Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:47:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignYour first game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Your first game?  (Read 8110 times)
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:06 AM »

My first game was created in Visual Basic 6.0.  It was a side-scroller where you played as a ball (the circle shape control) and your objective was to move down a hallway without getting hit by giant mallets (either the rectangle shape control or the image control, I forget) that are constantly pounding the ground.  There was only one level, and nothing happened when you got to the end of that level.  I think I still have this game on a floppy disk somewhere...

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »

Website for my first games.

Oh my, back in the day.

@doomlaser, mark johns
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »

"Amoeba's Revenge" on the Spectrum +2 (but probably in 48K BASIC). You had to cross the screen without touching randomly-appearing green asterisks. Of course, they could randomly appear on top of you, so it was 99% luck whether you succeeded.

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:12 AM »

Aside from simple stuff like Guess the Number and Rock Paper Scissors programmed in class, my first game was a 4-player Tron remake me and a friend made. Complete with random white dots that appear all over the screen!

After that, we tried our hand at a Pac-Man remake, and learned that AI is much more complicated then we originally thought. Then I turned it into vs. Pac-Man where player 1 controls Pac-Man and player 2 controls the 4 ghosts. It was unfair though since player 2 could just position the 4 ghosts on top of each of the 4 power pills. Cheesy
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »

When I was 6 or 7, I did the standard 'magic number' in QBASIC.. then I went to computer science camp (I KNOW I AM A HUGE NERD) and blindly copied pascal code until a SHMUP appeared on my screen.

The first real game I've ever coded, start to finish, was my Assemblee contest entry (Mushroomer) and it's.. er.. it leaves a lot to be desired  Big Laff

When I was REALLY young, like 4 years old, I pried apart a 5-1/4 inch floppy disk and drew a game concept in pen on the surface of the disk. Needless to say this didn't work, but surprisingly the disk still allowed me to read and write data to it!
FatHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »

When I was in 5th grade, I wrote a QBASIC game with a friend called Bomby that we gave random version numbers to (I think the final version was like 56, we just put a new number at the end of the .bas files randomly)

It was sort of a mix of a text adventure and a quiz game. Like, you had to answer quiz questions, but then the plot progressed in, uh, strange ways. Also, you generally had to be aware of our unique spellings on things, or the game would punish you harshly and force you to restart. It was pretty awesome.

I think we uploaded it to AOL and got like 50 or 60 "beta testers" for our next game.
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »

I made this zombie killing game way back in school.  It wasn't like my first FIRST game but it was the first one that was sorta cool:

http://www.dannobot.com/downloads/TombOfTheUndeadSoldier.exe

It was for the class where they finally taught us some DirectX and the project was "make an asteroids clone".  The definition of the assignment was "the player has a thing that shoots bullets at enemy things."  So this was my "asteroids clone" hahaha

cheers!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:06:01 PM by the_dannobot » Logged

Dannobot on Twitter
Jonathan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »

Back in school we were told that the best way to learn the basics was to program Pong, so that's what I did.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »

My first games were Choose-Your-Own-Adventure games "programmed" in Hyperstudio, this early Apple equivalent to Powerpoint, around 4th or 5th grade. One was about Mickey Mouse trying to take over the world by mind-controlling Godzilla. Another was about an invasion of mutant killer potatoes. The latter actually had an honest-to-goodness adventure game bit where I simultated a Lucasarts-style inventory puzzle using nothing but slide changes. Design was really wonky (chewing wintergreen lifesavers makes sparks. pepper looks like gunpowder. sparks + gunpowder = explosion, right?) and unfair (7 buttons. One correct sequence. Guess a number from 1 to 7 factorial without hints). Good times. They're probably lost forever, unless my elementary school was so underfunded that they're still using decade old computers.

First "programmed" game was some CYOA Calvin and Hobbes fangame about Hamster Huey made in QBasic that has since been lost in both my hard drive and my memory.

I do still have a copy of my first Klik & Play game from the late 90s...

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »

First game I coded was in high school and done in QBasic. It was a choose your own adventure about having to get to school and finish your QBasic project in time for the deadline. Got a pretty great mark on that...

Before that I was really into making my own Heroes Quest dungeons and settings. That's probably what really got me going.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »

My first game was a satirical game about myself. Its name was "Pizza Napule Paisà" (that translates into "pizza Naples fellow citizen"). It was satirical because I am from Naples, and a game about pizzas made by a guy from Naples is nothing short of ridiculous.
Also, the teacher of our course always remembered the fact that I am from Naples, so I gave him a reason to do it.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »

My first games were Choose-Your-Own-Adventure games "programmed" in Hyperstudio, this early Apple equivalent to Powerpoint, around 4th or 5th grade.

OH man, there were *dozens* of those at my grade school. Hypercard was awesome.
Katsew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

I started out making random multiplayer arena shooters using Games Factory, but lost most of them in a hard disk crash.

I do however have the last iteration of the series, last modified 22 May 1999! It was kind of a homage to Final Fantasy Tactics... though with no graphics, sounds or anything from it.

Basically there was a yellow blob (Orlandu) which ran about with a sword you could charge for sword skills, a pink blob (Rafa) which had recharging mana based magic, a blue blob (Mustadio) which had a machine gun / grenades and finally a red blob (Agrias "the mad bomber") with bombs and thermoptic camouflage since I'd just watched Ghost in the Shell Smiley

Although I've got the .gam file, I've lost the Games Factory so I can't do much with it Sad

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 05:33:30 PM »

Made a web-page game in Grade7 as a substitute for a book report on The Outsiders. I got 50/50. :3

That was when I had first discovered Earthbound and was super obsessed, so I took screenshots with the ROM, saved a bunch of scene images, and used paint to peice together ~20 scenes from the book. I think there was 4 or 5 endings... one involved your brother falling off the top of the Twoson nursery while on a roofing job and breaking his legs, I think.

In Grade 8, I discovered RPGMaker and made a game on the industrial revolution, one on the renaissance, and a book report for There Will Be Wolves. None of this has survived the ages. ;(

I got 100% on everything, probably mostly out of originality and :effort:.

RyanT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »

I used the The Games Factory to create some of my first games. I have no clue what exactly is my first game, but the game I'm about to mention must have been at least my second or third.

Wayne Yukaza
It was basically a Metal Gear Solid clone, but was never finished.

http://www.terrortreehouse.com
A collection of science fiction short stories by Ryan Taylor.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 02:04:26 AM »

Oh man. Me & friends starting doing things around the year 2000 when we discovered The Games Factory. We were 9 years old back then. The earliest projects have disappeared into bit heaven (or more likely bit hell), but surprisingly enough some of the early things we put online still exist. I guess I'll even dare to put a link here:

http://www.freewebs.com/mulpha/pelit.htm

The site is in Finnish, but basically every link leads to something. The earliest of those is the No Name (BETA) which was later with very much imagination named to Dark Commando. Basically all the games there include gratuitous mix of Finnish and very bad English. If you decide to actually play it, do note that you have to make use of a TGF platform movement bug that allows you to climb level walls.

The best thing out of those is in my opinion Supa Dupa Rope Man BETA. While extremely buggy (I think the custom movement in it is the first one I ever made, it doesn't use ANY detectors), the game is surprisingly fun. It's quite a shame that the project file with the second level has disappeared completely.
Towerfiend
Level 0

Bleeding for the blood god.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 02:23:39 AM »

I made a game once called Rabid Bouncer.

It was a game where you bounced a ball into a goal, using physics and paddles, to the music of Miserlou.

It was hard...

(no post for you)
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »

My first game involved the main character being turned into a pinball by Burt Reynolds, and forced to navigate several phong shaded levels until they found the Cannonball Run 2 Disc DVD set.

It was made in shockwave and had a horrible havok physics setup. I didn't know what I was doing so all the weights and attributes were screwed up (I think everything weighed at least 4000kg and gravity was set to Jupiter mode because the distances between things were so massive wrt the simulation).

It was pretty cool, I got about 73% in my class for it.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

My first game was probably some sort of crappy TI-83 game.  My first game that I remember was my final project in my high school's computer programming class. It was a topdown scrolling shooter entitled "Snagglepuss: A game of fighting planes".  The music for the main portion of the game was

and then when the boss started to approach this, 

, kicked in. Man, I thought that juxtaposition, along with the nonsensical title, was hilarious back in the day. 
Vulf
Level 0

Co-op Only

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 01:26:51 PM »

I made my first about 4 years ago in GM7 with only the default graphic set. It was called Diamond Collect. You were a ghost and you Collected Diamonds to get to the next level. And shot things with what I think are stars. And I used only the drag and drop functions. And I can't think of a time where I've stopped playing it mid-game.

Then after 2 years and 5 false starts I made Vader Rave. It was an avoidance game where you play (raving) Darth Vader and dodge lasers and UPS trucks on a randomly generated dance floor. Then you flew through the air and fought the head of Richard Simmons, which shot missiles at you. I had plans for difficulty levels (Optimus Prime, Darth Vader, God, Chuck Norris), but that was foregone in favor of just being extremely hard. I still haven't beat it. Crazy

2 years later I entered Assemblee.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic