Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:00:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsPAX East
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: PAX East  (Read 31882 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »

TOMORROW THERE WILL BE MANHUGS

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 06:07:44 AM »

My train pulls into the station in 20 minutes! I'll be at the keynote speech, in a blue hat and trying not to fall asleep.

EDIT

More specifically, looking like this:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:17:44 AM by Peevish » Logged
Eeriepanda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »

I am here lurking in  your kickstarter presentations.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »

It was fun having lunch with everyone today (including the long walk and the angry tree-punching) !

And of course, lurking is appreciated.  Smiley

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »

Yeah, 'twas a good meal! Anyone know where Spy Party and Fez are in the Expo Hall? Neither is labeled on the map. I'ma be all over main floor tomorrow. 4 talks in one day was good times, but all I got to play was Bastion.

But Bastion was pretty cool...

Snapshot tomorrow, and Fez 'n' SpyParty if I can find 'em.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

Snapshot is at the Boston Indie Showcase. Fez is in one of the corners near Capcom's little booth. I had no idea Spy Party was there at all.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

Snapshot is at the Boston Indie Showcase. Fez is in one of the corners near Capcom's little booth. I had no idea Spy Party was there at all.

Likewise.  Also, should we have some kind of more organized hangout / congregation for tomorrow or Sunday?

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »

Boston Indie Showcase: Booth 654
Fez: @ Trapdoor, Booth 1118
SpyParty: @ Firehose, Booth 1133

Anyone got any recommendations for stuff I should check out? I didn't even know Fez was here, so there may be something else I missed.
shig
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »

wish i could be there. anyone played mk9??
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »

@Cellulose: I'd totally be up for a meet, but I don't really have any way to check online while I'm there (stupid english phone), so that makes me being part of anything organised a bit tough.

I'll definitely be outside by the Westin at about 4PM for a Destructoid group photo, but that aside I'll probably be floating around the show floor until some of the talks much later (After-hours show with Kris and Scott!). So if you happen to see me about make sure to stop me in my tracks. Also around at the Jam Space at 11am, most probably.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/163768_10150381701665634_777990633_17036901_2269233_n.jpg - I look like that, only more smug.

That's really open to everyone.

@Peevish: Definitely 'The Behemoth' booth if you haven't yet, because there's a goddamn four-player arcade cabinet of Castle Crashers, and lots of Battleblock Theatre too.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »

@Xander - don't worry, Cellulose doesn't have a phone! Coordination's been near impossible, though I've run into him a good 3 or 4 times. There are over 60,000 people here, how is that possible?

I saw that Castle Crashers cabinet, I'll have to grab them sticks tomorrow. Got hands on SpyParty, Snapshot, and about 1 minute of Fez today! Also chatted with Chris Hecker for a bit, and James & Lisanne from Indie Game The Movie for a while. This feels like that scene in How The Grinch Stole Christmas where his heart grows three sizes...
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »

Only managed a little facetime with anyone. So ridiculously busy. Didn't sit through one panel where I thought 'Well that was bollocks'.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »

If anyone catches this in time, I'm about to head to My Thai, a Thai cafe at 3 Beach St, before I hope the train home. Might get there in the general vicinity of 7ish. By all means come eat with me and my friend.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »

Ah, darn.  I ate dinner (also Thai food) with Woody; shame we didn't see that or we might have joined you.

Also, it's too late to be a meaningful recommendation but Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is pure sex.  (I'm a sucker for environment-heavy games)  Also got to try Fez and Snapshot for the first time, both of which are quite good.

I went to the Game Design Jam and the three-man team I was with in the second round cleaned up with a proposition for a game about an intelligent vine trying to destroy a castle.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

I had a wonderful time all around. It was cool to meet you guys

I didn't really check out the expo floor that much, though I did get to play Snapshot, Fez, and Battleblock Theatre. I did get to chat a little with Kyle Pulver (who is super nice), but unfortunately saw neither Fish nor anyone I recognized from Behemoth. Actually Fez is the only thing I thought to take a picture of with my phone

I liked a lot of the talks and panels I went to, especially the one on game theory and mechanism design, the music guest panel, the start your own damn company one, and several others I am too sleep-deprived to remember presently.

The concert I went to was pretty awesome, as well. Following the most intense game of Jenga I've ever seen, the video game orchestra played, then Paul and Storm were really hilarious, and Jonathan Coulton was upstaged by water.

I also stopped by at one of the 8bit showcase jam session things and saw Disasterpiece and Glomag perform live, which was pretty cool.

I definitely will need to start going to more conventions like this
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:56:05 PM by Andy Wolff » Logged

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:15 AM »

PAX East was incredible.  I've been an exhibitor at E3 and GDC and now PAX, and PAX by far has been the best conference for me.  The crowd walking around are just people that fucking love video games, and the energy feels so positive and INTENSE.  Also Peevish I didn't even realize I was talking to you until just now when I checked the thread.

SO A BIG THANKS AND <3 to everyone that stopped by to play Snapshot, and a bigger thanks to all the PAX East organizers for putting on such a rad show.  The exhibitors even had a special event in the expo hall after it closed the first day which is the first time I've experienced such special treatment for exhibitors, so that was pretty awesome.

SEE YOU GUYS NEXT TIME.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 10:28:31 AM »

@xerus Yeah, I didn't quite know how to work into conversation that I'm This Guy From The Internet. Still, it was grand to meet you as This Guy In A Blue Hat instead.

I had a blast. Took a ton of notes, spent good time with fellow indies and my Bostonian friends. Too bad a jam didn't happen, but I was probably too wiped at the end of each day to do one. Got to talk to y'all, plus James & Lisanne, Chris Hecker, and I fist-bumped Phil Fish (dude's got some serious mutton chops going).

Every panel I saw was great. Interactive Drama: Dialogue As Game Design as well as the Keynote Speech are sticking in my mind the most.

Big freakin' motivational weekend. I've been toying with the idea of moving to Boston in the next few months, this may have sealed the deal. I'm at least going take the train into town for the next Boston Post-Mortem.

It was great spending time with everyone!
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

Also, realized too late the dude who looked like Tim Schafer probably was Tim Schafer.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »

Kudos to Xerus for having an abundance of comfortable chairs.  Expos make me tired.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:05 AM »

Kudos to Xerus for having an abundance of comfortable chairs.  Expos make me tired.

One of our chairs did win the Best Chair Award.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic