Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:15:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 74061 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2010, 02:52:27 AM »

I used the hint system twice so far... one of the times was because I didn't see the suction cup thingy it was on the ceiling... come on!

And the other time was when I was looking for the third key (I didn't know you could turn pages in the book that you find!)

I got impatient a lot... but not on the 'real' puzzles (the ones that popped up onto your screen). As PGGB said, they're fairly intuitive. What frustrated me was looking for hidden little doodads in the scenery. I must have sat in the clock area for fifteen minutes before finding the little piece of metal you use as a crank shaft But I see that's it's not really the sort of game you want to beat as fast as possible or rush through. Just sitting there and taking in the atmosphere is nice.

And I don't intend on using an faq for Braid. Whenever my first thought in solving a given puzzle is "ridiculous acrobatics required", 9 times out of 10, the solution is in reality face-palmingly simple. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:23:10 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2010, 03:19:11 AM »

I only had two puzzles I had serious trouble with...

1. The bird when he eats the piece of the sliding puzzle...that took me HOURS, i tried everything there, running back and forth, trying to run to the cat quickly while he was on the wire, etc. I noticed he follows you and mimics you, but breaking the wire never crossed my mind. Technically I didn't solve it, i got pissed off and slammed myself up and down in frustration trying to reach him...which was evidently the solution.

2. The music puzzle at the end. I SUCK at music puzzles, I never could do the sliders for the rocket in MYST either, it's not that I don't know the notes, it's that I'm terrible at matching the sounds, I must have run inside and outside a few dozen times trying to remember the notes, took at least an hour.  I just can't remember sounds, never really could.

Aside from that, some others were difficult, but fairly straightforward (like the puzzle sliding the chains of balls around)

It really reminded me of "the neverhood" in a lot of ways, something about it's style.

My only complaints about the entire game were that the installer relies on non-standard fonts, which I didn't have, so I had to just guess which buttons to push, the fact that the mouse doesn't always behave (it would have been nice to just click on something to use it, and not need to stretch before even getting the "clickable item" icon as well),  and the awful, AWFUL controls in the shooter game thingy near the end.

-Fuzzy Spider
ink.inc
« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »

I only had two puzzles I had serious trouble with...

1. The bird when he eats the piece of the sliding puzzle...that took me HOURS, i tried everything there, running back and forth, trying to run to the cat quickly while he was on the wire, etc. I noticed he follows you and mimics you, but breaking the wire never crossed my mind. Technically I didn't solve it, i got pissed off and slammed myself up and down in frustration trying to reach him...which was evidently the solution.

I got this within the first minute... but purely by accident. Smiley
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »

Braid is pretty good.... at making me feel like a dumbass. Are you supposed to be able to get all the puzzle pieces at once? Or do you get access to more powers later?
You can get each puzzle piece right when you first see it, though you can also backtrack if you couldn't get one.
Actually, there's one or two puzzles in the first world (World Two) that you can't get when you first see them. The ones which require you to use the platform drawn on the puzzle pieces. Every single other one doesn't require anything from another screen or world.

slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:02 AM »

I loved the bird in Machinarium! I just thought it was supposed to be cute that he followed you around and mimicked you. I laughed pretty hard when I figured out that it was actually part of the puzzle. Clever.

Osmos does get a little better in the later levels, but I still wasn't really blown away. Though it was one of those game where I kept playing it long after I got extremely frustrated with it. I guess that means something. :p

My favorite of the bunch is still Revenge of the Titans. I'm really digging the gameplay and the sounds and visuals are perfect.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:56 AM »

and the awful, AWFUL controls in the shooter game thingy near the end.
Those clickable buttons are merely an alternative to the arrow keys and spacebar, actually. That would probably have made things easier for you.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:43 AM »

Braid is pretty good.... at making me feel like a dumbass. Are you supposed to be able to get all the puzzle pieces at once? Or do you get access to more powers later?

You can get all the puzzle pieces the first time you reach a world, but you don't have to. You can go back to any part of any stage at any time, and can skip I believe the vast majority of puzzles in the game to unlock another stage.

None of the powers you 'get' on new stages can be used on previous ones. All unique powers are tied to their respective stages and puzzles. The only one you can carry around is the time rewind that you start with.

So, who here that just got it has found all stars yet?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:02:39 AM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2010, 10:51:21 AM »

actually there are some exceptions to that in braid melly -- certain puzzle pieces can't be gained until you get others, particularly those near the puzzle object itself (since, semi-spoiler, the placement of the puzzle pieces themselves in that puzzle box affects some puzzles)

but you're right that you can get all the puzzle pieces in a *world* before going to the next world

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

and the awful, AWFUL controls in the shooter game thingy near the end.
Those clickable buttons are merely an alternative to the arrow keys and spacebar, actually. That would probably have made things easier for you.
not the arcade, the one where you plug into the guy's head and have to run around shooting the red guys, where you constantly run in the direction of the mouse cursor and fire on click.

-Fuzzy Spider
Bandages
« Reply #469 on: December 21, 2010, 01:06:37 PM »

So, who here that just got it has found all stars yet?

If we're talking about beating Braid, I managed to do it in about three days of play (thank you winter break).

It definately helped me think in new ways about puzzles, and I really loved that every single one was unique.
Zaphos
« Reply #470 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »

The stars are special hidden puzzles in Braid, iirc you don't need any of them to beat the game.
Bandages
« Reply #471 on: December 21, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »

ooOOOOOH, then I haven't seen a single star yet!

now I have to figure out how to find them  Huh?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #472 on: December 21, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »

they're fucking impossible to find/obtain. dont bother.
Bandages
« Reply #473 on: December 21, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »

Well considering I played through the whole game without realizing they exist, I'm inclined to agree they are extremely well hidden.

But that would be two games from the bundle I give up on before 100% completion, and that's lame. (I stopped playing Osmos when I got to the level where you're orbitting that sun thing and there are only like 5 other bubbles. so fucking bullshit. it wasn't fun. it wasn't a puzzle. it was just tedious and impossible.)
PaleFox
« Reply #474 on: December 21, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »

I know, I know, no spoilers, but to alleviate sadness on your part -- you can't get all the stars if you've already beaten the game, because one is made unavailable in the process. So if you wanna find em, start over Sad
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 21, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »

That constellation looked MIGHTY important to be honest

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2010, 01:19:50 AM »

i don't consider getting all the stars a criteria for 100% completion of braid: it's complete when you solved all the main puzzles. that'd be like considering beating the second quest of super mario bros. (where all the goombas became bullet bills) or zelda 1 (where all the dungeons are different and much harder) necessary for 100% completion of those games.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »

Uh... Yes it is. "100% completion" usually means completing everything, including optional challenges.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the term in its current usage was popularized by the GTA series, where there's a stats screen showing you a percentage of how much of the game's content you have beaten/unlocked. Might be older though, I dunno.
 Wizard Durr...? 
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »

If you have bought the Humble Indie Bundle #2, then the original bundle has now been added to your games list and new customers can get the Humble Bundle #1 bonus by helping push up the average.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:00 AM »

Oh wow, if there's one thing I love having crammed down my throat, it's free games.   Kiss

It's great finally having Aquaria on Mac again. I bought the Ambrosia version a year or so ago and when I tried to re-download it the after a hard drive crash I had this summer, I found out they had deleted my account for whatever reason.
 Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic