Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:23:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDWARVES --- It's done and I added a Post Mortem post.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: DWARVES --- It's done and I added a Post Mortem post.  (Read 22985 times)
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2015, 07:49:24 AM »

The english facebook page for the game just went online. It's going to be the major source for official info-nuggets:
https://www.facebook.com/dwarvesgame

To quote the most interesting infos regarding gameplay:

- The background story of the game is based on the first book of the novel series “The Dwarves” from Markus Heitz, but additionally offers numerous new quests and characters
- The protagonist Tungdil gathers a group of up to 12 companions around him over time; each of them with their own back-story and unique skills in combat (think of „Fire Emblem“)
- Before each battle you assemble a group of up to four heroes, who then fight hundreds of enemies simultaneously; Helm’s Deep sends its regards!
- You travel through "Girdlegard" on a world map that contains dozens of battle fields and places waiting to be discovered
- Markus Heitz is involved in the project as a consultant and may contribute by writing a quest or two
- We’ll be presenting the game at the Gamescom. After that there will be a Kickstarter campaign. Our experience with the campaigns for Battle Worlds: Kronos and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 was really positive, so we’re looking forward to make supporters play an early and important role in the development

(I'll still continue my devlog here but with a focused on the stuff I contribute which is mostly tech-related)

Any of you guys happened to read the book? I'm not sure if it was a bestseller in other countries but it's been a rather huge hit in germany. It's interesting (and a first for us) to base a project on an external IP.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:56:06 AM by lithander » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »

Despite the leak we're still working on the international (e.g. english) announcement trailer. In the last days a bunch of beautiful screenshots and short ingame clips have been gathered. It really starts to look like a proper game. Smiley

This looks like it's coming along nicely

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 01:32:09 AM »

This is coming along so well! Looks really really beautiful and all of your in depth algorithm posts are wonderful!

This looks like it's coming along nicely

Thanks guys! All feedback is welcome - espeically the positive. Smiley

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2015, 02:18:28 AM »

The announcement trailer is done and uploaded!

Watch the announcement trailer on

!

Here are some beauty-shots taken from the trailer based on captures right out of the current prototype. So 100% in-engine and realtime material.

Edit: I updated the first post, too. The project is now officially called Dwarves and not HORDE (my physics-based combat engine thingy is still called HORDE though^^)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:39:35 AM by lithander » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2015, 03:20:48 AM »

Which best-selling novel are you referring to? Because "The Dwarves" sounds a bit too general for that Tongue
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:04 AM »

Which best-selling novel are you referring to? Because "The Dwarves" sounds a bit too general for that Tongue

I wanted to find some credible info regarding the novel and turned to wikipedia and someone allready edited it regarding the fact that we're making a game about it.  Who, Me?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dwarves_(novel)

As far as I know Stan Nicholls wrote a successful book series called "The Orcs" in 1999-2002 and the german book-publisher Heyne made a fortune on it in germany. So they decided to commission authors to write spinoffs about other high-fantasy races. This is how "The Dwarves" came into being and it was a huge success, too. Even bigger maybe. Yeah, if you want to call it a bit generic I'm with you but... well most videogame stories are far worse than the story of the books. It's quite charming and fits the flow of a game very well. And there seem to be many readers eager to experience the story interactively, apperently. So, why not?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:48:27 PM by lithander » Logged

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 05:50:53 AM »

I'm a huge fan of the books, and the first one is still my favourite in the whole series, so I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this. Smiley
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:52 AM »

@That trailer

Holy cow. Some one has been playing their cards awfully close to their chest. How many people are working on this game? I thought it was still in it's infancy with a barely started combat engine.

Is that big map thing in the trailer the real game world map?

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »

Holy cow. Some one has been playing their cards awfully close to their chest. How many people are working on this game? I thought it was still in it's infancy with a barely started combat engine.

Wow, seriously. I had thought this was a passionate project in making crazy AI haha. Next day, there's a whole trailer for a really polished looking game. It looks amazing!
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2015, 07:32:44 AM »

All projects start small. Wink But after the cooperation with Markus Heitz (the noval author) became a thing we decided to focus all our resources on it. Now it's going to be the next big KingArt game. This of course affects the team size. It's still only 2 coders but many more are involved with the assets, now. Including external freelancers.

I'm sorry, but I felt like I couldn't write about these changes before the project was properly announced. I'm walking a thin line with my devlog here. Especially after the "leak" I rather wanted to play it safe. Wink

Is that big map thing in the trailer the real game world map?

It's going to be! Smiley Right now we had to overclock our best computer to 4,8Ghz to capture the fly-by without stutter, though. Wink

Wow, seriously. I had thought this was a passionate project in making crazy AI haha.

Oh it is! Smiley

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

Wow, the trailer and the gamer look really really polished.
Awesome Smiley

I never heard about those books before today.
I wish you good luck for your game and your Kickstarter campaign Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »

I wanted to find some credible info regarding the novel and turned to wikipedia and someone allready edited it regarding the fact that we're making a game about it.  Who, Me?
Ha, cool. Thanks for the link!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »

Trailer made the thread go from interesting to exciting. Following.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:35 PM »

Waking up to 40k views on the international version of the trailer. (Opposed to 8k on the german language version) Considering that Heitz fans mostly reside in german speaking countries... wtf happened?

Turns out IGN picked up on the announcement.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/23/the-dwarves-announced-for-xbox-one-ps4-pc

O_o 230 comments! O_o

Eniimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2015, 12:09:32 AM »

Waking up to 40k views on the international version of the trailer. (Opposed to 8k on the german language version) Considering that Heitz fans mostly reside in german speaking countries... wtf happened?

Turns out IGN picked up on the announcement.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/23/the-dwarves-announced-for-xbox-one-ps4-pc

O_o 230 comments! O_o

Congratulation that's awesome !  Gentleman

piotrj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »

Looks really cool! The trailer? Not so much, perhaps ration of text to game was too high.
Gamedragon
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »

I love the books and this looks like it's going to do them justice! How closely is it going to follow the plot of the books though? Am I going to be able to change anything important. Mainly Boendal because I liked him.
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 12:46:08 AM »

I love the books and this looks like it's going to do them justice! How closely is it going to follow the plot of the books though? Am I going to be able to change anything important. Mainly Boendal because I liked him.

Afaik we'll be going to stick pretty faithfully to the story of the first part. So I guess that means you can't change fate! Wink

stupidrat
Level 0

I love Game Development

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »

The game is looking beautiful.

Mr. Levich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »

Holy hell, that looks AWESOME! Now I can't wait to play it! Grin

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9