Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:04:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralUnanswered questions in the Mario series
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Unanswered questions in the Mario series  (Read 48753 times)
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:45 AM »

Is that a Goomba?

Yep. And the turtles are Koopas.

If you've played Super Mario World on the SNES, you've probably seen that Yoshi comes with shoes and a saddle/skin/shell thing on it's back fresh out of an egg.

That's not birth, though. the story of SMW goes that Bowser trapped Yoshi and his friends inside eggs. Well... don't quote me on that.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »

Kamek is a guy?!  Shocked  Apparently I am not a very good judge of video game character.

In Paper Mario, Bowser's magikoopa second in command was a female instead. You can use that as a baseline.

Most Mario characters are so gender indistinct that the only way to tell the females was to look for pink or a ribbon in their hair.

Except for Birdo. Man, that was a needlessly confusing character.

And then in Mario RPG, they had Valentina, who not only had some obvious assets, but they wiggled in a wholly unnatural way when she took damage. My only explanation was she was padded with live goombas.

-SirNiko
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2010, 07:53:58 AM »

That's not a saddle. Yoshi just have a naturally occuring brown lump in the middle of their backs.

The boots are the thing I can't explain.

-SirNiko

Edit: On closer inspection, it really looks more like a malformed shell than a saddle. Possibly they are distant relatives of the koopa???

The Mushroom Kingdom, like the Galapagos Islands, is a biome with a limited fauna, where turtles have evolved to fill all niches.

So you have Koopas as plains-dwelling grazers, Yoshis as faster omnivorous predators suited for hilly terrain, Spinies in a symbiotic relation with Lakitus, and Bowser as the apex predator.

As for the boots? Modified hooves.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »

That's not birth, though. the story of SMW goes that Bowser trapped Yoshi and his friends inside eggs. Well... don't quote me on that.

That brings up a good point... Yoshi eggs are a pretty strange thing if you think about it. Yoshis can produce them endlessly as long as they have things to eat, and male yoshis appear to produce as many as females. Maybe they're not actually eggs, but egg-shaped excrement?

Speaking of Yoshi genders, though, are there any yoshis that have been referred to specifically as being female? I thought I remembered the yoshi in Super Mario World being referred to as male (though I'm not 100% sure), but I can't think of any unambiguously female yoshi. Maybe they're asexually-reproducing creatures, or hermaphrodites?

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »

I have always thought Yoshi was male (although the laying eggs bit has always been a real puzzler), but I think that is based solely on how "he" looks.  In light of my previous findings though, I wouldn't be surprised if I am completely wrong.  I don't remember Yoshi ever being referred to as male in Super Mario World, and I played it quite a bit.

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:09 PM »

I still can't conceive of "Yoshi" as a species. To me there is a species called the Yoshis, and then there is one specific individual who is called Yoshi, as well. It seems more personal that way. Please no one disabuse me, I would be so sad. Sad

(Yoshi is my favorite in N64 Super Smash, by the way)

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »

Yeah, I think he's "Yoshi of the Yoshis."

Kind of like Mario of the Mario Bros.

The Mushroom Kingdom must have some weird naming convention we don't know about.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »

Well, Bowser is actually called King Koopa.SO everything is named after him. Unless it turns out to just be a title.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2010, 10:45:06 PM »

That brings up a good point... Yoshi eggs are a pretty strange thing if you think about it. Yoshis can produce them endlessly as long as they have things to eat, and male yoshis appear to produce as many as females. Maybe they're not actually eggs, but egg-shaped excrement?
Ah, so maybe the Yoshis have evolved a camouflage mechanism whereby their feces perfectly resembles their eggs. The shit-eggs act as decoys to keep predators away from the real eggs. Perhaps Yoshi's throwing ability is an extension of that: predators associate Yoshi eggs with pain and danger because they are often used as projectiles. This means they will also avoid the real eggs (which could not be used as projectiles without killing the unborn Yoshi inside).

Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »

Ah, so maybe the Yoshis have evolved a camouflage mechanism whereby their feces perfectly resembles their eggs. The shit-eggs act as decoys to keep predators away from the real eggs. Perhaps Yoshi's throwing ability is an extension of that: predators associate Yoshi eggs with pain and danger because they are often used as projectiles. This means they will also avoid the real eggs (which could not be used as projectiles without killing the unborn Yoshi inside).
Sounds like an excellent explanation to me.  The Mario games are starting to make a lot more sense now. XD

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »

All Yoshis are female.

Which is really weird, because Birdo is male

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
inkBot
Level 2

Bumpity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

So now yoshis are reptilian monkeys huh?  Who, Me?

"If there's two ways to interpret something and one is stupid, pick the other way."
Calabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »

This is a great thread, I never knew the mario world made so much sense.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »

All Yoshis are female.
B. S.

Prove it.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »

So the million dollar question is this:

What is behind a shyguy's mask?
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »

Why are green Yoshi's growth accelerated, but the other colored ones take food to grow, unless they eat a star.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »

So the million dollar question is this:

What is behind a shyguy's mask?

Supposedly? Nothing. They're shadowy little bastards.

B. S.

Prove it.

They lay eggs.
Not spitting eggs like Birdo. Lay eggs. Constantly. Also 1280000 beats 887000.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »

Yeah, I think he's "Yoshi of the Yoshis."

Kind of like Mario of the Mario Bros.

More like Toad of the Toads.
Seth
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »

Well Toad of the Toads makes more sense because presumably Toad is some sort of humanoid fungus ergo he reproduces asexually ergo all Toads are copies of some other original Toad.  Perhaps Yoshi is also reproduces asexually as I believe some species of vertebrates are even documented to do so on occasion and so thus the gender question is a moot point and we just revert to "he" when referring to yoshi instead of "it" because "it" refers to something lacking character where Yoshis are indeed strongly personified.
Dexiro
Level 0

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »

There is a lot of question that can be answer easily by seeing that they show us only the interesting and teen ready part. We never really get a peak of their normal life.

Bowsers in on the whole thing!
Between each release they just sit around thinking of a new way for the princess to be stolen, just so they have something to do.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:40:44 PM by Dexiro » Logged

Playtest my game Platform.TV! A cute precision platformer I'm experimenting with ~

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic