Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 06:12:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 150105 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »

Could you try unfocusing and refocusing the game window if it does that. There were some issues with window focusing in SFML. It would sometimes all of the sudden get an event that the window was unfocused, when really it wasn't. Even in full-screen.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

It's been a month since the last gameplay video. I think that's a criminally long time, so in order to avoid court, I made a new one. Here it is!

It's a bit long, sorry for that. And the sound is messed up, again. I did record at a higher framerate but I guess I need the full 60 frames per second or whatever. Oh, well. There's also a bit where I messed up playing. I left the ship to go exploring without taking any food or water with me, so I had to go back Lips Sealed Luckily I hadn't gotten far.

Hoping to get a new playable build out, too, this week hopefully. It'll be pretty much the same what you see in the video.

One thing I need to improve is how you take food and water along from the ship or wherever. It's too slow of a process at the moment, even with just two characters. Once you're out exploring, the eating and drinking is less tedious as I feared. It doesn't happen too often, I guess that's why.

EJRobertson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »

Looks brilliant! Will definitely want to try it when it comes out.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

I'll try to get the build out as soon as possible.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »

Awesome! The particles from the ship's wake still drift onto nearby land, though.

brettchalupa
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »

I really like the style and the support for OS X and Windows. Opened up and played the OP build, and really enjoying it. The music and style seem to really fit. Coffee
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »

SFML multimedia library is weird as SFML is simple fast multimedia library

You can rather use Powered by SFML
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »

Awesome! The particles from the ship's wake still drift onto nearby land, though.

Thanks, never really got around to that. Fixed!

I really like the style and the support for OS X and Windows. Opened up and played the OP build, and really enjoying it. The music and style seem to really fit. Coffee

Thanks, I needed that cup of coffee. Yeah, if the framework supports those systems, it'd be a waste not to use them. I'm not sure about Linux, I mean I'd like to support it but don't really have access to a Linux system atm, nor do I have to knoweldge of that.

SFML multimedia library is weird as SFML is simple fast multimedia library

You can rather use Powered by SFML

Rightrightright, 'powered by' sound better, changed that. Thanks. Although SFML is a multimedia library, it's just a name. If it stood for Sad Fungus Must Leave then would 'SFML multimedia library' work better? Grin I don't think there's a difference.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2012, 01:39:53 AM »

lawd
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »

It's looking pretty sick
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Thanks. So I worked like crazy this evening and rewrote most of the actions logic and fixed a whole lot of things. I wish all of my time was this productive. Now there are separate actions that the character can do depending on where he is (in a ship or in a camp or whatever) and actions that are contextual and depend on whatever type of tile or object you right-click on. For example, if you want to disembark, you go near the land and right-click on an empty piece of land and choose 'Disembark' from the popup menu. I think it makes more sense.

So, here is Build 2. I hope it works because I'm pretty sure rewriting this much creates new bugs as well. Mac version is coming tomorrow I hope. Mac version is now available as well.

Download for Windows
Download for Mac

If there are any issues or crashes, please let me know so I can fix them as soon as possible. But it should be pretty playable. Enjoy Smiley

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:31:30 PM by Eigen » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »

Mac version is now available as well. See the previous post for the link. Only a few people have downloaded it so far, which sadly is not as enthusiastic and inspiring as the feedback I've gotten in this topic. If at one point you've liked what you've seen, then now is the time to try it out Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:00:48 PM by Eigen » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »

I saw an eagle!

The Help and About dialogue boxes can be opened more than once, requiring each one to be closed before continuing the game.

Is there a way to play in fullscreen?

Is there a way to cancel the order to build the tent?  I can scroll through the inventory and even the characters after Using the tent but it stays under the tool-tip, even if the selected character doesn't have a tent.  Interestingly, if I use one character's tent, then select a different character, then go back to the first character and place the tent the result is a campfire only.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

I saw an eagle!

Eagle!

The Help and About dialogue boxes can be opened more than once, requiring each one to be closed before continuing the game.

Thanks, I'll make a note of that and fix it in the future.

Is there a way to play in fullscreen?

Yes. In the main menu there is an Options button. Or you could change the conf file in the data folder.

Is there a way to cancel the order to build the tent?  I can scroll through the inventory and even the characters after Using the tent but it stays under the tool-tip, even if the selected character doesn't have a tent.  Interestingly, if I use one character's tent, then select a different character, then go back to the first character and place the tent the result is a campfire only.

Good call. The building action (and the object under cursor) where not cleared when you changed character or action. I went ahead and fixed that along with some other things and uploaded the file again. The other things were such as hunger and thirst values going negative. It didn't show because the progress/value bar widget is limited to 0. I only realized it when eating and the bar didn't change because it was still negative.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2012, 03:03:18 AM »

It's been a quiet weekend so I've gotten little done.

Devlog 8

* Made paths. Whenever your unit moves, it leaves a path on the ground. Different animals will have different patterns, so you could identify if a bear or a wolf has gone by. Paths should disappear over time probably.
* Redid the inventory panel on the sidebar. It's now tabbed just as the players one. The first tab is all about the items, the second one is for seeing overall information of your inventory - how much items you have, how much space you have left etc.
* When picking up food, water or whatever items, the weight is now taken into account, so you can't pick up more than you can carry.
* Fixed the bug where several copies of the same window could be opened.

If you haven't played the latest build yet, please try it out. I would love to know what to change and what to keep Smiley

You can clearly see where I've walked.

edit: The paths added more to the feel of the game than I expected. Now, when playing, I really feel like I'm the first person to ever set foot on those lands. It's very surprising that such a small feature could have such a great impact (subjective of course). How very strange.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:46:49 AM by Eigen » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2012, 01:04:29 PM »

A quick update of the quick sort.

I needed to take a short break from programming and since my eyes and hand weren't co-operating today I ditched the idea of trying to draw anything. So I grabbed a q-tip, cleared my ears and did some musicifation.

Beyond The Horizon

It's not the most complex piece composition wise, I admit. It's long (6:31) and repetitive but it's rather happy sounding and works really well as a background music. And I'm writing the music to be just that - in the background.

Also, the Mac version of the latest build now works on OS X 10.6 as well, it had some issues there previously.

I'll be back with some real progress later this week hopefully.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

Really nice, it still keeps the exploration theme
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »

Working on the town where you start your game and where you can go back between expeditions. There you hire men from the tavern, buy supplies from the supply store (not drawn yet), get quests and whatnot.

Work in progess. There will be some houses and other details.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

DO I SEEN AN EASTER EGG WIP ON THE TOP RIGHT?
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »

DO I SEEN AN EASTER EGG WIP ON THE TOP RIGHT?
...That's probably a light house.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic