Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 07:42:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJWRPG [abandoned]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JWRPG [abandoned]  (Read 3167 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »

DOWNLOAD JWRPG [abandoned]

This is a game I've worked on a bit since march 2009, and it ended up pretty dead to me. It's got lovely art by Pietepiet and awesome music by Brother Android.

Expect randomly generated levels, tons of classes, fire crabs, zebra mounts, giant bird plants and a lot more stuff like that.

CONTROLS:
wasd to move
lmb to slash
rmb for special attack
n for new game
c to continue

THIS GAME IS ABANDONED
I worked on this game since march 2009, but ended up being pretty unhappy with the combat. It is a hack and slash with randomly generated levels and tons of classes. In it you can be a bear underwater, kill elves and fight fire crabs.
the ocean has no boss and is not beatable. the game has no end
the art is half my own and half pauls work.
I also think going to the arena breaks the game. Don't go there (it's the yellow building)

There's a lot wrong with this game, it's old, and I won't continue work on it. Maybe some people might like it.

thanks!

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:20:21 AM »

This game is as lovely as ever. Thanks for sharing it with us instead of hoarding its abandoned goodness to yourself

<3

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »

ya thanks. the combat is a bit simplistic but it more than makes up for it with content. nice visuals and music too, glad you shared it with us.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »

yeah, the combat was the main reason for abandoning this. the whole mouse sword thing and distance keeping doesn't really work. I guess once you level a bit and play as a cool class it gets more fun.

thanks guys!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:05:36 PM »

you should so totally release the source for this, the way you generated levels is pretty damn clever.

Eibx
Level 0

ヽ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ノ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

I really enjoyed the combat! The enemies with bows are so much fun to play against.
I see where it isn't always fair, but I like the challenge.

Amazing game, thanks for sharing it!

"You need to be logged in to log out. Please log in to log out."
Qode
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »

It looks great, it's a shame you're abandoning it.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:52 AM »

you should so totally release the source for this, the way you generated levels is pretty damn clever.

I second this.

Personally, I think it's really quite fun. All it's lacking is something to slash besides enemies - some kind of obstacles to bust open and compartmentalize the levels would be nice; maybe be a little more generous with the treasure (implement a cash/scoring system?).

The only fumble I had with the game was mandatory mouse-aiming, and with the combination of roaming and fighting, I can see why you'd go with that. I'm playing on a netbook though, and it doesn't like using keys and moving the cursor at the same time. So I ended up spending most battles facing one direction, and manuevering around to get in hit range. A little more knockback when hitting bosses would help; because it sucks that scoring a hit on a boss often results in taking a blow yourself.

Zebra is an awesome touch, too. So... does the forest simply loop itself when you win it? Or am I somehow insta-dying unexpectedly?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic