Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:34:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Crate Box
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Super Crate Box  (Read 36280 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2010, 04:25:31 AM »

that's pretty damned good. Smiley she should press d and try out SFMT difficulty
also how hot is she, I'm thinking about doing a nude picture promotion movie

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »

She went to 132 yesterday, but It's all on the easiest difficulty, maybe I'll convince her to switch to the harder ones.
And she's pretty damn hot, but I highly doubt that she'd be ok if I disclosed my picture collection Wink

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »

Not gonna lie, i suck at this game. I can't get past 8 crates hahaha.

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:39 AM »

Looks like the interface needs some work. For example, pressing enter on the statistics screen takes me right to the level select screen, presumably because the enter key press registers on the main menu as well as the statistics screen. And I could never figure out how to get past the game over screen. Never mind, I'm supposed to press R, aren't I? That's not very intuitive.
torahhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »

This is great, it's shaping up really well. The mechanics are mucho elegant, KEEP GOING

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »

Looks like the interface needs some work. For example, pressing enter on the statistics screen takes me right to the level select screen, presumably because the enter key press registers on the main menu as well as the statistics screen. And I could never figure out how to get past the game over screen. Never mind, I'm supposed to press R, aren't I? That's not very intuitive.

I agree, it's all a massive mess. Smiley thanks for noticing.

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »

I played this at BIGJam and absolutely loved it!

After realizing you made the 4h rpg, you're starting to become one of my favorite game designers. :D

I feel like the disc launcher thing is actually slightly TOO suicidal at the moment, though.. I get a crate by accident when trying to kill people with a good gun, then get decapitated. Sure, it's always my own fault, but it feels kinda sudden.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2010, 02:09:48 AM »

If you're good, the disc gun is very useful and not at all hard to avoid killing yourself with.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »

The Weapon variety was really super dope lol, everyone of them def had it's own cool functionality so it didn't matter which one was in my hand I was always having a good time man (except for the pistol of course). I would say all it need is a story mode, the dude def needs a purpose, I don't need to truly state the obvious but if it is arcade inspired def work on making it difficult for the player, making every weapon availbilty scarce and the enemies different. Of course I know you get this, I dig the arcade style of it i wouldn't recommend turning it into another platformer  Yawn ..it can stand out as something we would invest quarters into dude. Good shit man.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left word

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »

If you're good, the disc gun is very useful and not at all hard to avoid killing yourself with.

Well, it also is the only reason to ever pause and think after getting a crate, and it's rare. So I end up taking chances, and getting myself decapitated.
I think it would be more fun if I got kinda screwed when making that mistake, but that there at least were a small theoretical chance that I could use my (potentially) mad jumping skills to get out alive.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2010, 02:39:16 AM »

I played this at BIGJam and absolutely loved it!

After realizing you made the 4h rpg, you're starting to become one of my favorite game designers. :D

I feel like the disc launcher thing is actually slightly TOO suicidal at the moment, though.. I get a crate by accident when trying to kill people with a good gun, then get decapitated. Sure, it's always my own fault, but it feels kinda sudden.

wow, thanks! I will put this quote on my resumé.

The Weapon variety was really super dope lol, everyone of them def had it's own cool functionality so it didn't matter which one was in my hand I was always having a good time man (except for the pistol of course). I would say all it need is a story mode, the dude def needs a purpose, I don't need to truly state the obvious but if it is arcade inspired def work on making it difficult for the player, making every weapon availbilty scarce and the enemies different. Of course I know you get this, I dig the arcade style of it i wouldn't recommend turning it into another platformer  Yawn ..it can stand out as something we would invest quarters into dude. Good shit man.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left word

Thanks! I was thinking of making a hidden feature in the final version that shows you how much quarters it would have cost if you would have paid one for every match. Smiley

About that disc gun:

You pretty much found out why I put it in: to make you think before you fire a weapon you pick up. The small chance of suicide makes it always a little bit stressfull to use.
As you might have noticed there are a lot of hard-to-use weapons, adding to the amount of stuff to master (which makes you enjoy the game longer because there is always something to learn).
However, most of these hard weapons will be unlocked by achieving certain things. I won't throw you into the game having to use complicated hard-to-use stuff, so do not worry about it being too hard (since you'll be an allright player when handed the discgun).

If you can not appreciate the disc gun yet, I'd suggest you try SFMT difficulty,  in which you might kill over 10 enemies with one disc. Smiley Makes it very satisfying.

I'm just making sure that every time you die, you know why you died, and it gives you something to learn for the next match.

Notch
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2010, 03:34:22 AM »

Fair enough. And I love the melee weapons :D
torahhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »

I've been keeping this on my desktop, and have been playin' it A LOT.
1. More feedback on the player death would be nice, a sound or visual.
2. I think the blue symmetrical level could use a little more head room over the pit at the bottom
good stuff

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »

I can't download it completely. It only downloads about 2MB of it (with Chrome and Firefox, anyway). Sad

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2010, 06:44:48 PM »

I played a bit...

I disliked the graphics, they are sort of programmer-ish... And the colours are strange, and the contrast is even worse (like, green enemies on level with green bg... you can only see the enemies because of the outline)

Now the gameplay is REALLY cool, I only wish some levels don't had annoying level design (like the one with a "altar" in the bottom middle, that is really hard to climb to the platforms...), and that the boxes were less random, it is utterly annoying to get a C4, then a laser, and then a nade-launcher, when you are facing only flying enemies... Or getting bazooka in a cramped level...

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »

I disliked the graphics, they are sort of programmer-ish...

You obviously haven't played many of jwaap's games my good man.

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »

I do, I have 10800 zombies here that I still play sometimes...

But for some reason this one still resemble programmer art (maybe is the box-shaped enemies, and all bullets looking the same).

Although I know that I would never do that flames of the flamethrower Tongue I have no idea of how to do them.

But I guess that it is intentional, as soon as I fired up the game I realized that the 10800 zombies was by jwaap Tongue

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »

thanks!

this game is really a prototype for the gameplay, we are sort of working on a XNA version, with a proper artist. Smiley I never spent a lot of time on thse, it's really about the gameplay. I'm sorry about the colors, I've also noticed that for colorblind people it is hard to see the difference between objects because the size is so similar. This will all be fixed in the final version.

about the levels: there are only 2 good ones, I should've removed the tests from the demo. The normal green level gives the best and most basic gameplay.

about the weapons: a lot of the weapons are harder to use, to add more stuff to master later on, eventually the gameplay really smooths out when you've learned what to do.
to fix this problem for beginning players however I'm planning unlocks, you simply won't start with the hard weapons, playing well will reward you with them, letting you learn to use everything slowly.

thanks again for the good feedback!

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:59 PM »

this game is really a prototype for the gameplay, we are sort of working on a XNA version, with a proper artist. Smiley

to fix this problem for beginning players however I'm planning unlocks, you simply won't start with the hard weapons, playing well will reward you with them, letting you learn to use everything slowly.

I am seriously drooling here

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »

Cooool... Do want (if you make a PC version... I don't own a console)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic