Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 01:56:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNo Time To Explain
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: No Time To Explain  (Read 10288 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »

I was about to put this game up fr bid, by y'know what I might aswell just test it here first.

It's a really short platformer, kind of a joke, and the only path that works right now is the main one, so don't go nuts exploring anythin too much.
Also it doesn't mute. You'll see why.
LINK

Really quick game, only took me a week or two.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »

That was probably one of the most wonderful experiences i have had with flash in a while.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »

I can't get over the first green hill thing after the house : (

edit: okay I did, but I still don't have a feel for how the propulsion works, and I got stuck again shortly after Sad
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:55:03 PM »

I liked the parts where I went too fast and revealed the crab arm to be nothing more than a floating crab arm.

But then it wasn't.

The last boss was just frustrating.

But I liked it.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »

The sounds, the setup, it's all great.

The propulsion on the laser gun is really confusing, sometimes it seems to work really well, other time it fires and you don't jump as high as you'd like. I beat the game and didn't really have the hang of it.

It took me a while to beat the final boss. I initially thought I needed to kill the crab with the laser directly (I THOUGHT I saw the underside get singed up when it wasn't before), then I thought I needed to trick the UFO into shooting it. Once I damaged the UFO, though, then it became clear and I finished the game quickly.

The sound effects are absolutely top-notch, as is the effect of chasing the crab the whole way. I'd have loved more setpiece areas like buildings to scale or windows to smash and such over the generic hills and ledges. That could be a way to fluff the game up and only improve it.

Clicking outside the window is a problem. Making a bigger play area without changing the size of the graphics could help (big black boxes above and below, possible with subtitles or a HUD to fill them up?).

At the end, I expected to see a replay of my initial actions. I kinda think it'd be funnier if the game remembered your first minute of key presses and repeated it exactly during the closing cinematic, so you truly got the sense you were stuck in a loop.
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Fun game, but the controls are sometimes unresponsive. (using chrome)
The propulsion was also really confusing at first, but then I got the hang of it. I gave up on the spike tunnel where you have to thrust yourself completely vertically. The combination of unresponsive controls, and bad collision detection on the spikes was very frustrating. The sound and story are really good though. I suggest adding a bit more scenery, and tweaking the physics a bit.

Nice game!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:41:28 PM by davioware » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »

I found the dinosaur teleport. Cheesy

Renton
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »

That was amazing. Have to agree with others about the controls, though.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »

Nice dialogue. The game was pretty hard.
HDSanctum
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »

Really fun, clean experience.

The blaster should fully recharge when you die, it's annoying to have to wait. It might make things clearer if there was something to indicate charge level (or at least to indicate it's not at maximum if you want to keep the minimalist hud).

I definitely expect to see speed run videos on youtube when this is released Wink
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

DINOSAUR TELEPORT!

At the final boss, I was getting major control-lag.  Seemed like mouse and button signals piled up when held, and sometimes I'd be running to one side and unable to control my character for several seconds.  Moving in short bursts or waiting around fixes the problem, but it's no fun.

So, if you're using signal queues for input, maybe change to something more instantaneous, or exhaust the queue?  Really don't have any idea what's doing it though, natrually.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:09:16 PM »

Lol I agree with the protagonist, I should have seen that coming.
 Big Laff

Also: Dinosaur teleport was/is awesome.

hi
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:15:54 PM »

a bit too difficult, i couldn't complete it. i kept clicking outside of the window, which doesn't fire the gun. i didnt really like the physics of the propulsion. spewer, on the other hand, was much better and fluid to control.

not a bad game just couldnt get past the controls
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 02:59:48 PM »

My games keep having this problem with people (but not me) where the controls queue up.
I don't know how to fix it, the game just checks every frame if buttons are bein pressed.

Anyway the dinosaur teleport isn't finished yet. Right now I'm drawing over the boss fight to make it all dinosaurs, adding in random tropical plants, and hopefully (I can't find a good clip) have Doc Brown pop up in the bottom left and say NO MARTY!! YOU'LL DISRUPT THE TIME-SPACE CONTINUUM!! as you do it.
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »

Anyway the dinosaur teleport isn't finished yet. Right now I'm drawing over the boss fight to make it all dinosaurs, adding in random tropical plants, and hopefully (I can't find a good clip) have Doc Brown pop up in the bottom left and say NO MARTY!! YOU'LL DISRUPT THE TIME-SPACE CONTINUUM!! as you do it.

This will be nice and mad, and I'll be glad to replay your game once you will have update this feature. But first of all, as the others said, it will be great to find a solution about control, because it was almost a nightmare in some situation (especially to get the "DinoTP")
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »

I would class the controls in this game as unfair - the camera movement makes the positioning of the mouse cursor give your character unpredictable directional momentum. It isn't that the controls are unresponsive - it's that the direction of the character relative to the mouse cursor is not predictable due to the camera. Make the character stay in the centre of the screen and it will probably work OK.

In addition (even if you fix the camera), the momentum given to the character in the air stays with the character well beyond any input you've given, so you can be travelling left in the air, press and hold right to land on a platform, let go of right when you land, and then shoot off the platform due to remaining momentum from the jump. Again unfair. The momentum you get in the air should disappear if the character lands on a platform.

I note from the replay at the end that you seem to have tested / played the game using keyboard directional controls, not mouse directional controls - why can't I play it like that?

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »

You hardly slide around from momentum at all on the ground, so you must be talkin about something else.

The bit at the credits is just an AI playing, that's why it's really precise. It reads the ground infront of it n knows the exact angle to beam itself.

Dinosaur teleport is finished, I wanna do another weird obstacle course above the house at the start, but someone's broke my wacom and drawin stuff is really annoying right now.
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

You need a hud of some sort; some way for the player to know how much fuel they've got left in their gun. Aside from that, the dialogue is pretty charming.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »

Sometimes when I land I can't move unless I jump again. The controls are awkward but the fact that you don't have to replay anything you have already done when you die makes up for it. A fun short game Smiley

Ashkin
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 12:53:34 AM »

That... That was genius. Thank you, sir.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic