Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411957 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 12:47:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBetter historical settings for games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Better historical settings for games  (Read 10047 times)
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »

I'd like to see a couple of games set in the African Campaign of World War 2, although I know that WWII is severely overrepresented in a lot of ways. But it's always the US vs Germany, and rarely any of the other campaigns. It's really unfortunate.

I don't see where you're coming from here. I haven't noticed any shortage of ww2 games with North African scenarios (I admit I haven't seen anything in East Africa (apart from Hearts of Iron)), or not about US vs Germany, over the last decade.

I'm not a hardcore wargamer and I'm not at all into shooters, so maybe I've missed a couple? Or all of them? Maybe that's something I'd really like to see, now that I think on it: Games about the World Wars that aren't large-scale strategy games or shooting games. But that's not really a "historial setting"...
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 04:41:55 PM »

I'm not a hardcore wargamer and I'm not at all into shooters, so maybe I've missed a couple? Or all of them?

To suggest some of my own, rather old now, favourites:

Medium scale strategy - Conquest of the Aegean : http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=44198 (this is a Greek scenario, but there are North African ones)

Small scale strategy - Combat Mission:Afrika Corps : http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmak/cmak.html (unfortunately I think you need to jump through some hoops to get it to work with recent windows OSs)

Tactical FPS - Hidden and Dangerous 2 : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_hiddenanddangerous2_pc (a Czech game about the British SAS; the last mission is defending a bunker in Czechoslovakia from the Russians)

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

Mactan, Philippines in 1521.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »

Mactan, Philippines in 1521.

There was an RPG set in some kind of fantasy 16th century Philippines: Anito.

Eiffer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »

There are a lot of periods that I would love to see explored in a genre other than strategy war-sims. Colonial America (or Canada) as an RPG could be cool, especially really early colonial days, where there was still a lot of exploring and trail blazing going on.

I've also seen India mentioned, which I would also like to see. Even modern India could be really interesting.
Eiffer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

Also, a game set in a non-European medieval period would be interesting, especially if it was a fantasy game. After all, how many games can be set in a pseudo English swords and chivalry setting already with orcs and deep forests and giant spiders? Sure, everybody loves Lord of the Rings, but is that all fantasy games are ever going to be? Irritating...

For sure. Give me a fantasy RPG set in ancient Japan or India. Greco-Roman stuff has been done, but not to death and would be cool too.
Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »

Also, a game set in a non-European medieval period would be interesting, especially if it was a fantasy game. After all, how many games can be set in a pseudo English swords and chivalry setting already with orcs and deep forests and giant spiders? Sure, everybody loves Lord of the Rings, but is that all fantasy games are ever going to be? Irritating...

For sure. Give me a fantasy RPG set in ancient Japan or India. Greco-Roman stuff has been done, but not to death and would be cool too.

Okami was a wonderful experience in no small part because the mythology was completely novel for most Americans.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »

I think a game about Inuits or another seal-fishing, raft-rowing northern tribe, would be cool.

Heh, your friendly neighborhood Eskimo should have you covered. I found a book on traditional Inupiaq stories; some of them would be interesting in game form. I'm tempted to make a couple of the fables and tie the moral into the game mechanics.

Aesop's Fables: The game would be awesome as well.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic