Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:20:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallZombies are Coming !!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Zombies are Coming !!!  (Read 4108 times)
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:36 PM »

Hello TIGSource,

I'm about to complete the game that I've been working on for the last 10 months - Attack of the Paper Zombies !!!.  It's an RTS where your squad of five stalwart marines fights an alien zombie infestation of hundreds.

The game will be out for PC on Feb 16th and Mac on Feb 23rd.  You'll be able to get it for the princely sum of FREE!  Here's a screenshot for your viewing pleasure, to pass the time until the release:

The game is here!  Grab it at the link below.

I’ve patched the zombie game to version 1.1.  Here are the things that were changed:

• Added manual targeting; right-click a target to attack it and ignore everything else; this applies to marines, turrets and siege guns
  • Added keyboard shortcuts for scrolling and zooming – WSAD, arrows, plus and minus
  • Tooltips are moved if they’re outside of the screen
  • Added graphic to the objectives foldout
  • Limited scrolling to the map
  • Tooltip and tutorial clarifications

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:53:11 PM by Alex Vostrov » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »

oh wow, a zombie RTS? Looks fun, can't wait to play.
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »

I really like what this looks like. Any more detail on how the game is played? I'm eager to hear more.

Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

I really like what this looks like. Any more detail on how the game is played? I'm eager to hear more.

The game emphasises wise resource management and containment of the zombie horde.  Unlike other RTS games, you can't just build up your army by pumping out units.  You are able to upgrade your marines with specialized weapons, but you only have five of them.  In addition you can guard certain parts of the map with automated defenses.  The trick is to plan your defense properly, so that you are able to fight back.

Of course, one thing that I haven't mentioned yet is that zombies mutate, forcing you to adapt your strategy.
TheDustin
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

I came for the zombies, and will patiently wait to see how these RTS ideas pan out. Looks pretty cool.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:52:05 AM »

I came for the zombies, and will patiently wait to see how these RTS ideas pan out. Looks pretty cool.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Clearly, my zombie-oriented marketing campaign is bearing fruit.  Next - Zombie Cola and zombie running shoes.

Game's going to be out around 9pm PST today.  Just have to dot a few i's first.
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »

Game's out.  Grab it and tell me what you think.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »

Great fun!!! I had some issues with the interface, so I've PMed you some feedback, hope it's useful!

Mission 2 is tough Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »

I like the game so far. Few pathfinding issues and I wish there was a way to scroll the camera with wasd..

Really fun so far, just got past level 2.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »

great game!
as soon as i have made a gameplay video it will be on pixelprospector  Beer!

moreover here are a few tips to increase usability:
  • make the text that shows accomplishments (in the upper left) dont disappear automatically...but by clicking
  • bring up a info field after completing a tutorial mission ( 1.go to menu 2.restart tutorial 3.next tutorial)
  • the text that describes the buildings is sometimes not visible. heres a pic
  • it would also be helpful if you could write in the info text that you have to click at a point on the screen where you would like to be teleported to. the first time i thought i had to built two in order to cross the border...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:19:30 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:51:10 AM »

here we go  Smiley
@ PixelProspector

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »

here we go  Smiley
@ PixelProspector

Thanks AuthenticKaizen!  I was so tired yesterday that I didn't bother sending emails to indie blogs, just went to sleep after putting the game up.

I'm listening to people's UI suggestions.  I know I could have done a much better job, but I just ran out of fuel.  I'll see if I can throw some things in between now and the Mac release.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:31:48 PM »

This used to be Swarm, did it not?

Looks like it's evolved a ton, but what happened to OS X support? le sigh Sad
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »

This used to be Swarm, did it not?

Looks like it's evolved a ton, but what happened to OS X support? le sigh Sad

It's not really related to Swarm, except conceptually and via the art style.  I didn't use any code from Swarm.  Look the bright side - the OS X version will be better than the PC one after I patch everything.

Oh, and I just released v1.1.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »

very welcome update! adding keys helped me navigate the map  much faster. Manual targeting also  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

I really enjoy RTS games, there needs to be more in the indie scene.
DWWilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »

Hi I liked this game, its like a less polished version of my game. Oh I said it, go look at it if you don't believe me Wink

Anyway, the problems I found were:

- I could scroll endlessly upwards.
- The tutorials wouldn't let me finish them unless I did exactly as it asked. Like it says "buy a turret" if you buy anything else you have no points and no way of going forward. you just have to restart, but it shouldn't give me the option of getting stuck like that.
- I also had a problem with the building progress circle thing being too hard to read (the blue on blue)
-I also kind of felt that there was only one viable strategy to complete each level (although I only got to level 3) Like the choices in what to buy were more problems than choices if you know what I mean.

BTW, I was just kidding about it being a less polished version of mine, it's a cool game and most likely not full of shit coding like mine.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:39:21 AM by DWWilson » Logged

Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »

Hi I liked this game, its like a less polished version of my game. Oh I said it, go look at it if you don't believe me Wink

Anyway, the problems I found were:

- I could scroll endlessly upwards.
- The tutorials wouldn't let me finish them unless I did exactly as it asked. Like it says "buy a turret" if you buy anything else you have no points and no way of going forward. you just have to restart, but it shouldn't give me the option of getting stuck like that.
- I also had a problem with the building progress circle thing being too hard to read (the blue on blue)
-I also kind of felt that there was only one viable strategy to complete each level (although I only got to level 3) Like the choices in what to buy were more problems than choices if you know what I mean.

BTW, I was just kidding about it being a less polished version of mine, it's a cool game and most likely not full of shit coding like mine.

You should get the latest version - 1.1.  I've made the building circle have more contrast and prevented infinite scrolling.  As for the single strategy comment, try playing random map on advanced and tell me if you still feel that way.

As far as the tutorials go, I feel that I could have done a better job with them.  They're a bit too stiff.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »

Where's the 1.1 download link? All the links seem to point to "http://www.indiebird.com/download.php?f=AotP_Zombies_1_0.zip"

Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »

Where's the 1.1 download link? All the links seem to point to "http://www.indiebird.com/download.php?f=AotP_Zombies_1_0.zip"

All of the versions on the site are 1.1.  I just didn't anticipate that updating the game would break all outside links to it.  Because it was confusing, I just made a second copy and called it 1_1.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 02:38:41 PM »

Ah ok, will download and check it out. I still have to beat the last level Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic