Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 05:29:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSettlement
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Settlement  (Read 1350 times)
ilmenit
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:17:29 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but you might have seen my game "Xenocide", that was once reviewed on the TIGSource http://tigsource.com/2007/09/29/xenocide.
My new game will be published soon, but before that, I'd like to know if you like the idea of the "Settlement". This is the game I plan to extend next with gfx, sounds and maybe real-time action.

The "Settlement" is a roguelike strategy game similar to the old DOS game "Horde".
http://www.alamak0ta.republika.pl/settlement.html
You build your settlement while defending it from waves of monsters.
The goal is to survive 30 days on each map.

The 1.4 alpha version has proof-of-concept network code that allows to play against a different player (to hire monsters to attack opponent).

Any comments are welcome Smiley
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:56:26 AM »

(been a lot of this lately)

Hey mate, you really should go introduce yourself and while you're at it read the rules.

Welcome to the community, remember we like you a lot more when you're not just advertising stuff.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
ilmenit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:19 AM »

Thanks, done Smiley
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »

Sounds like an excellent concept, but the instructions could be clearer, for example, I'm still not entirely sure what the towers do.

When I started I managed to fence myself in for protection, but then found:
a) I couldn't get out any more
b) I couldn't remove the fence
c) The monsters still got in and ate my green stuff

Something else I found after playing for longer, is that a red o (an ogre I presume) ate my only worker, and I then had no income, so could not buy another worker, is there a way around this?

Otherwise, quite fun, and as I said, I love the concept and am looking forward to seeing this move ahead.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »

ASCII, yum

ilmenit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »

When I started I managed to fence myself in for protection, but then found:
a) I couldn't get out any more
b) I couldn't remove the fence
c) The monsters still got in and ate my green stuff

Fence protects agains orcs (o) and kobolds (k), but rats (r) are able to climb over it.
To build anything you need resources - money ($) and wood (=). The amount of resources needed is listed on the right side of the screen.

- In towers your guards, archers and mages recover hit points.
- In houses your workers and lumberjacks recover hit points and hide during the night.

Something else I found after playing for longer, is that a red o (an ogre I presume) ate my only worker, and I then had no income, so could not buy another worker, is there a way around this?

You should not allow this to happen. Rent more guards and archer to help you fighting monsters.

Thanks for your comments.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »

After having played a few more time I realise how the fencing works, still, being unable to remove it is a bit annoying given I was still trapped that time.
And yeah, the towers thing is clear now, but their function wasn't obvious at the start.
Good game anyways Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic