Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 02:47:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUniverse in a Box
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Universe in a Box  (Read 3621 times)
rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

Hello, new here and just wanted to try posting some of what I've been working on to see what people think.

The project started off as just a universe simulation, with randomly generated galaxies, nebulae, planets, etc. Once that portion of it was pretty much done it's been moving towards a a game, sort of a mix of Civilization and Spore except on a larger scale.

Here's a video of the basic engine. This video is a bit outdated, but it gets the general idea across. It's also not as high quality as I might like, so it doesn't look as good as the program does.

And here's a video of part of the system for designing a race, which is still heavily under development.

The idea is that you unlock/discover different genes which you can mix and match and also manually adjust the pairs to discover special effects or bonuses. Normally the effects of the modifications would remain secret until letting it remain active for a generation.

Anyways, that's the gist of it. Any questions/comments/suggestions please let me know.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:12:25 AM »

That's really nice. What's the green stuff when you're zooming in from the galaxy to the star?

That gene stuff is crazy. It makes me think of learning magic spells. Is there a way for the player to keep track of what change gives what effects?

rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »

Thanks for the reply. The mid level is the nebula/cluster level. They are randomly created and admittedly the one that I happened to view wasn't the best looking one. I should probably show some more samples if I make another video.

As far as keeping track, not yet. That system is brand new and isn't really implemented except as a tester. I haven't really decided how I want it to work entirely yet.
aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »

That's looking really amazing. I'm curious to see how you're going to develop it. Personally, I'd love to see it as the basis for an Elite-style game, with galaxies, races, planets and cities generated procedurally.

Nice work.
rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »

Thanks. That is how it is set up at the moment. The universe is made up of 4000 galaxies, each having on average 1200 clusters with 8 systems each having 4 planets. So about 153600000 worlds.

To start out, only basic information about the galaxies is created. When you visit a galaxy it generates the basics of the clusters, and if you zoom in on a cluster, it generates the basic information on that systems in that cluster and so on. When leaving, enough information is retained to reproduce what you visited and nothing more. And I was intending to implement a system so that areas that you visit and don't come back to for a long period of time would eventually start removing the saved information from the smallest level first.
farcodev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »

great work, keep it up !
aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »

When you visit a galaxy it generates the basics of the clusters, and if you zoom in on a cluster, it generates the basic information on that systems in that cluster and so on. When leaving, enough information is retained to reproduce what you visited and nothing more. And I was intending to implement a system so that areas that you visit and don't come back to for a long period of time would eventually start removing the saved information from the smallest level first.

That sounds fantastic, and coincidentally it's exactly what I'm planning to do on a city-level scale with my own game http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17841.0

Hope it goes well, I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress.
Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:11 AM »

Hi, that looks pretty good!!

I found the gameplay of Spore to be a bit shallow, which was dissapointing to me. It'd be really interesting if this game would be deeper Smiley
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »

I'm a total sucker for games like this, *trails off mid sentence to check if Noctis V is done* I love the idea of creating an alien race by modifying it's DNA.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:18 AM »

Wow, that looks amazing, can't wait to see what you do with this.  Although, one pedantic point: shouldn't those galaxies really be spinning the other way?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »

This looks amazing. And looks like it will require an amazing attention to detail and micromanagement.

shouldn't those galaxies really be spinning the other way?

They're in Australia, I think.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »

Spinning the other way? Direction of spin is entirely dependent on viewpoint for one thing. There is no 'up' in space, and if you view a clockwise spinning galaxy from 'below' it will be spinning counterclockwise. Thus you can't really define the direction of spin except as relative to a viewpoint. If anything, half of them could be spinning the other direction.
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »

Spinning the other way? Direction of spin is entirely dependent on viewpoint for one thing. There is no 'up' in space, and if you view a clockwise spinning galaxy from 'below' it will be spinning counterclockwise. Thus you can't really define the direction of spin except as relative to a viewpoint. If anything, half of them could be spinning the other direction.
You're overthinking it. Look at the way the spiral arms are pointing. They're going into the spin, whereas they should be trailing away from it.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »

I don't think that's what they were referring to. I agree that they should trail a bit though, right now they are just a perfect spiral.
shortKatz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »

Great idea, love it! This might just have all the things many people missed in Spore.

What kind of music were you thinking of for this? Ambient tracks like Brian Eno did in Spore? Send me a PM if you need someone. Well, hello there!

rubixcuber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »

Glad you like the idea. I was thinking about trying my hand at procedural music, just having a continual stream that changed style depending on what you are doing. I'm a classical pianist in addition to programmer, so I figured I might be able to pull it off.

I certainly wouldn't mind getting someone to do music as it saves me from having to worry about it, but it looks like you'd be charging for your services and I doubt I'll be paying anyone to work on this anytime soon.
SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »

There doesn't seem to be much unsaid along the lines of looks cool... Guess i'll just say "neat".

I'm interested in how you generate the initial positions of the stars. Mind sharing a snippet of the source?

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 11:22:11 AM »

Amazing tech. Much respect. Also hey, don't worry too much about the data footprint, people have lots of space these days.

Ice Water Games
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

ohhhh beautiful...

I am so much in support of this project.

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 05:15:58 AM »

This looks very promising, cant wait to test it. The interface looks very easy to use, I would try to keep it as minimal as possible.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic