Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 07:48:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCave of the Space Worm! [was: Ship Movement Feedback]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Cave of the Space Worm! [was: Ship Movement Feedback]  (Read 4931 times)
Curseman
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »

It seems pretty solid.  I'm impressed with how much it's improved.  It has frozen on me twice though.  Both times it was in green rock while I was trying to bomb green worms, but I have no idea if that actually has anything to do with it.  Sounds continue to play after the picture freezes up.
akuryo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 02:50:43 AM »

Didn't read the whole topic, maybe it has already been said, but :

The current graphics are BULLSHIT. Really, it's horrible, my eyes bleed, horrible repetitive textures!

The previous ones are cool though, simple, clean, captain forever like.
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »

The graphics were hand-tuned for maximum eye-bleed.   Evil

Nah, that would imply that I have some kind of control over what my artwork looks like.  :D

The lockup issue is really strange.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.
increpare
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 09:28:35 AM »

I liked this game; got as far as being able to blow up green rocks; then went exploring without having my ship follow me around so I sort of stopped levelling up.

Curseman
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »

The lockup issue is really strange.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.

By "trying to bomb green worms" I meant "spamming the crap out of the bomb button as fast as possible" if that helps at all.

Edit:

It froze again.  This time I was piloting the big ship, and crashed into some green worms on the leftish side of the screen, so it must've not had anything to do with the bombs.  I wonder if there isn't something wrong with that part of the map, since every time it's happened to me it's been on the left side in the green rocks.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 07:58:18 PM by Vanguard » Logged
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »

Ah ha, it looks like there's an issue with the edge of the map.  I think I know what the problem is, I'll see if I can fix it.
Drew
Level 0

Hooray

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »

Ok, the new version is up.  The bug should be fixed now.  (Bounds-check your arrays in BOTH directions, folks Roll Eyes)  I also turned the difficulty down a bit.

Thanks for finding the bug, Vanguard. 

I think Increpare's comment hits on a good point.  I think the game has some fun to it,  but the mistake I made was to stretch the fun out over such a gigantic space.  There really isn't enough fun to justify the length or size of the game.  After you see where it's going there isn't much else to it.

Anyway, thanks everyone who played the game.  Next time i think I'll try something a bit smaller, though.  :D
Curseman
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 01:27:39 PM »

Thanks for finding the bug, Vanguard.
You're welcome.

Now that I've been able to finish the game, here's my full review:

I think that it's a fun game overall.  I like how the two different ships control slightly differently.  I like how messy and chaotic things look as bits of broken walls and dead worms are flying all over, and I like using gold to upgrade your ship and access new parts of the game area.  It's fun (if a bit overpowered) to spam all of your bombs over an area overrun with worms.

As was said before though, the game area is too big for what the game does, and I think there were a few missed opportunities.  The larger ship is mostly dead weight that has to be carried around for the smaller ship.  Maybe it would be better if the big ship could auto-follow when the player wants it to, or have some sort of digging ability of its own so the player doesn't need to always make two trips.  The worms make good enough enemies, but more variety would be good, like worms that can dig slowly, worms with ranged attacks, enemies that can only be dealt with using the large ship, or stronger, non-respawning enemies.

Since the only way to repair the big ship is by collecting gold, it means that damage is not particularly significant near the start of the game, where you'll level soon enough anyway, but after level 6 (is that the level cap?  If it's not it may as well be, since getting to level 7 takes longer than finishing the game does) all damage to the big ship is permanent.  Maybe it would work better if levelling up didn't heal you, but instead you recovered a tiny bit of health for every few pieces of gold you collected so the big ship would have a reason for collecting it after level 6.  Then again, you could exploit that by waiting for a room to fill and bombing the crap out of it, so I dunno.

A few people complained about the graphics, but I think they kind of work.  It feels kind of like an old Atari game to me.  I already mentioned that I liked the bits of rock and enemies flying around.  The repeating textures on the rocks don't make them look entirely solid or natural, but they do make it easy to tell exactly how many squares there are between any two points, and they also show "veins" of different types of rock, which is a nice little touch.  I think I liked the blue ship better than the brown one, but that's okay.

Overall the game is flawed, but still good.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »

Frankly, the old graphics look over-all more polished. Shrug

Anyways, it's a super fun game, I wish there was some way to save though.

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »

Tried the game out. It's fairly fun and has an interesting concept, but I think it doesn't go far enough with it, and takes a while to pick up the pace. It can get a bit monotonous after a while. But it's an interesting effort.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic