Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 09:39:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsParkitect - business simulation
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Parkitect - business simulation  (Read 140447 times)
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »

Thank you so much for all the help with the name, there are some interesting suggestions Smiley

Here's a little park we put together for screenshot saturday - as you can see we added a ferris wheel, a candy shop, and a bit of vomit Smiley

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2014, 04:31:31 PM »

this looks better with every new thing you put into Smiley

amazing, can't wait to see more, can't wait to play it! Hand Money Left  Epileptic Hand Money Right

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »

This thing is really cool.
handro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Looking real good.  Can't wait to see it with vegetation!
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »

Please make the handymen easier to manage than in RCT.
Those ones had a terrible system of laying out vague patrol areas and came with the unnecessary ability to mow grass.

jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:57 AM »

This game looks very awesome. A lot of nostalgia and the flat 3D design gives it a fresh look. I'm interested to see what new features you will add into the game.

Also, I hope you do not mind, I shared a link to your devlog and several of your photos over at http://www.shyguysworld.com/ . Shyguy's World is a forum focused on the Rollercoaster Tycoon genre and I thought they would be very interested to hear about your game.

Since I did not ask beforehand, if you do mind, I can take down the post. Although I am sure you can gain a few fans from the share.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:04:24 AM by jddg5wa » Logged

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
The Interloper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2014, 05:28:11 AM »

Really excited for this, I was a big fan of RCT. The art style looks great already! Much cleaner looking than RCT.

Considering names, if you're trying to keep it short, maybe combining some words would help get the message across in less space. Things like 'Coasterland' and 'Rollermaster'.

Twitter: @Will_Cockrill
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »

Yeah, if you could go ahead and name it Thrillz that'd be great.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »

Those ones had a terrible system of laying out vague patrol areas and came with the unnecessary ability to mow grass.

I actually kind of liked that lawn mowing was an unnecessary job but it made the parks look and feel cleaner to me (which might have just been my OCD). That's pretty much what lawn mowing is in real life and I liked that it was in the game. I can certainly see why you guys would leave it out. If it was going to be a feature I at least think it should be off by default for new handymen. I never bothered with lawnmowers until I could hire four or five of 'em without it having much effect on profits.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »

I just caught wind of this through Twitter; it is looking very lovely!
I adored Roller Coaster Tycoon 1&2, but I think I played them too much back when; the idea of coming back to them now doesn't excite me much... this thing does!

and if you happen to feel like your game is in need of music...

Also-
Ups & Downs
Pick this; it is delightful!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »

Pick a name already  Wink
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »

Roller Coaster Tycoon is pretty much the best thing ever, so this game has me really excited.

Though I understand why many people don't like them, I think that one of the best aspects of the original Roller Coaster Tycoon titles is the geometric limitations; seeing those kept in this project makes my mind restless with inspiration.

Another essential element of the experience is crowd noise.

Can't wait to see more!

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
balidani
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »

Hello!

I just discovered this on reddit today, and it's amazing! Looks so much better than RCT3. I love it.

As (I guess) everyone here, I'm a huge fan of RCT (1 and 2). I'd like to be a part of this, in any way I can; coding, spreading the word, money even. Is there, or will there be a dedicated site/blog for this project? I'd love to know all the details and how I can contribute.

Cheers!
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2014, 01:58:37 PM »

Oh man, we got a bit overrun by reddit - didn't plan this to be a big announcement or something like that. Expected maybe 10 comments at best.

Yeah! Something like the Prison Architect patrol system? Or maybe they're just intelligent enough to not need patrol points...not sure yet.

Also, I hope you do not mind, I shared a link to your devlog and several of your photos over at http://www.shyguysworld.com/

We were really hesitant to share the game with RCT communities at this early stage since we don't have much to set ourself apart yet - but now it happened and it's alright, no worries! Thanks for the support!

Is there, or will there be a dedicated site/blog for this project? I'd love to know all the details and how I can contribute.

Thank you! We started work on a dedicated site today, hopefully we'll have something ready soon.

Current devlog: Parkitect, a theme park simulation, currently on Kickstarter | Twitter
thatjaneng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »

omg this is looking so fun.  this is my favorite type of game. I'm so excited for this.  it's been so long since RCT I don't even remember all the features in those.  Would love to play even super early versions if you need any feedback on anything!  Waaagh!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:35:13 PM by thatjaneng » Logged

@thatjaneng.  with Campo Santo .  making Firewatch
jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »

Also, I hope you do not mind, I shared a link to your devlog and several of your photos over at http://www.shyguysworld.com/

We were really hesitant to share the game with RCT communities at this early stage since we don't have much to set ourself apart yet - but now it happened and it's alright, no worries! Thanks for the support.
I should have really asked first but I am glad you don't mind. At this point it's probably to late for me to be deleting the thread anyways Shrug. Either way your intuition was right, some people are talking about how the game is similar. Although it sounds like your planning on having unique features which I look forward to and am sure they would change some opinions.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Lejving
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2014, 02:37:06 AM »

I think the programmer art is its charm.

Haha, thank you! Speaking of art, I found an artist! I'm sure we can improve the charm Smiley

I implemented pathfinding today (simple A*). This will mostly be used by staff, but also by guests on special occasions.

Also, shops now have a stock. Some shops will need multiple resources to be able to sell their goods, for example the hot dog stall might need buns, sausages and ketchup. These resources will be delivered to your park and have to be transported to the shops (this will be done automatically, you just have to make sure there's enough staff for transportation or your shops might run out of stock).
I'm not entirely sure yet how well this fits into the game, but I think it offers some neat possibilities:
  • it will be tweakable how many resources to put into a product (e.g. how much ketchup to put on a hot dog), which will have different effects: on the one hand you can save costs by needing less resources and have to transport less, on the other hand customers might not be as satisfied. Also, it allows to easily implement certain effects, for example having guests become more or less thirsty depending on the saltiness of the fries they eat or making drinks more desirable in a hot climate by adding more icecubes
  • production costs for sold goods aren't just an abstract number
  • it makes you think more about the layout of your park
  • fun to watch staff hauling stuff around
  • gives you something to optimize once you're done building all the other stuff (I think RCT could get a bit boring after you ran out of space/attractions to build)

On the other hand, it'll make shops that are far away from the entrance less worthwhile, which I might have to find a solution for.

Easy solution: add 1x2 buildings that are deliverystations that you can place at the edge of the park border(one square outside, one square inside) . Maybe we could plan their routes like in transport tycoon also? That'd be sweet!

Some other things I'd like to see that I miss from rct if you want suggestions:

- auto save
- more than one entrance
- easy to add user made content (buildings, art, shops and so on)
- sort of a campaign mode?
- if you raise ground above item ex roller coaster then make a tunnel
- banked s bends (heh dunno how these would work)
- make peeps able to "see", if they walk inside a loop for example they'd get interested in that ride and maybe directly go to it (or just better ai in general)
- things like if you do a station fly by people who queue would get more excited for the ride
- sell things in queue lines
- park flag with customizable logo
- previous said flag to be able to put it on the ride (http://i.imgur.com/LUFmdMX.jpg)
- easier fencing (no clue how it work but it's very annoying right now in rct)

Made an account just because I got so excited for this, would love to help in any way possible!

Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »

Hey, thanks for the suggestions!
We have a clearer vision of what we want to do with deliveries in the meantime, should get interesting!

Banked S-bends are already buildable. I'm more and more convinced that it would be really stupid to not have user made content, but for now we'll focus on actually making the game, so that'll be something for the far future.
Everything else is entirely possible, we'll just have to see how much we'll be able to do Smiley

In development news, after mostly just answering questions the last 2 days, I made a small tool for defining how much space an object needs (that is, how far away you have to stay with other buildings/paths/coaster tracks):

Also, Garret made a couple more things that I've got to get into the game yet, and made good progress on a website design.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:24:12 AM by Sebioff » Logged

balidani
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2014, 05:10:25 AM »

I really like the name "Coasters Inc." btw, if you guys are still considering that one.
Googling it also shows that there aren't any similar projects with that name yet.
Sebioff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 07, 2014, 02:52:46 AM »

This week we worked on some smaller details - for example a bit of vegetation and overhangs on slopes. Also starting to pay more attention to overall appearance and colors. The blur is not on during normal gameplay, it'll be a special screenshot mode.

Did some refactoring, so there are a few minor bugs visible Smiley

Also, I've got to bring up the name topic yet again Crazy
Our new favorite is "Velocity Park", how's that?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic