically.  A beginner game programmer wants to see 2D or even 3D animation right from the start.

I found a project by the inimitable _why called Hackety Hack that's sort of targeted at that audience.  It uses Ruby and a very high-level set of libraries to accomplish big things with little code.

My start was with BASIC magazine type-ins on the Apple II+ well after that machine's heyday.

DEMAKE compo entry: Road Trip: Southwest USA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic