Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:21:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGyossait (Formerly Nameless Flash Project 1) COMPLETE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Gyossait (Formerly Nameless Flash Project 1) COMPLETE!  (Read 18732 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:59 AM »

just one more. this is the protagonist from all of our friends our dead. trying to make him sort of like a marionette.
Sir Knight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »

Pardon me, but I believe that

mmffmffggbf

is the appropriate reaction to

Also, your marionette-protagonist looks downright professional to me.  Twisted in such a delightfully disturbing way from the pixelated original.  Did you ever play The Suffering?  The design for the Slayer (by Stan Winston Studio, which is, I might say, "professional") came to my mind.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »

Finally made a teaser/trailer for this. Hope you like what you see/hear

LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »

Great stuff, Amon. I really enjoyed Au Sable/AOOFAD, and this looks like something I'll enjoy as well. I've been trying to add some "creepiness factor" into my own game ideas, but everything just comes out kind of hokey Tongue Nonetheless, your games are really inspiring to me!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »

You should use the marionettes for art in the games or sthg

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

I had to deconstruct the AOOFAD marionette unfortunatley. And I've been working so hard to get Gyossait done that I havent had a chance to sculpt for a bit.  But I like your idea Moi and I'll try it out Smiley
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »

Here's a timelapse video showing the creation of a new badguy.  I'm ab about the 80 percent mark as far as content goes. Then I'll go over it a few times with a fine-tooth comb.  Hopefully I can get a good publisher/sponsor for this.  First time I've ever done anything like that so I've got butterflies.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/582867

OHHHMAAN!  FINALLY DONE!  Here we go fellas, it's been picked up by NewGrounds.com and available to be played right-freakin-de-freakin now!  This was a blast to make, but remember 1. I'm not the slickest coder in the universe, and b. second verse same as the first.   All the same, I hope you have some fun with this.

Thanks to all of you who've been devoutley watching the progress of this game, you've been awesome

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

Ah wow, this is wonderful

terribly good job

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »

dude take pics of those clay characters and use them as sprites!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:19:44 PM by MattG » Logged
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »

Very nice gfx, a bit creepy (for me), and I found it hard to understand how to play.

Nice clay models, btw.

LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »

Loved the atmosphere with this one, much like I loved the others. I would love to know the story behind all of these games, but then I suppose if I knew the story, it'd lose some of the charm of getting the bits and pieces of it throughout the games.

Only technical trouble I had was that it seemed that the game got slower and slower the more I played. By the end, it became a bit difficult to control, because the game wouldn't respond to the keyboard until about a second after I pressed the key. Perhaps old assets not getting unloaded when no longer being used? Woah, in fact, all of the animated gif emoticons on this page are going super duper slowmo now. Anyway, I don't know anything about flash game development, but it seems like my browser is going super slow now that I've played the game.  Shrug

SUPER SPOILERY QUESTION:
Does the end boss have any connection to a character from one of your earlier games? I was just thinkin' with hair color and all...
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »

I played it through and thought it was really fantastic on its own. I'm not quite sure what to make of it in context with AOOFAD and Au Sable, though; I think AOOFAD did insane, unfathomable horror better with its cruder graphics and lack of plot, and Au Sable had a more compelling storyline and more passionate music.

But ignore that opinion, it's a great game that stands on its own merits. Great job again, Amon26. Smiley

Loved the atmosphere with this one, much like I loved the others. I would love to know the story behind all of these games, but then I suppose if I knew the story, it'd lose some of the charm of getting the bits and pieces of it throughout the games.

Hopeless pontification by a fan of the "trilogy": I think AOOFAD is about nothing. It's so close to a series of nightmares that attempting to derive a meaning out of it is impossible. I think Au Sable is about a family trying to find their daughter who has been lost in the woods, only to find that she has been Changed by some great evil force that lurks within, resulting in the deaths of her brother and mother. Her sister destroys the prodigal Harmonia, but depending on how you interpret the end credits, may or may not have fallen under the influence of the same evil force while doing so. The story behind all three games is they're cosmic religious abstract horror inspired by nightmares, and attempting to apply a proper plot to them is futile, even if it is fun to try!

Or you could try to stretch it and say that AOOFAD is a very abstract portrayal of the protagonist's journey in Au Sable - "and to think she was once a mother!"/the crucifying of the mother character, the increasing insanity's pace matching that of Au Sable's, pale redhead final boss/Harmonia. And the final level of Gyossait is just a reinterpretation of the cathedral-tower from the first game. Where does that put us?
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »

Hrmph. Maybe I need to play the other games again. You were mentioning a lot of stuff that I don't remember now  Concerned
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »

wow, ok. after a night of celebratory drinking and a morning of recovery im bak!  Glad to hear you guys really enjoyed this.  I knew by making it more content-rich it would detract a little from the batshit psycho horror that aoofad did so well, but I wanted to push myself graphically. 

And as for your questions about how or if the three games connect. I think i should let you decide for yourselves :} its better that way.
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

I just played this through. While the gameplay was little lacking, I think you nailed the sounds and athmosphere perfectly. Creepy as all hell, I like.

It's a bit confusing that you never mentioned controls anywhere, I found out Z resets the current stage by accident.

Man I would love to hear more about the story, it was confusing but interesting.
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

It's a bit confusing that you never mentioned controls anywhere

There are controls listed in the levels. The instructions are just kind of built into the architecture of the walls (the way Braid teaches controls comes to mind). I admit I didn't notice them the first time either. But yeah, like when you need to use the shield for the first time, if you look on the wall, there is a down arrow and a shield icon. Same at the beginning for moving left and right and jumping, etc.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:08:12 AM by LDuncan » Logged
AdventureIslands
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:37:22 AM »

It's a bit confusing that you never mentioned controls anywhere

There are controls listed in the levels. The instructions are just kind of built into the architecture of the walls (the way Braid teaches controls comes to mind). I admit I didn't notice them the first time either. But yeah, like when you need to use the shield for the first time, if you look on the wall, there is a down arrow and a shield icon. Same at the beginning for moving left and right and jumping, etc.

*facepalm* Now I see them too, can't believe I missed them. My game uses the exact same way to display controls in the intro stage.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 03:43:04 AM »

what would you think about me giving the tutorial sigils a slight flicker? nothing super intrusive but just enough for the audience to stop and look at them?
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 04:26:39 AM »

Another great game of yours. Really enjoyed what I played of it, but it crashed on me when I shot (and perhaps killed) one of those blowing plant things, on the part after you fall down a huge hidden hole and end up in a much redder area, just after those crawling bone things are introduced. It was one of the ones facing left in a brick tower type bit, just after some deadly moving spikes if I remember correctly. Up until that it was all dandy and the visuals, sound and atmosphere were spot on.

I didn't really have any issues with the controls myself, worked them out quite easily as it's just the arrows and Z to reset anyway. I would say that, particularly in my case where it crashed, it would be nice to be able to save and resume gameplay at set points. I know there are checkpoints but to be able to get part way and then continue later rather than play the whole game again would be really handy, as I honestly can't be bothered to play through it again, and I feel I had got quite far.

Also made in Stencyl eh? I tried working with that but it drove me nuts because half of it wouldn't work and I had bugs that randomly occurred and then fixed themselves with no input from me. I expect it is good for this kind of game though in it's current iterations, very focused on visuals and atmosphere rather than complicated gameplay.

PS I think it ran a bit slowly for me but my laptop is complete pants anyway.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic