Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411586 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:45:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNanosmiles - microbe arena shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nanosmiles - microbe arena shooter  (Read 3507 times)
yarhalla
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »

Hi!
I made an arena shooter using boid theory.
http://engrishgames.blogspot.com/2008/02/nanosmiles.html

Controls
Z - Open Lock-on area
X - Dash
Cursor to move

English translation by Siiseli@tigIRC

http://engrishgames.blogspot.com/2008/02/nanosmiles.html

#########
Dong
http://homepage1.nifty.com/cheap/untitled/
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Really liked the intro. The game was slow and jerky for me, though, and I don't know if the mechanics were exciting enough for me, but I was only on the first level (after the tutorial). Creative death animation.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »

I really like the pikman like commander style. I like how you limit the player to the commander role, the only thing I would ask for is a larger variety of friendly units. Also I beat it, so yeah.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »

I haven't beat it yet, but I certainly love the concept.  Something is very entertaining about leading other things to shoot for you, even though you are not completely in control.  If you included a larger variety of units, you could allow the player to strategically choose which ones are in his team, and which ones aren't.  Of course, then you would have to limit the number of members of the team.

The intro is very, very well-done, and the menu is neat as well (I like the pulsating cells in the background).  In the game, everything seemed to fit well except the blocky walls.  I think something more fluid and organic would fit better.

Excellent game!

~ Theta Games

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:58:27 AM »

The game mechanic is new and interesting. I enjoyed the indirect control over the turrets, which becomes second nature after a while.Having beaten the game, I can say it certainly has depth in control.
What I didn't use much is the X button. If you create a vast level with few enemies, you can use the X-dash to perform Levy walks and Brownian walks, another mechanic that hasn't been explored and fits right in your project.
yarhalla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »

Thanks for playing and giving me feedbacks!

Adding / choosing units is good idea to deepen strategies.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »

Sorry for necroposting, but I was recommended this game and have to say it really is excellent. It has a fresh and compelling core mechanic that makes me feel it's worth my time, and the music is very nice.

The difficulty curve is ridiculous though. For the first 15 levels it seemed to ramp up quite smoothly, and I was able to beat every level within a couple of tries. Now I'm at level 16 (which I guess is the last one), and it's just patently absurd. I must have banged my head against it for over an hour now, and I still can't beat it. I've played it for long enough to see that it is possible, but every time I get close to finishing it, some rogue bullet that I just didn't see coming because there's so much going on on the screen at once hits me and I have to restart. I was so close to smashing my keyboard just now.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »

Wow, thanks for bumping this!

It's really amazing. I'm at 12 and having a pretty hard time... It's unforgiving but the interface is so instantaneous and responsive that restarting doesn't feel like that much of a punishment. Kinda like Flywrench.

JustinGameDesign
Level 1

Sprite artist and indie game dev.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 10:36:18 PM »

I got stuck inside the large chunk of wall in the upper right of level four (I think).  Otherwise I liked the mechanic, although it's very very easy to die.  I agree that different kinds of ally ships would add some much needed variety.

Also, great work on the opening animation!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »

Holy crap!  This is great!  Love the weird menus, the intro, the gameplay, the leafy death effects, the difficulty curve... everything!

I guess you could make the first few allies get automatically picked up.  That's about all I would change!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic