Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:41:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMaking RPG-style battles fun
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Making RPG-style battles fun  (Read 4727 times)
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »

I would like to see an RPG that completely abolishes normal leveling. Knights Of The Old Republic had a universal exp system which i found nice since i only used 2 of the same other guys. Or have you level/gain experience after a major event or side quest, that way you could have any kind of encounter system you wanted without worrying about how the player will level as much. Or how The World Ends With You where non-major battles were mostly optional.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »

One thing that bugs me in RPGs is having characters grow in a staggered fashion. In FFX, for example, I had to constantly cycle characters into combat to make sure they gained XP and gained levels. I hate that. Actually, I hate swapping heroes in general. I prefered FF4, where I just went with the party I was given, so I could focus on equipping them and picking the right spells for the upcoming fight.

I'm okay with leveling. Typically, gaining levels involves collecting new abilities. Increased repertoires result in easier combat, but you have to think more because you have more options available. It's a simple way of giving the game a learning curve, as every few fights you have one more option to consider. That, or it just works as a soft barrier to progress, as smart players can defeat foes at low levels when average players can punch through at middling levels and have an easier time. Either way seems clever to me.

-SirNiko
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic