Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:59:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[completed] creeping
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [completed] creeping  (Read 7235 times)
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »

finished!
play it

it's a stealth/shooting game. the shooting part makes a more interesting video, though Smiley

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:37:00 PM by maxwell » Logged

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

wow nice work maxwell, looks impressive!  Did you do the artwork for this and programming?  Can you give us a little more info on the background of the project and the project itself?

MaloEspada
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:22:56 PM »

Really smooth and interesting.
I love the action, haha.

Looking forward to more.
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »

Really nice and smooth, great work Maxwell!
The anatomy on the people is a little strange, but I think you pulled off the top-down perspective really well.  Smiley

maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:00:42 PM »

Hi, thanks. I programmed it, some other guys made the artwork. I've been working on it on-and-off for >3 years, and it's almost done!

About the game, it's isometric 3D, you can run around, jump, shoot (point & click), take cover, etc. Also, you can teleport through walls, or just to get somewhere faster or confuse your enemies. The game is a sequence of levels like the one in the video w/ a couple bosses thrown in, in the video I just killed all the enemies but you can also play by stealth--you can sneak up from behind for stealth kills, observe guards' patrols to figure out the timing to get past them, make noise to get guards to come over and investigate, etc. It's possible to play the entire game without using violence.

I want to finish this up and start another similar project that would support more players and content, and of course have none of the problems that the old one does Smiley. Definitely learned a lot from making this and from paying attention what other indies have been doing well in the past few years.

maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »

Would anybody like to test? I've been fixing bugs & tweaking for the past month, the game is nearly ready to go now.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »

I'll test. Looks like a neat game!
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

I'd be up for testing as well!

Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09:04 PM »

Looks pretty nice! Glad to see you put in a twist that is actually well thought out for the action in the game, and doesn't feel like a gimmick. Cheesy

Renton
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:55:23 AM »

For the PC, yeah? I can test.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14:15 AM »

That looks great! I'd also be interested in testing this.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

I really liked the Teleport mechanic. I find that once you alert someone, it's almost impossible to win the level, because enemies spawn so fast. Also, if you quit the game, it doesn't save.
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »

ha, dernit, the SWF2EXE program I started using broke saves. Guess I should have tested that more. Anyone hasn't tried their demo yet, maybe hold off for a bit, I'll fix it after work.

Everybody says the game's too hard so I think I need to do something about that as well...

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 06:44:15 PM »

I think the sneahing dificulty is just fine. Just the Strait fighting. I think making the enemies respawn slower or have  a set limit on enemies would be good.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

I love the look of the game.
Want criticism? I have some: the tiles look a lot 'square', you could add non-square elements to break the grid somehow.

maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »

squares are easier to program Smiley

it's an interesting thing to think about though. I struggle a lot with figuring out whether a feature is worth the work it requires. In this case I know I can't give up my grid because I decided to use it very early on, so now there's a ton of code that needs it.  It figures into the design too, because grids express distance, and that's important with my weird isometric perspective.  But if I were starting a new game it's the type of thing I would have to think about, though that's challenging for me because it's mostly a decision about visual style and I'm no artist.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:39:46 PM by maxwell » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »

I don't thing he meant to abandon the grid. I think he just wanted more non square elements, like in the background for instance. I think the very square appearance looks fine, as your in a big city, and most urban areas looks very square.
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:20 AM »

This looks really sweet...with nightcrawler style teleportation and all Wizard. My only complain is the character art though. And yes, if testplay is still available, I like to give it a shot Smiley

GOZU
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:22:27 AM »

I don't have the spare time to offer assistance with testing this, but I wanted to post anyways just to say that this looks absolutely fantastic. The gameplay video looks excellent, reminds me a little of Metal Gear Solid, but much more action-orientated Smiley

Only criticism is that the health packs in the screenshots stand out like a sore thumb in my opinion, I'd definitely change the sprite for them. Other than that though, really nice work Hand Thumbs Up Right
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 04:39:11 AM »

I don't thing he meant to abandon the grid. I think he just wanted more non square elements, like in the background for instance. I think the very square appearance looks fine, as your in a big city, and most urban areas looks very square.

Yes, I just wanted to say: do bigger tiles, and paint non-square things in them. They would anyway belong to a grid, but 'visually' you will break monotony.

As mokesmoe‽ reports, for the city the square look is ok. But for other locals?
Just a suggestion, anyway.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic