Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:10:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Does anyone understand this?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Does anyone understand this?  (Read 39288 times)
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 11:29:20 PM »

The board needed a pillow.

Have you ever had to lean perfectly straight against a wall for days? Try it sometime.

It's not the board's fault that the nearest functional cushioning was a child's birthday balloon.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »

footrest

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 11:59:52 PM »

Durr...?

I AM FREE!
Kekskiller
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »

oh, dang. THAT's interesting, pen.
Ashkin
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »

It's... No, it's...

I'm confused.. Crazy
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 02:26:19 AM »

I thought it was more trite (triter?) than the balloon-plank.

Ah well.
Kekskiller
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 02:29:58 AM »

I think modern art is about what somebody finds interesting to look at/think about rather than a real artistical expression. Just look at the dumbasses making silly constructions of stuff you usually throw away or use otherwise. And then they hope somebodys senses a reason there.

Oh nose.

It means an art student forgot about his assignment until the morning it was due.
Seriously. I'm an art student and I've done shit like this.

My condolences for you.
Ashkin
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 02:55:01 AM »

On abstract art:

Jackson Pollock.

He's basically throwing paint at a canvas. I've seen cats do better. CATS.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »

If that is art, I feel sorry for the 'artist'. Because, well, that's beaming the guy's desperation at own lack of creativity.

So he trapped a balloon to vent own frustrations. In next shot, the balloon will be punctured thirteen times with kitchen knife and the board nailed into nineteen times, then used to beat the nearest docile animal with.

Art, guys.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:03 AM »

Facepalm

On abstract art:

Jackson Pollock.

He's basically an artist who changed the art world by throwing paint at a canvas.

WHEN is often more important than HOW when discussing art.

I AM FREE!
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:52 AM »

Bollock, more like.  Durr...?
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

Bollock, more like.  Durr...?

I AM FREE!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »

REVENGE OF THE BALLOON
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »

I think modern art is about what somebody finds interesting to look at/think about rather than a real artistical expression. Just look at the dumbasses making silly constructions of stuff you usually throw away or use otherwise. And then they hope somebodys senses a reason there.
Isn't all art about 'what somebody finds interesting to look at/think about'? What else would it be about? What do you mean by 'real artistic expression'? It seems like when people look at modern or abstract art, they instantly start searching for some deep and hidden meaning, and if they don't find one then they dismiss it as rubbish. But that kind of criticism is never directed toward any other genre of art. Classical art usually has no meaning at all (i.e. portraits) or a very obvious and shallow meaning, such as religious or mythological scenes.

I agree that a lot of modern art is indeed created from rubbish or other household materials, and probably created with a lot less expenditure of effort than a traditional artwork. But to me, it's only the finished product that counts, not the difficulty or length of the creative process. Otherwise, you could argue that the greatest artwork would be the one that took the most time and effort for the artist to create it, even if it looks like crap.

Now, you can say that even if we focus on the finished product, you don't find the balloon-board aesthetically pleasing. That's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion; but try to remember that it is only an opinion, and shouldn't be used as a basis for insulting people. I don't like opera, or death metal, or tower defense games, but I still don't go around saying that they're 'silly' and that the people who make them are 'dumbasses'.

bento_smile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 03:41:04 AM »

I'm curious what the title of the piece in the original post is. A good title could take it from being immature/trite to being ironic.  Grin

(I quite like modern art personally, although my tastes are pretty specific.)
Kekskiller
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 03:47:18 AM »

Broomy, I just wanted to sound intelligent. Real artistic expression is something that's born as an emotional expression out of the skill itself. I see no respectable skill in placing a piece of wood on a ballon.

And that's it: art is (for me) always something skill-bound.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »

Broomy, I just wanted to sound intelligent. Real artistic expression is something that's born as an emotional expression out of the skill itself. I see no respectable skill in placing a piece of wood on a ballon.

And that's it: art is (for me) always something skill-bound.
But craft != art. Skill != art.

Using your logic if someone takes a photograph with the automatic settings on, it can't be art.

I AM FREE!
bento_smile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »

One thing that studying art taught me, is that skill is only about 25% of your grade.  Gentleman

Edit: Ok, so that's a little bit hyperbolic. But rationalising work is more important for a good mark than just doing it.  Smiley
Kekskiller
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 06:07:38 AM »

Using your logic if someone takes a photograph with the automatic settings on, it can't be art.

Exactly. It's photo shit.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 07:07:45 AM »

Exactly. It's photo shit.
But a photograph with the exact same result but with its settings put in manually is art? (because I seriously doubt you'd think photography can't be art)

I AM FREE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic