Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:41:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449497 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: August 07, 2015, 07:05:33 AM »

For all you  Wizard out there, just in case anyone knows - I'm hunting an infinite loop somewhere in my code (or at least something that behaves as an infinite loop, whatever it is) and it should be really simple to find with visual studio because I should be able to just hit pause and see the current call stack. Instead I get this:

http://imgwiz.com/images/2015/08/07/RSE74.png

Huh? Huh? Huh?

Anyone has any idea what that might be? Or alternately if there is some other clever way to force the application to display its current call stack?

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4421 on: August 07, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »

I guess you know what code you have been changing? maybe you can set a break-point and find the issue like that. sometimes this is the only solution for me, but I am no  Wizard

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4422 on: August 07, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »

I don't have any experience with Unity in VS, but usually when this happens with C++ it relates to having no debug symbols for the code running on the 'current' thread. Possibly something to do with the managed/unmanaged code mix in Unity?

Try opening up the 'Threads' window while paused and see if there's any other threads running that you can peek into, they might help you track down your issue.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: August 07, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »

I guess you know what code you have been changing? maybe you can set a break-point and find the issue like that. sometimes this is the only solution for me, but I am no  Wizard

Yeah, at the end of the day I managed to solve it by placing console logs before and after where I believed the freeze to be, and then moving those closer to slowly pin down the problem. But, it should be a 30 second problem rather than a 3 hour one, haha T__T

I don't have any experience with Unity in VS, but usually when this happens with C++ it relates to having no debug symbols for the code running on the 'current' thread. Possibly something to do with the managed/unmanaged code mix in Unity?

Try opening up the 'Threads' window while paused and see if there's any other threads running that you can peek into, they might help you track down your issue.

Yeah, this is the idea I've gotten after some research too - and last time I had similar problems it also showed to be about this. Problem is that I basically don't know what "symbols" are, this is where some kind of education could have come in handy I guess haha :S Is there some simple explanation? What I understood last time was that it was some kind of registry keeping track of where each point in the compiled code was coming from in the uncompiled code, so that if something went wrong it could show where and why and launch the debugger ... is that about right?

When the symbols are missing for a piece of code, how can you like, tell it to add that code in then? Or why doesn't it do that automatically?

For your more practical idea - in VS all the windows are empty, I only get that message and that's it. In mono develop I can pause and it shows a call stack and a thread, named something that makes me think it has to do with waiting (as in some kind of framerate cap) but no code, and there's nothing I can recognize as written by me.  Huh?

Well, at least I solved the problem by now, good old manual way ~  Hand Thumbs Up Right
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4424 on: August 07, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »

As someone who is also lacking a computer science education your description of symbols seems right, even if just for basic debugging purposes.

Often there are ways to load external symbols if you're using a compiled library, but again I haven't touched C# since XNA was in fashion so I don't have much knowledge.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4425 on: August 11, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »

hey peeps! pardon the quiet, we've been putting polish on the Linear Farms region and discussing plans for THE FINAL THREE REGIONS. That and preparing for PAX Prime, where (as usual) Rain World will be showing the newest build at the adult swim games booth. None of which is terribly exciting to post to the devlog about. But we'll return to the regularly scheduled program shortly!  Gentleman

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4426 on: August 11, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »

hey peeps! pardon the quiet, we've been putting polish on the Linear Farms region and discussing plans for THE FINAL THREE REGIONS. That and preparing for PAX Prime, where (as usual) Rain World will be showing the newest build at the adult swim games booth. None of which is terribly exciting to post to the devlog about. But we'll return to the regularly scheduled program shortly!  Gentleman
Good timing. I was starting to feel the effects of Rain World information withdrawal  Epileptic

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: August 12, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »

So sorry about the silence! Lot's of tying up loose ends for this latest region, but it feels like we are more or less there now. Because you waited so long, here's a little taste of what the region will have to offer:

Back to regular update frequency very soon!
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »

<Insert Calm Before Feedback Storm>

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: August 12, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »

What are all those white pixels? GIF artifact?

How much in this picture is debug mode stuff? I'm taking it the blue things at the tips of the tentacles are?

Because I'm getting this spontaneous feeling of this looking unusual in contrast to what I've seen of the rest of the game, to be honest? I think it's because it's so bright and colourful?

Also I personally think it would add so much stylistically to the creepy setting if that creature did not have an eye.

Anyway, awesome work as usual, what with the new AI stuff, new creatures and so on. I know I've been silent but I have been reading the thread!

BTW is the game playable without killing anything (including eating bats)? Please consider if not!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4430 on: August 12, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »

Or at least a smaller eye, maybe more unexpectedly situated on its head?. Maybe even more than one eye on each side, to go with the spidery legs?! Looks too cute and bunny-like right now imo.
Still amazing though

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
pnch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4431 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »

+1 to no eye / dot eye similar to slugcat´s, would go for a bit higher eye position, and less head bobbing.
Amazing progress, keep it up!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4432 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »

What are all those white pixels? GIF artifact?

How much in this picture is debug mode stuff? I'm taking it the blue things at the tips of the tentacles are?

Because I'm getting this spontaneous feeling of this looking unusual in contrast to what I've seen of the rest of the game, to be honest? I think it's because it's so bright and colourful?

Also I personally think it would add so much stylistically to the creepy setting if that creature did not have an eye.

Anyway, awesome work as usual, what with the new AI stuff, new creatures and so on. I know I've been silent but I have been reading the thread!

BTW is the game playable without killing anything (including eating bats)? Please consider if not!
The blue tentactle tips are cool. They seem to go active when prey is nearby. If it is a debug feature, I hope it stays. It's cool to see the grass "wake up"

The deer eye does seem kind of weird, maybe because everything else has very muted eyes while this one is big, with a pupil and everything

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: August 12, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »

I, for one, like the big eyes with a pupil. It looks familiar, which it should because it's not hostile to the player.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4434 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

Actually, you know what, I like the eyes. It's the biggest land creature so far, logically it would probably have big eyes to see farther.

Is the black hide still WIP?

Caspar2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »

So sorry about the silence! Lot's of tying up loose ends for this latest region, but it feels like we are more or less there now. Because you waited so long, here's a little taste of what the region will have to offer:

Back to regular update frequency very soon!

I think it would look much better if it would not leave the leg on the ground so long. It's legs are streched backwards way too far. Giraffes have similar legs and they look super majestic because they alway have two legs in motion, while moving very slow. Maybe it would work for the deer as well?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4436 on: August 12, 2015, 01:52:26 PM »

Actually, you know what, I like the eyes. It's the biggest land creature so far, logically it would probably have big eyes to see farther.
No this is actually not how things work!

Anyway my biggest problem is the shape, really. It's like your giant a cute rabbit pokemon friend there to help his little buddy, rather than a big creepy lumbering uncaring herbivore beast, which is what I'd like to see it as

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: August 12, 2015, 03:00:21 PM »

I don't like that eye, but I don't know what else you could put there.
I know... I'm super helpful.

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: August 12, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »

I don't like the eye either.  Makes it look like a cute bunny. Maybe you could make the eye smaller or more insect-like (or remove it completely) so it looks more alien.

Otherwise the new creature is fantastic.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4439 on: August 12, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

Here's a mock-up from the NeoGAF thread:

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic