Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:37:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMy Pink Gun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Pink Gun  (Read 799 times)
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »

I've been making games on and off for about a year now, the vast majority of my projects have been failed ones. I worked on this game for about two weeks and released it a few months ago, and it's still in need of some updates (especially the Windows version), but you can give it a play now! I also have a blog on the page that shows regular updates with what I'm working on at the moment.

http://meek.sixbit.org

The game is fairly difficult, but straightforward traditional platformer gameplay.

Now some screenshots to make this more appealing!

My Pink Gun

I make most of my games in Game Maker,  as I'm a pretty poor programmer. Though I'm learning all the time, especially with each new game I design and finish.

Thanks for looking!

Family is all that matters now.
Sheltered Devlog
JDM
Level 0

Quattro Bajeena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:55 AM »

Its mechanics are a little quirky, but that's okay!  I don't want all platformers to play the same, and while it took me a bit to get a handle on it, its quirks were enjoyable (also, the WASD/SPACE combination is a bit odd to me and I wouldn't mind an alternate shoot button). 

I didn't beat this.  I don't know what's past that first boss, but it takes me down far too fast after spending so much time getting back to its room (I was pretty bummed to see that you could continue from the room before it, but not at that room). 

I love how overall slick it looks.  Great presentation. 

While I was on your website, I checked out A Star Is Born, and it's PRETTY GREAT.  I really, really like it.  Neat idea, and it feels great and looks stylish as hell (the only thing I though it might have lacked was a visual indication of what my HP was, but it was still great without it).  Excellent work.

Keep these coming.  Looking forward to seeing what else you do.

Porpentine
Level 0

gurgle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »

Looks good, but needs better checkpoints and better (read: more standard) control scheme. Awkward finger position that gets me killed + bad checkpoints isn't a good combination.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:06:22 AM »

Just played through this. I like the presentation a lot, both the art and music were definitely very enjoyable. I think an alternate control scheme would probably benefit the game a lot though, as jumping with W was pretty awkward.

Some other nitpicks:
The jump sound plays whenever you press W, even if you're in midair, which lets you create a cacophony of jump sounds pretty easily. Kinda funny, but you might wanna fix that.
Jump detection felt a bit finicky overall, especially when jumping near edges.
The bosses were pretty fun, but it felt like they had too much health, probably because you got no real feedback as to your progress until you kill them. Maybe add some visual cues on them once you get past 50% health or something, or have them speed up their bullet patterns a little as you hurt them, so you know that you're doing something.
Also, I have to agree that the checkpoints didn't make a lot of sense, and neither did going back to the title screen every time you die.

Also, on the last two levels the game's music cut out entirely, except when the window wasn't in focus, and the framerate slowed to a crawl. Not entirely sure why, since it didn't look like anything particularly intensive was happening.

Besides that though, it was quite an enjoyable game. Keep up the good work!  Gentleman
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic