Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:52:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMessage to All New Gamemakers
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Message to All New Gamemakers  (Read 12563 times)
Silhouette
Level 0

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2009, 03:56:53 PM »

Hey everyone.  Today I contacted somebody I saw on TIGsource via instant messaging, because he had posted an introduction stating his weaknesses for being unable to finish games, and see projects through to their end.  Being in the same boat, I thought it was a good idea to look him up.  We had a rather lengthy discussion on game making in general, the tools we use, and the skills we possess.  I found it thrilling to talk to someone who was rather new to the game making scene, like me.

I have always been interested in the idea of game making, but could never really commit to it, and dive into it.  But, it's Christmas break now, and I'm giving it a shot.  I have no desire to become some big time programmer, and I have no prior programming experience, so naturally, I chose to use a game engine.  I chose GM8, to be specific.

I've been at it for about 2 days, finding time when I can.  I must say, I'm having a great time.  Learning the basics is quite fun for me, and I look forward to learning the more advanced functions.  I enjoy setting challenging goals for myself and reasoning my way through the task at hand.  However, I know very well that beginner game making can, at times, be discouraging.  Hence the reason for this post.

I'm calling out to all new game makers.  Specifically the ones just beginning, or who don't have much programming experience(or none at all).  I'd like to get to know some fellow newbies, and possibly communicate over IM.  So please, if you're new to the game making scene, drop a reply, and let's communicate.  I'd love to get to know you, and discuss various game making elements with you.  It would really motivate me to continue my game making adventure, and get my creativity flowing.  It might even do the same for you!

~Sil

P.S.  I use AIM most frequently, and my screen name is RivKid3031.

<sig>Insert Generic Signature Here</sig>
dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 04:24:27 PM »

Hey. Nice thread. I've been playing around with Game Maker 7 for a while. The only finished thing I have remotely resembling a "game" is beatnik Jazz Party, which is a bit like a rhythm game except there's no scoring or any way to win or lose. I'm currently working (intermittently) on a running-and-jumping type thing like Canabalt, except with shooting.

Sometimes I think about trying out different tools such as Flixel or whatever, but I figure GM's hard enough already. Anyway, I'm more into the graphics side off things; I've recently started work with an actual proper programmer on a new project. Dunno if I'm allowed to tlak about it though. I can say it's nice being able to work on all the sprites and stuff without that dreadful sinking feeling that I'll never be able to get them to do anything.

Silhouette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »

Hey, nice to meet you.  Nice game!  Your sprites are pretty legit, so I don't blame you for wanting to concentrate on the artwork.  Got any graphics for that run n jump shooter?  Sounds awesome.

I love the graphics side of things too. However, I'm still very interested in gaining the ability to make them do whatever I desire.  Game making is something I've always wondered about.  I want to prove to myself that I can do it.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

ROCK ON
MaloEspada
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »

Coffee POWER TO THESE NEW INDIE DEVS
increpare
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »

enjoy your work...hope game comes out ok...
Ashkin
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »

Although I know GML (game maker language) quite well, I've never had the inspiration or follow-through to actually finish a game. I'm hoping my Assemblee entry will be my first completed game.
Here's to that!  Coffee
PlayMeTape
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »

I'm quite new as well. Especially in the sense that I haven't finished much. But my gamma entry is coming along quite nicely.

Good luck to the lot of you and don't get discouraged!
stolide
Level 0

Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »

I am very new. All I have made is a 5 room shooter with game maker (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10082.0). Right now I'm working on a game where you are trapped inside of your own mind. It's going to be a sort of action roguelike-inspired kind of thing. I'm getting it to randomly generate a bunch of blocks and enemies. You also have a gun that can destroy these blocks to help you navigate. Right now I'm working on trying to get the enemies to not be able to move through my walls in Construct.

Sites of mine,

(On energetic dualism) http://teneonon.weebly.com/

(Homebrew tabletop rpgs) http://quomodo.weebly.com/
Silhouette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »

Interesting stuff.  Newbs ftw.

@stolide
Sounds awesome.  I wish I was trapped inside of my own mind.  o.O

@Ashkin
Here's to that indeed! Coffee
And here's hoping that all new game makers will follow through on their project to the bitter end. :D

On a side note:  Anyone out there an absolute beginner?  Like... hasn't even made a game before(or even tried).  Let me know!

TheDustin
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:41:10 PM »

I actually tried working with Construct three weeks ago. I devoured all of the tutorials and was suprised at how easy it was. My first game I'm trying to make is a short platformer that deals with addiction (long story), and I got all of the underlying mechanics in place in under two hours. For whatever reason I can't open it back up and do the fairly simple level design.  Embarrassed Best of luck man!

And DBB: your pixel skills are pretty ace, I can't wait to see what you've got coming down the pike!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 05:28:16 AM »

My story is a bit weird. I started developing games some 6 years ago, hacked around with C++ and created horrible, buggy games with ASCII graphics, but never really took it seriously. I came to a point where I simply figured I'm too dumb/too much of a procrastinator to ever get a decent game together and called it quits, focusing on music and other things.

Then, last year, I discovered the indie scene and was surprised to see such a large number of great games made with Game Maker, which I'd always dismissed as "not real programming" and "not a viable way to make games". Inspired by GM games like Spelunky and SY!NSO among others, I decided to give it another, bought GM7 and made my first "decent, proper" game, Pinknoise. It was an arduous 6-month process full of procrastination and abandoning the project due to low confidence in my abilities several times, but I eventually managed to finish it. I'm growing more and more self-confident the more I work with GM and I'm even starting to take game development seriously.  Wink
Silhouette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »

Hmmm...
@TheDustin:
That sounds wicked.  So you found construct easy huh?  I'll prolly give it a shot somewhere down the line.  GM is pissing me off lately, causing unexplainable problems.  I'd love to work them out, but with no error messages it can be frustrating.

You can't load your game for continued work?  What exactly do you mean.

@CAsinclair:
Round of applause for you man on making progress.  Sometimes it can be easy to lose interest when you don't see results, so gratz for pushing yourself through and finishing something. :D

Good luck to you in the future of indie dev.

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:56 AM »

You can't load your game for continued work?  What exactly do you mean.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think he is referring to a lack of motivation, rather than a technical issue?
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

I like a man/woman that can give a good speach. So I'll reply like so:

I'm your guy with no experience in programming or art or music. However, I have a feeling I'm going to finish this game I've started, since my plan was to start it next year, but I've already begun out of sheer joy of making it.

So far I've dabbled in Python (no go) and Game Maker (the basics are down, if I wanted to continue in GM8 I could), which I may buy, but I'm about to see what I can do with Construct.

I don't believe coding will be the problem once I begin, its more the style of play that will make it stand out.

I've only got msn for those that care, my particularly obvious email is [email protected]

Keep up the good stuff people, I love to see mockups and hear ideas, so feel free to contact me.  Coffee
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:12 AM »

Wow, what a nice thread.

Back in high school I wanted to write some games and learn programming.  I bought Dark Basic Pro (see: http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/), messed around a bit with it, but never got very far with it (I didn't understand arrays back then...  Embarrassed).  I got some simple objects to move around on screen, bounce and fly around with some controls.

Then I went to college and got an AS in Computer Science, going to be working on a BS this semester (arrays make a lot more sense now  Tongue).

One of my projects I developed for school was the game Go (no networking and no AI opponent to play against, but perfectly fine for playing with a buddy).  I think I have written Tic-Tac-Toe and Rock Paper Scissors types of games in class, nothing to fancy.

Working on a game for the currently running Assemblee competition.  Lots of fun, lots of important design decisions to be made.

Hope you are successful with all your endeavors Silhouette.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Silhouette
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »

Hmmm.  Interesting stories.  Also, same to you BigLon.  Same to everyone.

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:33 AM »

Nice to see someone trying to connect with the newbies such as myself and a lot of others. I've been looking to do the same but this being really also my first internet community I'm still learning the etticate(sp?) and was nervous to do something like this encase I posted it in the wrong place. Admittedly I suck on the programming side at the best of times but I'm still working at it, I come into my own in my concepts and my art but I'd love to get to know some programmers (hell even fellow indie game artists) cause it's always nice to have people you can communicate with who are going though the same discoveries as you who you can share ideas, experiences and tips with...not to mention being one of the only people in my social circles into game making it's murder having no one to discuss it with.

Any fellow newbies (or experienced people) who fancy saying hello by all means do so, my msn is [email protected] although for other means of contact just e-mail me (or PM me on here if TIG has a PM system) and I'll let you know :-)
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »

I love this thread.
I'm a new programmer working on my AAS (about 2-3 years under my belt) and I totally want to make a 2d side-scrolling version of Battlefield 1942. Kind of a cross between Triplane Turmoil and Abuse with the mouse aiming concept.
I'm trying really hard to learn C++ and SDL/OpenGL (stuff they don't teach you in a tech school) but... It's difficult. It's certainly not as simple as the database apps I've been making in school for the past 2 years.
I would love to have some buddies who are in a similar boat as I am.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Dr. Weird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »

Well, I doubt I have the attention span to really become something invovled in a game's production, but I've always wanted to be an idea guy for a game. I'd be willing to try to learn coding or music-making (I CAN NOT do images), but for now I can't offer anything besides ideas and problem-solving. If anyone is stuck on something, I'll do what I can to help for a spot in the credits. Wizard
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic