Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:22:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1954315 times)
eldog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7960 on: October 19, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »

Hi I'm eldog.

I wanted to be a rock star but accidentally did a degree in computer science.

My day life is IT consultancy from my living room. My night life is combining IT with Rock N' Roll onstage.

To fuse together IT and Rock N Roll, which is part of the art of making computers less dull, I have been doing more and more game-development sort of coding, which led me to these forums.

OldSoulCyborg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: October 19, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

Hello.

My name's Steingrímur and I'm a bit late with this introduction seeing as I joined the forum early last year.
For the longest time I've wanted to make games and have dabbled a little bit in GameMaker over the years, but never really finished anything.
Platformers are my favorite genre, especially games like Super Meat Boy, Dustforce and N. Anything with simple but really solid and deep controls that take a long time to master I can lose myself in for weeks or months.

kaal
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7962 on: October 20, 2014, 04:40:25 AM »

Hi,

I'm kaal.
I've made games for years and years, first as a hobby, then as a professional for 9 years, and I'm on the indie track at the moment (some would say that is somewhere in between).
I'm currently working on a casual/social RPG. I'm trying to get early feedback to improve it as much as I can.

Thanks!

chinykian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »

Hello!

My name is Chin Yong Kian, though people usually call me chinykian.
I work as a part-time game programmer in Singapore and spend the rest of my time working with my team on Spacejacked, our first serious title. I also work on little web games when I can find the time.
Having only graduated from university just slightly over a year ago, I'm still relatively new to the indie game scene. Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Maurycy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7964 on: October 20, 2014, 12:08:49 PM »

Hello folks! My name is Maurice (Actually it's Maurycy, but I prefer to use the English equivalent in English speaking communities), I am a programmer and games developer from Poland. I am also known as skell or, if someone has already snatched that nick, skellus but for quite a while I've been preferring to use my real name.

Some boring backstory: I've been making games for quite a few years, my first amateurish projects were done on Amiga 1200 in a program called Backbone. Then, somewhere around 2002 or 2003 when we finally had a Windows PC I've learnt Klik'n'Play, The Games Factory and Multimedia Fusion. Back then the games I made were really awful, but if you are desperate enough they can be found on my website (The last four: DP, Kanonier, Kulkis and PWL). My first contact with real programming was around 2004 or 2005, when I started to use Game Maker and also the quality of my games kinda rose up (The rest of the games marked as "oldies" on my website). The only real game I can be proud of from that time is Linx which maybe even someone here has played Smiley. Later I learnt Actionscript 3 which was my language of choice until this year when I moved to Unity and C#. Currently I am a freelancer making living as a *cough* full-stack *cough* developer *cough*.

What I have created: Aside from awful, old games which have no other than sentimental value I've made a good bunch of small and medium flash games of which the two I am most proud are Scribbland (a one-key platformer with pseudo hand-drawn art) and Flash remake of Linx. I've also made two big projects: Flash port of Deadly Rooms of Death (the best puzzle game ever if you ask me) and Monstro: Battle Tactics, a puzzler which plays like a tactic game which I hoped to be my entrance to the world of indie scene but even before finishing the game I realized it just isn't good enough.

What I am making now: My current project is a fixed space shooter not quite dissimilar to Deluxe Galaga or Warblade which I hope will prove to be a good game. I've been guided here by Alex Diener/ThemsAllTook and I hope that the community here will be kind enough to offer me feedback.

And yea, I guess I am a little talkative on the interwebz, if you haven't noticed... Tongue
CrispyVitamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7965 on: October 20, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »

Hi guys!

My name is Danny Wu and I'm from Taiwan.

I was in game industry in Taiwan for over 3 years developing MMO games.

I left my company 1 year ago and I'm developing a new indie with my friends since then.

Currently our game is on kickstarter, it's a puzzle platformer called The Sixth Chaos.

If you're interested you can check it here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676278530/the-sixth-chaos

And here's my twitter, feel free shoot me messages if you have anything want to ask.  Wink

https://twitter.com/solakila_
cgonzalez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »

Hello friends,

I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to register. I am a game developer in a Chilean indie studio called MEGO http://mego.cl where i work in server side programming: back-ends, multiplayer servers, socket messages, databases, etc. and i also make the music and sound effects for most of our games.

When i'm not working on our games i'm probably spending too much time on Minecraft. I am coding on a couple of servers and looking forward to start contributing on the sponge server project (http://www.spongepowered.org).
Fridgecrisis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7967 on: October 21, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »

Hello! My name's Jaron, and I go by Fridgecrisis online. I've been designing games in my spare time for years, but recently I left my comfy office job as a content guy at a software company to devote more attention to game development as a part-time job.

I designed a card game called Villages that did really well on Kickstarter recently (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/723489754/villages-a-construct-and-conquer-card-game), and I'm currently working on a few other small projects that will hopefully have successful campaigns of their own. My goal is to bring in enough income from smaller projects like these to support myself while I work on something bigger, hopefully with a small team.

Some of my favorite games include Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Persona 4 Golden, Bastion, Patapon 2, Super Mario World, Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Balloon Fight, just to name a few. I place a lot of value on a game's artwork, music, and story, and I hope the games I develop reflect that.

I look forward to getting to know you awesome folks and finding those special someones I'll be making games with someday. Could you be among them?!  Who, Me?

Oh, I'm on Twitter! https://twitter.com/Fridgecrisis
adriantalens
Level 0

nocturnal audio wiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7968 on: October 21, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »

I am a composer and sound designer for online media & video games. I have over 10 years experience as an audio production professional in recording, mixing, mastering, sound editing, along with a formal background as a multi-instrumentalist musician/composer.

I'm a long time dungeon crawler. A few favorite games: Earthbound, FF7, Chrono Trigger, Megaman X, Metal Gear series, Fallout series, Castlevania SOTN, Portal 2.

If you like Savant, Madeon, Anamanaguchi, my latest track is video game EDM:
https://soundcloud.com/adriantalens/talens-press-start

Message me if you need music/audio for your game!

Adrian Talens
Composer & Sound Designer
Soundcloud
Twitter
mandalaeyes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7969 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

Hey, just joined up here, so obligatory introduction...

I'm not a game developer, and I haven't done anything related to games yet. I am a musician, who makes pretty un-gamey music.

Games were always around me when I was growing up, and I enjoyed them, but I drifted away from them until this past year. I had a revelation about how amazing games are as an art form, and now I'm just playing every interesting game I can get my hands on and trying to learn more about the medium and the community.

I tend to be drawn to games more for their personality, story and aesthetic than for the mechanics and gameplay--although obviously in a good game, mechanics should be integrated in a way that reflects and expands on the overall personality, aesthetic and narrative. So some of my recent favorites have been Papers, Please (Lucas Pope made me aware of this forum!), Gone Home, Fez, Kentucky Route Zero, To The Moon, Botanicula, The Wolf Among Us... I have kind of a weakness for point-n-click adventures, also. I still have a deep love for some of the games I played as a kid, like Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask and the original Super Smash Bros (which will always remain the most perfect party game in my heart).

I'm beginning to learn a bit about game design and development for mobile platforms, but at this point the whole prospect of making games is still just a big nebulous mystery to me. I don't know if it's "for me" but I do know that at this point I want to learn much more about it. So that's why I'm here. :-)

P.S. I'd also be down to do audio work on games, since I have an established love of audio and music. Though that's not a role I'm actively seeking out.

I mainly make homegrown experimental music, but I'm here to learn about games!
MLG - SB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: October 22, 2014, 10:22:29 AM »

Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

Time to break my TIG Forums virginity, and post to the obligatory introduce yourself thread.

The name is Stephen, and I currently represent 1/4 of a small group who go by the name of Mad Loop Games based out of Madrid.

A bit about us:
We all met while studying a Unity Engine games development course in Madrid. The result of this course was our first game together called The Lost Symphony. A 2D puzzle platformer released on Android here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.madloopgames.TheLostSymphony

A bit about me:
Earliest gaming memory was probably fighting with my brother over the Acorn Electron to play a rock solid game called SIM (http://www.personalcomputernews.co.uk/pcnb/html/103/personal_computer_news_103_gameplay_bbc_sim.html). Shortly thereafter we were introduced to the world of the NES system, and became massive Nintendo fans.

I love shoot'em ups (Ikaruga, Gradius V, R-Type, Contra etc.) and platformers probably thanks to playing the NES for so long.

Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to chatting with some of you in due course.

Take care.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

bugbytemike
Level 0

It's adderall!

View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: October 22, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »

Hey folks, I'm Mike.

I've been programming on and off for about 6 years now, and I've finally made my way over to these forums. Yay me!
I'm a one man team slaving away coding day & night, hoping to someday make a successful indie game, and not have to get a real job. I'm fluent in C++, C#, and Java, and I'm decent in a handful of other languages.
Right now I'm having troubles with making a full game (learning pixel art and music production as well).

Hopefully, I'll be able to learn alot here, and meet some awesome fellow devs and gamers.
Cheers!

Coffee if(coffeeCup.isEmpty()) me.happy = false; Coffee
fith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

Hello. My name is Kevin Mangan.
I'm 32, I've been half-assedly programming and making art for 25 years, almost entirely motivated by games… until I got out of college and the jobs were in web development. I've worked for some large corporations (I worked on Vista, but it wasn't my fault), and a lot of random start-ups that you've never heard of, and I worked briefly for Unity's fledgling game publishing division before they shut it down.

I've known about TIG for a long time, but haven't participated. Time to jump in.
I've been making personal demos and mods and weekend projects forever, but never released anything beyond my friend circle. Trying to change that now, and maybe correct my career path (although I love my current web dev job) with an iOS game I've been putting together over the summer. I'll post about that in the relevant places.

A lot of people posted games they like… I'm not even sure where to start with that. I'll play anything if it moves me. I'll play anything if it moved someone else. I like the philosophy of game design as much as playing the games themselves, so trying to suss out what makes things enjoyable for one person versus another, or what makes mechanics work well or not, is a blast and something I spend more than an appropriate amount of time thinking about.
To at least be specify something though: I'm a huge Souls series fan. For a while I was streaming Dark Souls 2 on Twitch while cosplaying as Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls (1). There's no shame in my game.
StoneJonez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »

Hey everyone! I go by the name Stone Jonez (only online of course).

I got into games at the age of 7 when I got a GameBoy for Christmas. Games have been a huge part of my life ever since then. My first step into creating games of my own happened years later when I got a copy of Duke Nukem 3D for my birthday. I was probably way too young to be playing that game at the time but I'm glad my mom bought it for me because once I discovered the level editor on that CD I learned that games weren't just something to be bought and played. I ended up spending WAY more time making levels for the game than actually playing it. While I never released anything to the public, I learned so much and had so much fun even though I was the only one playing through the things I made.

Years later I got Unreal for Christmas (see a pattern here?). The first thing I did after installing was to do a web search and find out how to make my own maps. While I never got into UnrealEd as much as I did with build, I still had the desire to make something of my own.

Eventually (many years later), I started to learn some C++ and tried to make my own game engine. I never got very far, as it is quite a daunting task to do on your own. I got kinda discouraged from making my own game after that and the idea of making a game became less of a priority as time went by. Then earlier this year I found out that Epic Games made the Unreal Engine available with a subscription. I went NUTS. I subscribed the first day I heard about it and started learning as much as I could.

Now I'm working on a third-person survival horror game using UE4 and it is basically all I do with my free time. I went through a few different game ideas but this is the one that really stuck. It is heavily inspired by The Last of Us and Resident Evil (the older ones before RE4). I've learned quite a bit along the way and created things I never thought I would be capable of. This is definitely one project I will never stop working on. Unfortunately I don't have a title for it yet but when I do, you'll see it in the devlog section!
Tyro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7974 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

Hiya! So my name is Josh, I'm an indie coder/musician/artist. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I got into video games playing the Sega Genesis as a lad. I was fortunate enough to grow up with some top-quality vidyahs like: Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic 3, and The Adventures of Batman and Robin. The all-around amazingness of these games fueled my imagination as a kid, inspiring me to create ones like them.

Thought I'm currently employed as an IT professional, I'd like to be a full-time indie in the distant future. For now, I'm satisfied with working on my project(s) in the spare time after work and on weekends.

Oh, and it'd be great to meet some fellow indies here and provide them with feedback on their projects. Ciao!

Rob Rule
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:23 PM »

A few of you guys know me already, but it's high time I do a quick intro thing.

My name's Rob.

I spend a disgustingly large amount of time browsing this place, but it's one of those rare forums that I rarely feel like is a waste of my time doing so. Peoples' work here is constantly inspiring me and after a read I'm invariably itching to start coding/designing immediately. Of course I usually go to sleep instead, but I'm not going to tell you that.

My interests hover around the subjects of literature, boxing, animation, people, food - all the usual stuff. Walks on the beach, likes to go out and stay in, etc. Fascinating, I know. Tig-wise, I've recently been enjoying RinkuHero's impressively concerted 'drawing 1'000 images' project and, as always, the chucklesome witterings of DrDerekDoctors.

My current game is, well, here: www.facebook.com/playrural but give it a day or two and there'll be more information around. Previous to the link above, this project has only been shared with family and friends, so I'm looking forward to/am nervous about finally submitting my work to my peers.

Rob Rule.
Monstro
Level 0

Writer. Running late but moving quickly

View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: October 23, 2014, 01:15:32 AM »

Hello, this is my obligatory self-conscious "hullo" Beer!

I'm a writer and a programmer, currently trying to combine the two skills into a multiplayer storytelling game I'm building in my spare (ha!) time. I expect I'll talk about that more later.

I spend too much time in front of a computer screen, so I like to give my eyes a break with a good movie or TV series (ha!), the occasional round of badminton, a walk up a hill or a crawl out of a pub. I think that's what you call in a CV a 'rounded personality'?

I'm a proper PC gamer, though I have been picking up a gamepad a little more over the last year. With the time I have, I like to play either very narrative-driven games, or fringe/experimental indie titles. Or I thought I did: lately a lot of games which should have been right up my street have left me a little cold. I'm apparently the only person who thinks Divinity:OS is a trainwreck*, is surprised (and upset) that 32-bit systems are now barely-supported legacy, and that The Last of Us is mediocrity-on-rails+.

I've been battling a sort of fatigue with games for a few years now. Occasionally I'll get hooked on something, but I tend to find that when I'm gaming I've often got one eye on the clock. Which is something of a barrier to escapism. There's a bunch of reasons, a major one, I think, being that I lost contact with the online gaming group who I used to spend a lot of time with.

Saying all that, Awesomenauts has snuck in under the radar and woken up something of a good-old-fashioned addition, which I'm enjoying immensely.

Looking forward to exploring the community here. Speak soon!

* I'm not very far in, but I haven't summoned the patience to find the best of it, yet
+ Didn't finish it, unlikely to pick it up again. Excellent production and world-building, contrived and clumsy gameplay. Suspect it'd be a better movie than game.

WillBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7977 on: October 23, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »

Coffee Good day chaps,

Felt I should add my name to the board, I'm Will, I'm a developer based in Northern Ireland, I work for a company called BillyGoat Entertainment and we make adventure games.

Currently working on this.
RatPatrol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: October 23, 2014, 04:27:52 AM »

I am not a Game Dev ...
I am a Fan and Occasional Modder ...  Noir
I was designing my own map levels for Marathon on Macs back when you had PFHORTE for level design.
and for Escape Velocity you used ResEdit to modify a file called EV Plug-in.

I actually registered to comment on Obra Dinn ...
it is all PC Gamers Fault ....  Wink

Oh and I love Alphas so this is probably a great place to hang out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ResEdit

Alpha Supporter:
Endless Space
The Dead Linger
Firefall - Founder Level Supporter
Dead State
Star Force
Kinetic Void
Kenshi
Door Kickers

Beta Player:
Diablo III
Defiance
Firefalll - Founder
disemq
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »

Hi, I'm edward!

I'm beginning game development. Half programmer/designer. Like pixel art related stuff.
First encounter with games was with the Game & Watch.. then with the Famicom, SNES, N64, then PC and now iOS!

Best regards and keep on moving !

edward

Pages: 1 ... 397 398 [399] 400 401 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic