Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 04:20:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJables's Adventure [RELEASED]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Author Topic: Jables's Adventure [RELEASED]  (Read 64137 times)
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2010, 02:51:52 AM »

ok, i know this is maybe mean, but this looks a ton like cave story. 

from the gun mechanics to the enemies to the spike graphics to the blocks in the background to the stacks-of-background-blocks-with-one-foreground-block-on-top. 

Huh?

not trying to belittle this at all, since it seems great.. but it's very cave-story-esque. 
Then again, if we look at games like that, the world probably have only less than 15 games, lol. I think though some games has really similar gameplay, having a different world/ setting alone can make the game tons of fun. That's really why there's so many JRPG to begin with.

Oh, and I respect Jajitsu for making something completely kid friendly. I would take note of that.....after I'm done with my own ultra violent game right now, lol.

Saker
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2010, 03:49:04 AM »

Maybe we should just face it and let CaveStory-like be a genre as in rouge-like or something ;P

P.S : I can't wait to play with that bear under the sea :D
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2010, 03:57:06 AM »

...It still doesn't make sense, because Cave Story is already a "Metroidvania"... Which IS a genre that has been pulled from existing games.

Anyway, yeah, kudos for making such an effort to be kid-friendly.
That is one of my goals for a project I have lined up for next month (the one that will involve the characters I posted in the art thread, if anybody has seen those), although I wasn't just thinking of kids:
It's worth noting that making a game safer for children also increases its appeal to more adults, because (in my experience, anyway) there are a lot of people who become upset or even just uninterested by blood, language, unnecessary levels of violence, etc.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
MaloEspada
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »

...It still doesn't make sense, because Cave Story is already a "Metroidvania"... Which IS a genre that has been pulled from existing games.

Please, stop with this. Cave story is not a metroidvania. It's a linear game and that's it. There is no exploration whatsoever.
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »

I'm in the middle of building access token graphs (e.g. missiles unlock bombs), as an exercise in good MetroidVania design, and it turns out that Cave Story is way more complicated than Super Metroid.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »

Yeah, I disagree.
Cave Story does involve some exploration... There are hidden areas and extra items... Granted, that's not so much "exploration" as it is "discovery", I suppose. Progression is similar to Zelda games, I guess... and I wouldn't call those completely linear.
I would say comparisons to Metroid games are not totally unwarranted. Granted, I don't have a tremendous level of experience with them, so my view may be tainted. But to me, if Spelunky counts as a Roguelike (I think it does, and that's a genre I have explored a lot more thoroughly), Cave Story counts as a Metroidvania.
It seems to me that a some of this does have to do with personal opinion; I don't think it's completely fair to say, "This belongs in that genre or category, and that's just the way it is."
The main bulk of what I was saying was that Cave Story is nothing totally novel. But I also think the concept of "totally novel" is elusive to the point of being more or less nonexistent.

Sorry for turning this into a discussion about Cave Story (which really needs to continue elsewhere if it's going to continue at all [and I am by no means opposed to that happening; I'm not trying to have "the last word" or something dumb like that])! This is supposed to be about Jables!
On that note-
I really like all of the monsters featured in the video. The scuba bear is a fun idea, and I especially thought the orange crawly things (I don't really know how else to describe them) in the lava level were neat. They probably jumped out to me more because they remind me a little of something I drew once... Yours look a lot cooler, though.

I'm guessing this is something you're not going to share at this point, but I'll ask anyway: Are there going to be more tools or weapons other than the basic gun, the scuba gear, and the jetpack (or whatever that was) that were shown in the video?

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »

Thanks for getting back on the Jables topic, and sorry but no.
There are 4 levels with a new tool at the end of each [minus the last level] which you could not advance without.

Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »

know what fruit helps you advance with?

Well, hello there!

"insta-fucking-ly"
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »

Sooo first I'd like to say sorry for missing the August deadline.

But the release isn't far off at all. Aside from a few tunes I still need from Kevin the game is done.

today I am going to send it out to a few beta testers, and I'll be fixing what they say within the next couple of days.

Once done, I'll update here and my site, so look out for that.

thanks to everyone who has followed the game so far.

Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »

Can't wait! The excitement is getting to me  Crazy
increpare
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »

Take your time - no rush.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »

Take your time - no rush.

I agree... So is it out yet? WHERE IS MY GAME?! lol Tongue
MaloEspada
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »

//Spoiler info removed as per request. Sorry ein.

- Melly
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:45:24 PM by Melly » Logged
Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »

ein are you that retarded that you wouldnt just pm that?

like seriously.

edit: ^^^ i stand by that.
melly. you freakin rock dude.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:53:11 PM by Mar » Logged

"insta-fucking-ly"
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:29 AM »

Last tune heading yur way tomarw dude :D Gief Beta!

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
MaloEspada
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »

ein are you that retarded that you wouldnt just pm that?

like seriously.

edit: ^^^ i stand by that.
melly. you freakin rock dude.

Why don't you just get banned?  Smiley

Also, I found out what was that bright yellow thing. nice ref.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »

Alright everyone the game is finished!

Thanks everyone who has followed this devlog since the beginning.

The game was great fun to make and I'm glad I stuck with it.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2010, 04:04:07 PM »

Whenever I beat the first boss, he falls over, but then just goes back to his standing sprite and the walls never disappear, meaning I can't progress.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »

Whenever I beat the first boss, he falls over, but then just goes back to his standing sprite and the walls never disappear, meaning I can't progress.

Same. So uh yea, game killer bug. Sad
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: September 07, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »

gah. I have to go to work in 6 mintues. I'll fix it when i'm home.

you couldn't talk to him though?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic