Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:33:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Monster Tamer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Monster Tamer  (Read 5287 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »

Hi guys

Gunna pop in for a last minute entry that I've been considering for a while/working on a little. Essentially, its a pokemon-style strategy battling RPG. So, you have a monster, and you fight another monster. Each one has a (limited!) slew of attacks, a bunch of positive and negative qualities (passive effects, or move amplifiers/dampeners), and a few stats. Additionally, the battle itself has some qualities, that either player can manipulate - Distance, Weather, and time of Day (although the latter two aren't going to be as easily manipulated). Take turns and duke it out!

Right now, at least for Assemblee, its looking like you start with one monster, with a specific set of moves, and try to beat all of the other monsters that are scattered around the map. You can switch your monster out for any monster you've beaten, between battles.

SCREENSHOTS:
Map view:

So far - I've made the battle system, although it is currently text based.

TODO LIST:
1) Make map display (CHECK) walk around on map (CHECK)
2) Make battles graphical (Checkish)
3) Add status effects
4) Tweak battles (ex add some way of determining who goes first on a given turn)
5) Let you switch monsters
6) Make the AI...!

Also, I forgot - put enemies on the map.

OPTIONAL TODO THAT PROBABLY WONT BE DONE FOR ASSEMBLEE:
1) use Lua for attacks/status effects/etc
2) Make custom monsters?
3) Netplay
4) Cool earthboundy backgrounds.

Will have a screenshot up eventually! But so far I'm planning on using easyname's tiles and sprites (the angel/demon ones!). Also will be using someone's HUD tiles, and a small spritefont, although those two haven't really been considered.

Here goes nothing!

---LINK---
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2kn4yjwzqi/Release.zip

Controls are very disjointed at this point - WASD to move on the map, z&x to switch attacks in battle, and space to select an attack or progress the text.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:34:46 AM by dspencer » Logged

Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:28 PM »

So, what does the player do?  Do they control the monsters?  Do they somehow train and improve the monsters?  A game that focuses on the details of someone who trains animals would be cool.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »

So, what does the player do?  Do they control the monsters?  Do they somehow train and improve the monsters?  A game that focuses on the details of someone who trains animals would be cool.

I agree! Let's all do our best!

But seriously, it would be a nice addition to the compo and one I'd like to play. Hope you get it done  Hand Thumbs Up Right
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:40:21 PM »

HI EVERY ONE NEW TO THIS SITE LKE TO MAKE FRIENDS

(monster Tamer)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36:58 AM »

the player just battles the monsters - presumably, their characters also tames the ones that you beat in battle. I'm not including any training part because I don't really like the grind part of games like this - I want to just jump straight to strategic thinking.

Updated the first post with a rather silly looking screenshot - the game now supports the player walking around; however, I haven't set up the code to display the monster sprites, so that is not shown yet.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:55:23 AM by dspencer » Logged

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »

Update - battles are fairly graphical right now. I've still got some finishing up to do, but they display! Now i just need to populate animations for all the attacks...

Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »

Looks neat! I sure hope you have today and Saturday clear, because you are gonna need all the time you can get to finish.

What are you making this in? Will it be OSX-only?

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »

I'm not sure this is going to get finished - been busier with other stuff in the last few days than I would have liked...

I made battles work, and now you can freely go into battle from the map, and you return to the map at victory/loss.

At this point, I still need to do -
Placing Enemies on the map
Content Creation (Attacks, Animations, Enemies)
Music + Sound Effects

Depending on how easy SDL_Mixer is to use/learn, and how long it takes me to select resources, sound shouldn't take too long.
Placing enemies on the map, likewise, should be easy enough. Content creation will definitely take the longest time. I'm thinking I'll release the game with a few battles, and then keep adding more until the deadline.

GOGO.

Oh, also the code should be cross platform, but for tonight I'm just going to keep building it on a mac. I'll make a PC build soon though.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

Not done  Sad. Still missing content. Everything else is just swell, though. I'll put together what I can until the forum time reaches midnight, and then I'll upload.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »

Fell asleep last night. But uploaded what I have. Walk into enemies to fight them, or to friend (located on the clouds) to switch characters.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic