Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:56:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThanks Tanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thanks Tanks!  (Read 2347 times)
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »

Hey TIGers... I haven't been around these woods for a while! Sorry about that! Anyway, I just launched a flash strategy game I've been working on for a while. It's called Thanks Tanks!, and I'm pretty happy with it. You should: go play it! Let me know whatcha think?

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

Some of the weapons like the plasma thrower are notoriously inaccurate. The shots always fly over the enemies. Also, its annoying to see your tank dying, it being too slow to get away in enough time, but not being able to order it to go back before its too late. Other than that, the game is pretty good. Haven't beat the last level yet though, I keep getting crushed.
DWWilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

Hey TIGers... I haven't been around these woods for a while! Sorry about that! Anyway, I just launched a flash strategy game I've been working on for a while. It's called Thanks Tanks!, and I'm pretty happy with it. You should: go play it! Let me know whatcha think?

Not bad, the guns remind me of my game.

I had fps issues, but most flash games are like that.

The flame-thrower seemed a little overpowered.

Having my tanks get flipped over because the tires are too good for the size of the base, or just having them flip over going up hills is really annoying. It would be nice if tanks couldn't be capsized.

There's a bug where if the largest size of tank gets hit directly from above by the turrets attached to the buildings, it gets thrown around the place violently. This is very annoying as on several levels I'd end up with 2-4 fully upgraded tanks lying face down on the side of the screen unable to move or fire.

Overall, A pretty good game though.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »

Hey, only got time for a few rushed comments, but here you go:
(I've only got up to level 3 so far)

- The style is great!
- Music is very atmospheric and pleasing
- buying parts and building tanks is always good, and the interface on the factories is tight
- The tank AI modes are a nice mechanic. Sometimes I felt like I needed a "retreat" mode, but 4 would probably be too much for the interface.
- the window seems a bit small
- the push-scroll can be quite annoying, because I found it impossible to avoid trigging the scroll whilst operating the factory interface (for example), which led to a lot of uncontrolled unintentional swinging back and forth across the map.
- minor request: could the points total screen after "Victory!" either advance faster or be set up so if you click whilst it's counting up points it immediately jumps to the final totals.

A bug(?): The second time I played it, most of the time I clicked on the game (e.g. tank AI mode) took me to another webpage, e.g. http://trackaweek.tumblr.com/ or Fast Games (?)

increpare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »

No quick way to surrender?

The grouping mechanism is more involved than I had anticipated - I generally quite like the game.
played it a little more, liked it a little more
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:17:50 PM by increpare » Logged
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »

maaaaan.  Kiss I LOVE LOVE LOVE the style going on here. The graphics, the audio. It's great!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

i've played about 4 matches and still haven't beat the first level. I skipped the tutorial (i avoid tutorials at all costs), now i'm going back. Must be missing something... minutes later... Played the tutorial, and I didn't learn anything new. Why can't i seem to upgrade my tanks?

So off the bat, i'd say the learning curve/mechanics aren't too intuitive/obvious like i'd hope for.

@increpare there's an "x" in the bottom left of the screen where you can quit.

EDIT: ok, now i've got it. The upgrade system confused me when i didn't have any options to choose from (nothing bought with battle points). Was this inspired by Swords and Soldiers? Very fun. One little thing, i'd like a hover state on the tank buttons (the three AI options), even if the cursor just changed that'd be fine.

EDIT2: for some of the longer/larger battles i was getting quite a bit of slow-down as well. i'd say sub 15fps range.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:26:57 PM by aeiowu » Logged

increpare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

@increpare there's an "x" in the bottom left of the screen where you can quit.
Oh.  Hah - I had assumed that was a mute button  
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 05:33:03 AM »

I've just been playing it a bit lot more Smiley

The tank "capsizing" thing is pretty annoying when it's a really valuable tank, although it's cool that they still attack and work like turrets. How about some system for them righting themselves, like maybe if there's no enemies attacking they slowly turn over.

I hope I get to build some multi-turreted monster tanks, if not yet then one day Wink

Edit: Finished!  Hand Thumbs Up Right The levels are very cool, some nice different things going on! I got a bit of a better look at the backgrounds and stuff too - love the piles of skulls and frozen explosions. The bigger more stable chassis makes it a bit more understandable about the little tanks getting knocked over. I did also get the problem with big tanks exploding into the air when capturing factories.

Also, I had a scary moment before the last level when, afer randomly clicking to try and skip the score screen, the "own" text disappeared from items in the buy screen, replaced by the numbers. I checked ingame and the build options were all still there and working, and also the yellow/grey colours on the buy menu items were still correct.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:50:59 AM by Ed » Logged

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I hope I get to build some multi-turreted monster tanks, if not yet then one day Wink

Yeh, I wanted to add that, but couldn't figure out how to do it in an intuitive way.. I'm thinking of perhaps doing a multiplayer version, will def. have building monster tanks in that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic