Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 04:32:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The grumpy old programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 295
Print
Author Topic: The grumpy old programmer room  (Read 739892 times)
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2040 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:35 AM »

When I use Vector as a straight Array replacement it's OK.

When I try to do something like the tempting BitmapData.getVector(), it totally breaks, as if they didn't really test those functions or something.

st33d
« Reply #2041 on: April 21, 2011, 01:18:30 PM »

There's an existing bug in Flash 10.0 with unshift and probably shift and also splice as well.

Just get them to update you say.

Trouble is, they might be using Firefox, several versions of which won't update the Flash player unless you root around in some obscure folders and start deleting old versions. Which is a hell of a thing to explain to a bunch of kids that just want to play your game.

To make matters worse, I'm getting bug reports about Vector with the new Flash player. I'm beginning to go right off AS3. FlashDevelop may be great but Adobe are just hiring jackass after jackass and you can see the rot spreading through their framework. It's awful and horrifying.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »

where would you go from as3? unity? java?

Nix
« Reply #2043 on: April 21, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »

Do Unity and C# or something. I guess you could do Unity and Javascript too, since as3 is so similar. Just don't intentionally learn Java for game development. It's a great language and I like it for a lot of things, but it's truly awful for game development.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 21, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »

Dear Visual Studio 2010, I am aware that Microsoft has changed you from being the best piece of software that Microsoft made into a piece a shit with the newest version. You do not need to prove this to me by silently crashing and vanishing every time I try to do something like compile a file or even just do a damn clean. I'm quite aware already. Thanks.
Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 21, 2011, 03:51:56 PM »

Alright, after losing my entire afternoon trolling through google results I found the fix. It seems that installing IE9 was what broke Visual Studio. If anyone else has the same problem (can't build anything in C++ without IDE crashing, C# works) it can be fixed with the following incantation.

regsvr32 "c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

The above is for 64-bit windows vista/7. For 32-bit remove the (x86) after 'Program Files'.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »

Knowing st33d he's already written his own vector class, and found it performs faster than adobe's in every possible test.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2047 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »

Knowing st33d he's already written his own vector class, and found it performs faster than adobe's in every possible test.

From HaXe you can directly access the "Memory" API which uses the buffer allocated for the Alchemy C->SWF compiler's opcodes. It's just a huge, low level bytearray, which means you are in the land of writing your own memory allocation, with all of the upsides and downsides - unfortunately Flash isn't stable enough that I can claim that it's "harder to crash" than a C program, but I'm pretty sure it just throws an exception if you run over the memory boundaries.

In any case, the performance characteristics of Memory have changed between versions of Flash Player(I think it's sometimes faster than Vector, sometimes slower), it's a pain to drop into working code, and I have the suspicion that it'll just break someday. So I haven't used it recently...

As far as alternatives...JS might be better someday. It isn't right now though. It needs more and better low-level APIs to become stable/fast/useful in gaming. But it is moving fast; check again in 6 months. Java appears to be hanging in limbo right now - it works, obviously, but I don't know if it has a good future. Unity announced a Unity->Flash pipeline...

...so if it goes on the web in the future, you will probably compile it to Flash to get that big install base. Shrug

I do have a sneaking suspicion that Google will manage to make Native Client work, and that would shake up everything.

http://code.google.com/games/technology-nacl.html
Quote from: Google's PR
NaCl Features:
Native code compilers from many langagues including C, C++, and C#
Integration with Chrome’s Javascript engine
Secure application sandbox
POSIX-style Operating System
OpenGL ES 2.0 with extensions
CD quality stereo audio
Keyboard and mouse input

Benefits of using NaCl:
Reuse existing C, C++, C#, or other libraries on the web
Often get better performance than raw Javascript code
Access special instruction sets such as SSE and NEON

When NOT to use NaCl:
Applications that do heavy DOM manipulation
Applications that need direct access to the OS, hardware, or device drivers

st33d
« Reply #2048 on: April 22, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »

A lot of the Flash Player methods run faster than AS3 algorithms. I pipe a lot of processing through BitmapDatas and Array sorts because of this.

Flixel has an array wrapper, so I assume it's a linked list implementation. Apparently those are faster in AS3.

Vector has some dodgy performance regarding speed, being faster in some cases and slower in others. I simply used it because it made tracking what I intended to do with a list easier. I didn't use it for performance at all.

But if it boils down to having it simply run at all, I'm gonna have to drop that shit.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2049 on: April 22, 2011, 05:32:18 AM »

NaCL looks awesome but like too many google technologies, it just doesn't seem to be getting any support. Last I heard it's not even supported in ChromeOS Sad

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: April 22, 2011, 06:36:23 AM »

Why do I always break compilers/interpreters?

After 3 full days battling a bug, I walk away without victory. I found the bug, I located what corner of the code it was lurking in, but I couldn't squash it. Instead I built a cage around the bug so that no one can get near it and it can't get out. Along the way I learnt a lot about the Lua interpreter and cooperative multithreading. I should have written a tetris clone.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:58 AM »

Along the way I learnt a lot about the Lua interpreter and cooperative multithreading.

The single most important thing any programmer needs to know about multithreaded apps is: Don't. Wizard

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: April 22, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »

Along the way I learnt a lot about the Lua interpreter and cooperative multithreading.

The single most important thing any programmer needs to know about multithreaded apps is: Don't. Wizard

Amen.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
st33d
« Reply #2053 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:14 AM »

I found the bug, I located what corner of the code it was lurking in, but I couldn't squash it. Instead I built a cage around the bug so that no one can get near it and it can't get out.

I wish you worked for Adobe
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2054 on: April 24, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »

Grumpy today. Bogged down in tools work for an ongoing-but-lacking-in-direction platformer project. Non-tile-based 2D seemed like a great idea, but I somewhat underestimated the amount of tools work involved before I'd see any gameplay...  Should have just stuck to tilemaps...  but I wanted more curves...

And every day I see another Minecraft-inspired game/clone rise to fame... yep, it's tilemaps, in 3D...

My work-in-progress editor may be semi-impressive to see in action:
http://www.bluescrn.net/projects/twodee10.png (Editor - C# with Windows Forms and SlimDX)

But the game isn't...
http://www.bluescrn.net/projects/furballs.png  (running on iPhone 4 via Airplay SDK)

Well, the physics works (using Chipmunk), but there's no real gameplay yet...

On the plus side, I'm liking Blender 2.5. Well, everything except for dealing with UVs...

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2055 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:17 PM »

Grumpy today. Bogged down in tools work for an ongoing-but-lacking-in-direction platformer project. Non-tile-based 2D seemed like a great idea, but I somewhat underestimated the amount of tools work involved before I'd see any gameplay...  Should have just stuck to tilemaps...  but I wanted more curves...
Did you see the thread awhile back about using Inkscape as a level editor?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »

afaik lua multithreading isn't actually /multithreaded/, it's more that you can have functions suspend and resume arbitrarily. Lua coroutines are apparently sort of more like continuations than traditional multithreading afaik.

Ludophonic
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 27, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »

The Visual Studio 2010 documentation on 'Build Customizations' is pretty lacking. In that it completely lacks any. Going from what I've been able to find on blogs the way to use it seems to be to make a Custom Build Rule in VS2008 and then upgrade the project. I don't think I want to install VS2008 just for that.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2058 on: April 30, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

Sometimes I think I should use a graphics library where it does not take a substantial amount of time to write the code to draw a gray rectangle.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2059 on: May 01, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »

Sometimes I think I should use a graphics library where it does not take a substantial amount of time to write the code to draw a gray rectangle.
Heresy! (What do you use now, and which language?)

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 295
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic