Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 02:26:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThink this has any potential?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Think this has any potential?  (Read 3547 times)
Glaiel-Gamer
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »

Arrows + space
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »

Actually, yeah. Maybe you could make it Elite Beat Agents style, with little circles and paths telling you where to go.

For now, it's a cool little thing.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:09:08 PM »

It's cool! Only problem is that the sounds are a bit painful...
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »

I would make it so that the things you shoot play the closest tone on the chromatic scale, in order to avoid the weird dissonant intervals (where things are half way between notes) here.

Jesseyay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »

Ahh, I clicked on this link and thought my speakers broke -_- took me a minute or so to figure out what was happening  Embarrassed
Yeah limiting the sounds to the chromatic scale sounds like a good idea or limiting them to a major/minor scale depending on what's happening in the game.
Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss
thats fucking awesome, dude. winner. definitely. i need to use a record of it in my next track Gentleman
Renton
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:59 AM »

This has so much potential it hurts.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:39 AM »

It looks nice but feels very slow -- what's the fps? I tend to think that if you're going for lots of effects like motion blur and such Flash isn't a great platform for that. Even Game Maker would do that effect faster.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »

It looks nice but feels very slow -- what's the fps? I tend to think that if you're going for lots of effects like motion blur and such Flash isn't a great platform for that. Even Game Maker would do that effect faster.

It's not the effects causing lag it's the sound generation (flash is no beast at floating point calculations) and nothing was very optimized right now, i just hacked it together in like an hour yesterday. I dunno if I'm gonna do anything with it though.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »

If you can optimize it I can see a lot of potential for this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:24:37 AM »

What did I just smoke?

Visuals got lots of potential but the sfx were horrible.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:34:09 AM by Todd Wilson » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »

Ah, I see. What sound generation effects are used? I heard some frequency changing, where the frequency seems to vary based on the location. Are the sound samples themselves created procedurally, or is the frequency just changed?

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »

Ah, I see. What sound generation effects are used? I heard some frequency changing, where the frequency seems to vary based on the location. Are the sound samples themselves created procedurally, or is the frequency just changed?

All the samples were created procedurally based on the Y value.

(there's a lot of little things I did here to try and make flash crunch the floats faster like making a local reference to sin but there's still a lot more I could do with that)

Code:
function soundGen(event:SampleDataEvent):void {
var sin = Math.sin;
for (const c:uint=0; c<1024; c++) {
pitch += (pitch-((500-ship.y) / 150))/-20480;
timer += .1 * pitch;
var val:Number = Math.sin(timer);
for(var i:uint = 0; i<Bullets.length; i++){
var p = (500-Bullets[i].y)/150;
Bullets[i].timer += .3*p;
Bullets[i].vtimer += .0004;
Bullets[i].volume = sin(Bullets[i].vtimer);
val += sin(Bullets[i].timer) * Bullets[i].volume * (Bullets[i].x>700 ? (800-Bullets[i].x)/200 : 1);
}
event.data.writeFloat(val*.3);
}
}
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:09 AM »

It looks good, but y'know at the end of the day it's a box that shoots sideways.

I think a good idea would be to firstly change the sound from a piercing wave sound to a shorter single sound that plays once as you shoot- Keep the idea of the pitch being determined by your _y position, that's great. Then you could place enemies to appear in a specific sequence so that if you shoot them all as they come at you it makes music.

Then you could have things in the background like industrial factories that coincidentally provide basslines. It'd be kind of like Walk Smash Walk crossed with

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

Definitely has potential. Just make sure you lower the volume, because there's a lot of clipping going on. Also, don't make it a generic shoot'em up with a twist, please.

I would make it so that the things you shoot play the closest tone on the chromatic scale, in order to avoid the weird dissonant intervals (where things are half way between notes) here.

But it's beautifully dissonant.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »

It has potential. Even as it is, it was fun to fool arounf with it. Although I think it would lose me a bit without the piercing tones, the sounds are right as they are now.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »

Yeah, definite potential, although it hurts my ears too much at the moment  Hand Point RightGiggleHand Point Left

As it is now, I think it would be cool if it was some kind of freaky-interlude in a less dissonant game version of the same thing, if that makes any sense at all. Reminds me of the ending of 2001 (which I like)

Survival-horror-rhythm-action! Wink

Lyx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:32 AM »

My first thought was "strangely hypnotic".

I do like that the tone generation is not rasterized - just the clipping is distracting... oh and... when i accidentelly made it go up offscreen infinitely, i closed the page out of fear that it may fry my speakers Wink

Personally, i can imagine this being a "strange" experience if it had changing backgrounds, some things to interact with, and changing sounds... but then, it may become illegal Smiley
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

It's beautiful. My mind hurts.

Maybe you could team up with Amon26.
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

nice effects, but my ears are bleeding