Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411532 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 11:44:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBanshee Engine : For all your ANSI needs!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Banshee Engine : For all your ANSI needs!  (Read 34728 times)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 05:59:30 AM »

@Ichigo Jam

That was indeed the problem, it works beautifully now. Thanks much and sorry for doubting you!  Tongue
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »

The three methods of saving:

Manual Save
The game can be saved at literally any time when the player pauses the game and chooses the Save option. Titan limits the player to saving within a certain directory, but the game can be saved to any file at all.

Quicksave
The game can be saved to a quicksave file at any time when the player presses F7 and loaded back immediately with F8.

Quitsave
The quitsave is the primary save method. Whenever the game is terminated except as it occurs as a result of a script or critical error, the game is saved to a quitsave file, and when the game is started back up it resumes from where it was left off.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »

Oh god when I entered the third page this scared the crap outta me:

If it changes, it's a creepy venom/pineapple hybrid.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »

I'd like to go over some the currently implemented features, mostly for the hell of it:

Any game object - maps, entities, sounds, and (soon) graphics schemes can be referenced by name or (the functional equivalent of a) pointer. This should make things maximally convenient when scripting, so that whichever option better fits the situation can be used.

Scripts have full access to keyboard input, and functions within an entity's script can be bound to specific keys with several options that are more difficult to keep track of otherwise. (todo: also have access to mouse position and input)

Automatic memory handling: the game is assigned a unique player entity and map data is automatically loaded into and dumped out of memory as necessary. Supposing some game required different behavior, though, it is entirely possible to cause the game to ignore that functionality and implement the memory handling in your scripts. (though admittedly a bit esoteric - it can be done, but the engine really is not designed for anything other than following a single player entity around)

Optional notification and requesting permission of the player whenever the game wants access to a file outside of the application's directory or subdirectories. (this is to help make sure the scripting capabilities aren't used maliciously. todo: regular file read/write access in addition to the more specialized functions already present)

Full drawing access to the screen space. (todo: read what's already there, too)

Gameplay can be recorded and saved as a specialized video file format that can later be exported as a GIF. Along the same lines, both screenshots and tileshots (screenshot but saves the actual contents of the screen instead of an image of the screen) can be taken. (todo: also save the bits drawn onto the screen by the scripts, which are stored on a separate layer)
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »

A nice little splash screen thing to show when the game starts.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »

dat jpeg
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 09:28:36 AM »

unfortunately I seem to find the horrid quality of it endearing
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »

I hate it.

And there's no pineapple.

Yeah.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »

The latter is kind of a deal breaker.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 05:19:46 AM »

dammit guys
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 05:43:54 AM »

Sorry to be blunt, but well, I prefer to be straight up instead of beating around the bush.

I can see where you come from by preferring it, but I'd prefer to see an ascii rendition of a scene or a logo. After all, it IS an ASCII engine.

But hey, your call. It doesn't change anything. As long as the engine does what it's supposed to do, I'm all for it.

Yeah.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »

QuaziGNRLnose
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »

that pineapple reminds me of bill o'reilly.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 06:49:11 AM »

oh yeah? well your nose reminds me of bill o'reilly.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »

what the workflow looks like:

Map definition (entity highlighted):

Entity's script:

In action:
TheBreadCat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »

I am really looking forward to doing some awesome stuff with that engine :D

Twitter: marcoaslak
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »

it's all about the little features:

Previously, file paths were always relative to the script or whatever file they were specified inside. Now, absolute paths (beginning with a drive name) are detected, and "root:" can be placed at the beginning of a path to specify that the given path should be in relation to the game data file directory. (I also intend to add some other prefixes like "drive:" for the current disk drive and "app:" for the application path.)

I am really looking forward to doing some awesome stuff with that engine :D

I am really impatient myself to get it out there and see what gets made Grin
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »

What is this exactly, a terminal or a roguelike library
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »

What is this exactly, a terminal or a roguelike library

Neither.

It's a rather fleshed-out game engine tailored to ANSI graphics. (The graphic limitations are a bit strict, to be honest, but it severely decreases artistic workload and encourages uniquely styled imagery. Also, the decrease in memory and system demands is phenomenal.) The functionality focuses on making it exceptionally convenient to develop adventure games and, save a few features I've yet to fully implement, JRPGs. Though certainly possible, I don't think it would be very practical at all to use the engine to make a rougelike.

Sometime later I may make a variation of the engine which doesn't involve the overhead that hinders its usefulness for types of games that don't follow the certain gameplay style.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »

How many pineapple pics you have, every time I check this thread a new avatar appears
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic