Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:46:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessget back into things?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: get back into things?  (Read 2142 times)
Ajene
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »

I've been taking a break from working on games since my team couldnt finish our last project due to school. Now i'm wondering should I start to get back to working on a serious project or focus on my art and minor programming skills?
i'm 17(will be 18 march 24th) and will be going in the army reserves soon, and am more interested in business of game development, but am strong in art and no so passionate about programming. I've mostly been playing around with game maker and doing sketches, but i'm thinking should I get back into working on a serious project, or hold out until I go to college to learn a bit more.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »

Don't hold out. If you are serious about making games, you've got to start early and work on it diligently. I'd suggest joining a team as the artist. Offer your skills!
Ajene
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »

Yea i'm thinking of doing it, I'm working with http://www.vexstudios.com as a designer, but I'm not so passionate about designing and its only part time volunteer work too. But i'm hoping to do something smaller and fun.
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »

Now i'm wondering should I start to get back to working on a serious project or focus on my art and minor programming skills?
"Or"? That doesn't look contradictory, does it?

Furthermore, kind Sir, let me direct you to the Unpaid Collaborations Forum, or better yet, to the Collab Hook-Up Thread.

Good luck!

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:50:52 AM »

Watching other people hard at work and getting results makes me want to get to that, or back into that, mainly to that, since i'm only starting out, but in any situation, it works for me, find your inspiring person, or persons, or thing, even if its not somebody in game design, maybe itd just be family, or a sports person.

Doesn't sound lame to me, because it helps me get back on my feet, especially after i've been sick for a good while or just hitting brick walls in my mind, on a creative level, it comes to you, you've just gotta find somebody else who wants it, and fully understand why they want it, or at least, why they do it, because they want something, and you would not have posted this thread otherwise. Find what you want, even if its the post-product of game making, and not related to games, maybe you want to find your livelyhood through earning in game design or whatever, help your family, or treat yourself right for life.

I do music because it's what I love, I choose it, it didn't choose me, music would be fine without me, but without music, i'd not be where I am. It's my tool, it's my inspiring weapon to do stuff everyday, and it's what I want to grow old and die doing, I am preparing to make the rest of my life out of music. Even if at times, i am doing it for nothing, hell i've been doing it for nothing this long, I'm ok with that at some points, because sometimes you gotta do a little to receive a lot in the long run, it all adds up. A small project here that earns nothing or isn't how you wanted it to be, could be revamped down  the line, into something bigger, better, with all the great concepts of that design, but a new head on you you really pull what you wanted back then, out of it, and make it something great for you, and whoever you want to make it for, the gaming community i would guess.

Just remember to roll with the punches, it's never always up, but it doesn't have to be down, just find a way to deal with it when you are making your way back up to a positive mindset, by having a positive mindset, you'll never make it back to that point without at least initiating it in the first place in your head.

Summary: Get your smile on, and start making some games again bro.

Ajene
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »

Yea, i'm thinking of starting up the last game we were working on I see some potential in it, I'm thinking of doing everything alone too, so I can learn how to do everything a little better.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:37 PM »

I think that if you enjoy doing it you shouldn't hold back.  Whether or not the project comes to fruition, you'll probably learn a lot in the process and it will give you a good creative outlet.  Sometimes I wish I had started making games when I was younger because I feel as though my brain would have been able to soak up information more quickly, hehe.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic