Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:02:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFuturistic non-realistic audio!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Futuristic non-realistic audio!  (Read 1238 times)
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »

Hello!

I am making a futuristic neon vectrex-like shiny glowy game (see my avatar to understand).

I am wondering what sound to make, to signal explosions... It have to be clear that is a explosion, yet it is NOT supposed to sound like a real-world explosion, because the explosion in the game is just some particles flying around (purple stuff on my avatar), they are not gunpowder burning very fast and causing expanding sound waves...

So, how I make a non-real explosion that is still a explosion?

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »

edit a real explosion sample with a flanger or phaser? use a noise gate destructively? play a synth chord or note, then automate a booster to crescendo into the sound, and compress it last?

just throwing ideas out there.

anosou
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »

The best bet is using FM synthesis and automating the amount of FM (frequency modulation) to shape it into an explosion-type sound. This works REALLY well if you use simple analog waveforms and use FM with some white noise or similar. Add some reverb/delay and serve!

A modular or semi-modular synth plug-in would help with this.. I mainly use Reason so I wouldn't know a good free one.. Crystal perhaps?
boomlinde
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

Yes, personally I think FM synthesis is the way to go for these kinds of effects. I made a pack of FM sound effects not long ago for a competition here: http://mixtape.be/stuff/fmsfx-boomlinde.rar
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »

Now I wonder, automate to where? O.o

I have no idea of what is supposed to sound like a explosion (except it go boom).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic