Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:05:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFlash?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash?  (Read 3148 times)
UOK Games
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:13:26 AM »

Ok guys I been throwing the idea of making flash games for profit. However, we have little research on the current market for the idea. So I know some of you have made flash games before. So the question is this. Whats the market like currently? From what I see our target is 40 or older for flash. But Im not sure about the younger crowd. What is your thoughts?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »

you really think the average age on newsgrounds and kongregate (etc.) is over 40?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »

Paul, it's Business 101, didn't you know?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:18 AM »

40 or older? Perhaps you are thinking of so-called "social" games, i.e. the stuff that's on Facebook. A lot of those are implemented in Flash, and a lot of the players are older. Newgrounds and Kongregate are websites exclusively for Flash games, and these are not considered "social" games, and are played by younger folks on average.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »

There ouren't a lot of ruls to know
The #1 rule for flash business is:
1- Put a  DONATE button on every page of your game.

Seriously, each page of your game that doesn't feature a donate button is a truck load of mony lost out to the  federal guvment.
Actually many flash games our just a donate button with fancy schmuck added.
And don't forget that you don't need a company, if it's just donation. Most starting game programmers our losing out on lots and lots of money.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »

what our you talking about

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:15:47 PM »

Who our you? don't you negate my word unless you can show of your proven business work beforehand.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3924/wheres_the_cash_for_flash.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4121/generating_cash_for_premium_flash.php
flash is a platform with "internet" as main distribution channel.
UOK Games
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:50:08 PM »

Ok lets get this back on topic. Semi socal games is what we were aiming for on this idea. But thanks
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »

The social games market is a wide variety of people. However, some social game developers are trying to appeal to all of them at once. Of course, this is impossible, but you can kind of abstract these people away as a demographic and run tests to figure out what this demographic likes the most, on average. It sounds like the single most important quality to the Facebook game playing demographic is addictiveness. The second most important quality is cuteness and/or flashiness, but especially cuteness. But there are plenty of people who do not match this stereotype.

Honestly I'd like to see some games on Facebook that are a little more personal rather than treating me as a statistic.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 03:07:55 PM by John Nesky » Logged
UOK Games
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »

Well here is the thing and i think its pure genuis. These facebook game makers etc. Know that most people 40 or older have money. Really if you think about it, its true. At 40 your career is established, you have money in the bank, kids our gone or about to be gone and the internet is new and exciting. Not to mention most older people use mail. Thats mainly what they use end of story.

So they have made games that our addictive for older people. Honestly the games our seriously dumb. But I cant remember the last time I did not get at lest one farmville request on my facebook. So my first target for flash is obviously older generation. For obvious reasons. I have three targets in mind.

1. Older Generation
2. Children
3. Ipod

Number 1 I allready explained. Number 2 because Mom will see some fun educational games we made and think hmm I bet little Jr. will like this game. So we establish a brand with parents and young children at a early age. I mean this is not hard to really think about. Probly common sense for most.

Number 3. Ipod is huge. I would know, I work for Apple. If you dont have a Ipod, you know you want one. I walk out on the call floor everyday and see 200 advisors gaming on there ipod while taking calls. Also apple is big on pirateing. I mean they really work hard fighting it. So selling games to Apple requires some work. Not to mention the games appeal to everyone who owns a Ipod. Because honestly there not alot of good games for it right now.

Now Im be honest on this as well. I use Verizon. So Iphone not a choice for me. But I do buy those retarded games on there all the time. Setting in traffic nothing to do. Hmm Ill just shop the Verizon game store. Five mins later I payed 7.99 for a game Ill probly play once. Now you take that 7.99 and multiply it by thousands. Then take away Verizons cut. You still made a good profit. From a business stand point. Im seeing a huge change recently in gameing. Flash which was once low man on totem pole. Is now the huge money maker.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »

I can't make any sense of what you just wrote... Are you talking about Flash games on the iPod/iPhone?

Laserbrain Studios
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 03:30:07 PM »

I think 40+ peoples our going to think befor they buy instead of buying crap that they our not going to play more than once.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 03:34:18 PM »

Epileptic ...I don't want an ipod.... 

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:47:08 PM »

Awww, now we'll never know what other genius money-making schemes Mr. Holmes had...

Laserbrain Studios
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

I can't make any sense of what you just wrote... Are you talking about Flash games on the iPod/iPhone?

I'm sad that you never got to break the bad news about Flash on the iP[h]o[d/ne].

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic