Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411571 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:15:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJudith [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Judith [Finished]  (Read 56206 times)
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »

ahhh i really liked this a lot! it was short and sweet and you really had me feared
that something bad was going to happen and then it turned out okay what a relief!
Thank you for making this!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »

Please add WASD and mouse look (horizontal only) as i describe in the main page entry's comment. It'll make the controls much more intuitive and simple, while right now i'm in constant struggle with them.
No WASD is shit and flawed. people should stop using that forever.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »

The game delivered. :) I liked what you did with Judith's dreams. A small complaint: I would have made the controls slower overall, as it feels like I'm speeding down the corridors rather than quietly exploring.

I experienced the same 'new game' bug as others have mentioned.

increpare
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

even in the newer version we reuploaded a couple of hours ago?
Derosian
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2009, 02:19:26 PM »

The graphics remind me a bit of Moraff's World or Moraff's Dungeons of the Unforgiven.   Smiley
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »

Care to elaborate?

~bs~
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »

well im not sure how its completely flawed, but in the context of this game i dont think it would work well.  This isnt a game about strafing around and ducking around corners and dodging bullets.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »

the graphics were cool and stylish but I found this to be utterly boring. for the first few moments of the game I thought some pixeled menace would sneak behind me and be all "arhhhw" or something, but after I realized there was no gameplay other than walking down the halls and making simple choices, I was let down.

the atmosphere is great, but it needs some actual game play if you ask me. or maybe this isn't my kind of thing. Undecided

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »

Care to elaborate?

Doesn't work on my non-qwerty keyboard. A shitload of games are broken because of this.
Some languages correctly do the key translation but Flash doesn't and most flash crap games require WASD.
I know I have lesser living rights because I'm not born american , but hey Shrug

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

well im not sure how its completely flawed, but in the context of this game i dont think it would work well.  This isnt a game about strafing around and ducking around corners and dodging bullets.

WASD isn't flawed at all. Almost every person who plays first person games use WASD+Mouse (or Arrows+Mouse for left handed people), or a very similar combination (like what moi could use in his non-querty keyboard) and the reason is simple: analog input + natural hand placement.

I just can't understand why everyone thinks that WASD+Mouse has to do only with first person shooters or quick movement. Think out of the box people. It is about interfacing the human (player) with the machine (game). It has been proven by trial and error since early 90s that the WASD+Mouse (or similar combinations) is the best widely available interface we have for first person perspective (not just shooters, it has been used in adventure games and RPGs too). Unless you're trying to make a research project for new interface schemes (where using an older scheme as a base -but not unmodified- is justified, since in the current evolution of the controlling scheme we might have overlooked other possible setups), then there is not reason to break this established interface. It has nothing to do with style, retro or whatever (Wolfenstein 3D had mouse movement as well for example and it was recommended in the game's instructions - note that i mention Wolf3D because it is the best known raycaster game, however i'm still insisting and want to make clear that i don't focus on shooters, but on first person perspective games in general).

It has nothing to do with dodging bullets. It is all about making the controls intuitive so the player can focus on the game itself. I'll go as far as to say that i believe that many people who didn't "really liked" the game would have a better experience if a better control system was used. Of course at this point someone might say that this isn't the case, but i would receive his/her input with a grain of salt since people do not really realize when such things as bad controls are getting into their way or not and can attribute other reasons for not liking the game without knowing the true ones. When your brain has developed strong wires to something after a while you come to expect it. Sometimes you realize it when it is missing or not done as you expect, but some other times you just feel lost without being sure whats wrong, which usually means that you either give generic ("bland", "artsy", "boring", etc) or obvious ("bad art", "no interactivity", "low tech", etc) explanations. While these might bear some truth, they are not always the true reasons.

Of course with the last paragraph i'm not saying that everyone who didn't liked the game did it because of lack of WASD+Mouse controls, but that i believe that some would get a better experience if a better controlling scheme was used. However i don't know who actually does fit in the above description and who does not, and unfortunately neither the people who fit or not really know.

@moi:
Btw, what layout do you have?

~bs~
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »

I would have liked the game less if it had strafing as in WASD. If A and D were used to turn instead of strafe I'd be fine with it.
Therum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »

Spoilery stuff.

While I think your three-storylines idea is interesting (though I will admit that I don't get the prisoner thing you mentioned), I figured Judith was seeing Jeff's storyline, but misinterpreting or misremembering it - she just sort of assumed that Emily was Jeff's wife, she saw Jeff digging and just assumed he was digging a grave, she sees him taking the knife and just assumes he's going to kill himself, etc.

That's my interpretation of it, at least.
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »

I'm on campus right now and can't play this.

But it seems to be inspiring some pretty polarized responses on the front page.

I'm excited.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »

even in the newer version we reuploaded a couple of hours ago?

Whoops, I didn't download that one!

[WASD+mouse] is all about making the controls intuitive so the player can focus on the game itself.

Except that it's only intuitive for FPS players. For everybody else, arrow keys are the most intuitive choice, not some random selection of letter keys. Also, WASD would prepare you to expect the kind of things you normally find in FPS games, which would mean more unhappy players that didn't get what they wanted out of the game. Please, be more flexible: WASD+mouse is not the universally better layout, it just depends on the game.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »

WASD is broken

jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »

@Therum:

My take on it was that Judith was dreaming about Emily's husband, alluding to the possibility that he knows to some extent about the affair, as he mourns the "loss" of his wife to another man. The Prisoner represents him, trapped as he is in a loveless marriage from which he begs Judith (Emily) to release him. He also represents Jeff's wife to a certain extent, as he threatens Judith/Emily to "tell [her] husband where she's been." Ultimately, the character's powerless to free him- or herself from what the other characters do.

I like to think that's a neat little read of it, anyway.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »

You guys are reading too much into nothing. There is nothing more than what is shown, the interpretations are yours to do, but there is no "real" story.
You guys never go to see good quality movies? (I mean movies for grown ups). It's all about the atmosphere.

jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »

Well course there's no "real" story. Best thing for an author of anything to do is to make the thing and keep his mouth shut. Investing yourself in that thing and digging out your own conclusions is still worth it though.

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »

Most interpretations of vague stories strike me as either obvious (like Braid is about regretting mistakes) or far-fetched (like the Braid is really about the atomic bomb).

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

I enjoyed this, good job terry and stephen

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic