Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 04:09:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 95162 times)
Rolly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2009, 11:41:15 AM »

Thanks for the new map. Unfortunately, I can't play it. When I press a key to move, jump, or kick, it sometimes doesn't register. i.e. if I hold the left arrow key down, it might take 3 seconds for Guy to start moving. Perhaps related: PTPGP2 pegs my CPU at 100% (60% user, 40% kernel). Your PTPGP1 map (and all the others I've played) don't have these problems. I'm using Windows XP SP2, Sempron 2600+ CPU.
PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »

Hmm... I noticed some lag one time when I loaded the game, but it was only that one time. I wonder if it has something to do with the # of objects, or animated tiles... A comparitive study will show...

PTPGP1  PTPGP2
Objects   4       14
A Tiles   6       14

I'll add some stats of the other maps also... try to figure out what the issue is here.
Once I get back from work, I'll replace the animated discs with the jewel thingys, see if that has any affect, I think I can cut down the objects a bit without affecting gameplay... but that will be more difficult.

PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »

More Comparitiveness

Warehouse Example    Fresh Test     Warehouse Example 2
Objects:          18              3                 22!(not including Guy)
A Tiles:          9              12                 12(not including objects)

So yeah... I dunno, I'll run it on some other comps or see if I can reproduce steadily enough to debug... maybe someone with more inside knowledge on the game can shed some light...
Rolly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »

regarding the PTPGP2 map:

• Display Mode 0, 2, 3, and 4 are problem-free.
  • Display Mode 1, 6, 7, 8, and 9 suffer from "keypress dropout". (I could not test mode 5 because it is unavailable on this computer.)
  • "Keypress dropout" is the only noticable problem. Sprite animations seem to be perfectly fluid and don't stutter.
  • I have played through all of the built-in maps as well as the majority of third-party maps available in this thread, using Display Mode 9, and have not experienced any "keypress dropout".

Thankfully Display Mode 3 is playable, so I managed to hop around your level and get all of the coins. Fun map! I look forward to more from you.

If you need me to do more testing, just holler.
PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2009, 02:27:35 PM »

Glad you found a workaround!... I'd still like to figure out what makes my map special (aside from being made by me of course Smiley )

Another thing I noticed while trying to figure out the problem, the disc animation has a blank frame at the beggining, I don't beleive that was intentional... I never noticed it before, but now its all I can see!
Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »

Hey the maps here are pretty awesome! Some of them take a little while to figure out. If your map is on this thread, know that I liked it very much! Grin Buzzkill and GhostStory are my favorites so far, but it doesn't mean that the others aren't following closely.

Some constructive criticism:

AMinorDetour: Really cool. But the beginning run gets in the way. Balding is a little slow so retrying this level is always a bit painful; for that reason I didn't explore it much past going straight for the finish line. Maybe the beginning run could be made shorter?

PTPGP1/2: I love the puzzles here! But the names are hard to remember and type in BQ. Maybe you could rename the series as something a bit shorter and more catchy? NoTwitch? PuzzleTime? Something like that Smiley
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »

Yay, there are new maps to play!  And new bugs to fix.  Smiley

The News:  Sorry, but I got the flu last Wednesday night.  And I have an impressively weak immune system, so this is the first time I've been able to sit up since then.  Oy.

Anyway, my fever finally broke, so I should be back in action tonight or tomorrow. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2009, 05:08:12 AM »

Ah, I was already wondering where you where!
Hope you get well soon!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Durr...? Hand Thumbs Up Right

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »

Really, really awesome. First appearance in the thread.

I was playing AMinorDetour... is it possible to get past that last part where the lava is flowing on both sides and a coin dangles above spikes?
SOLVED BELOW

Very minor thing in the editor: spawning an object in the editor -> typing registers as movement for a selected object with WASD keys.

More little things.
I pushed a block onto a platform in hoping that by ducking, the block would prevent the platform from crushing me against the ceiling.
I tried to cross gaps like this -| |- by holding right/up in combination, but up registers first so instead of crossing I end up repeatedly hugging the left part of the gap.

Some more notes.

How prominently are the borders going for feature in the game? I didn't even realize they existed because I like playing at 2x or 3x windowed - is it possible to have the border in at this size?

Hope this feedback is useful. Sorry if I sound like a nit picker  Grin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:14:52 PM by Boder » Logged
Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2009, 06:26:26 AM »

Just have a little faith, and drop into the unknown! Wizard
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »

I tried working on a blob enemy that hugs the ground (can go upside down, etc.)

The script started getting messy and didn't work really, so its just for ideas

http://boder.games.googlepages.com/blobo.zip
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »

Hey guys, I just made a new tileset. It's not 100% yet, so if you have any suggestions, now's the time. I've already noticed a few things that I'm going to change. Also, I made a simple map with it, so check it out!  Wink

The tileset is called Tiles_Forest here: http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/, and the level is called Camping, and can also be found there.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »

Decided to make a script browser instead of using a drop down menu. I think it'll work better. Was also able to add little images so you could see what they looked like ... although I have to figure out how big each sprite is though. I may need to peek into the script files for that.

I like turtles.
PhantomTollbooth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »

Sounds good Snakey, I (as well as many others I am sure) are anxiously awaiting the editor!!!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »

Hey guys, I just made a new tileset. It's not 100% yet, so if you have any suggestions, now's the time. I've already noticed a few things that I'm going to change. Also, I made a simple map with it, so check it out!  Wink

The tileset is called Tiles_Forest here: http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/, and the level is called Camping, and can also be found there.

That's a really nice tileset! Kiss
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »

Very minor thing in the editor: spawning an object in the editor -> typing registers as movement for a selected object with WASD keys.
Hrm, I thought I fixed this.  I'll make sure it's fixed for the next build.

I pushed a block onto a platform in hoping that by ducking, the block would prevent the platform from crushing me against the ceiling.
That's something that'll be fixed in the next build, too.  I need to ghost-check collisions for his auto-crouch, instead of setting his collision box so tall all the time.  (I did this to fix something else in the last build. Tongue)

I tried to cross gaps like this -| |- by holding right/up in combination, but up registers first so instead of crossing I end up repeatedly hugging the left part of the gap.
Keyboard stuff is hard to manage.  It's all about the order of the logic.  But the biggest problem is out of my control -- every keyboard handles chords differently, and most can't handle more than a few keys at once.

How prominently are the borders going for feature in the game? I didn't even realize they existed because I like playing at 2x or 3x windowed - is it possible to have the border in at this size?
Yes, definitely.  I'll add this in a future build. Wink

Hope this feedback is useful. Sorry if I sound like a nit picker  Grin
Yeah, it's definitely useful, thanks! Hand Thumbs Up Right

I tried working on a blob enemy that hugs the ground (can go upside down, etc.)

The script started getting messy and didn't work really, so its just for ideas
Hmm, yeah, I want to add a wall-hugger global object soon...  I'll do it if you don't wanna work on it anymore.  Gotta fill out the Scripting Guide, too, argh...

Decided to make a script browser instead of using a drop down menu. I think it'll work better. Was also able to add little images so you could see what they looked like ... although I have to figure out how big each sprite is though. I may need to peek into the script files for that.
Lookin' awesome, Snakey!  The sprite size is in the anim file, by the way.  99% of the time the script and animation file names are the same.  (But not for Global Objects, hrm...  I'll help you out with that soon.)

Yes, it totally is! Grin

Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »

Snakey: Good idea, menus are kinda "volatile" in that the smallest provocation makes them go away; most of the time I'm cool with that, but when navigating huge lists that can be really irritating! So a browser is good indeed. Smiley

Justice Jones: Love the tileset! There are some issues when Balding gets close to some tiles, some of them appear below him and others appear above (and the water too), but it's a minor nitpick and you're probably already on top of that. Can you make some tiles for the passable part of those trees? Some foliage and small branches would be nice too! Another suggestion, maybe a vine would be more appropriate to climb up than a chain? (That chain could be useful for other tilesets anyway.) But all in all, it is great! Thumbs up Hand Thumbs Up Left Well, hello there! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Hey this just occurred to me: an animation of fishies jumping out of the water (like in a half-circle trajectory) could be really nice. Anyway these are just random thoughts off the top of my head, don't take them as requests yeah? Wink
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2009, 10:05:22 PM »

Quote from: Derek Yu
Yes, it totally is! Grin
Love the tileset!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the enthusiasm! Well, hello there!

Jotaf: I think that the issue with Balding appearing in front of some tiles, and behind others is due to the map editor, and not the tileset. If you press pg up in the map ed. it will make a tile foreground. Also, If I can figure out how to make a jumping fish it is totally happening.

I'm working on an update seen here:

I'll post the tiles when I finish working out a few kinks - hopefully soon.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:08:24 PM by Justice Jones » Logged
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »

Yes, more stuff!

It can be found here:

http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/

as Tiles_City.bmp and RooftopRiot.bqMAP
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2009, 07:17:58 AM »

Jotaf: I think that the issue with Balding appearing in front of some tiles, and behind others is due to the map editor, and not the tileset. If you press pg up in the map ed. it will make a tile foreground. Also, If I can figure out how to make a jumping fish it is totally happening.

In tile graphics mode you can press 0 and 9 (I think) to toggle the display of background and foreground tiles.  This makes it extra easy to quickly set all the tiles to their proper layers.

Also, as a rule, obstructions should generally be foreground, so they cover the dust and explosion effects and such.

Also also:  I'm lovin' the new tilesets, hehe.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic