Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:34:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe big list of all your games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The big list of all your games  (Read 2992 times)
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:48:04 PM »

So I currently have 28 games listed on my website.

At the moment they're listed chronologically within categories, but the categories I've currently got are overlapping and generally not very helpful. I've decided I need a better categorisation/ordering system so I thought I'd see what other people do.

Grouping by completeness I'm realising is probably not going to work: how much I like and want to highlight a game doesn't always have a lot to do with how complete it is. Plus there's the "I want to do more with this but realistically I may never" problem (applies to everything in the "incomplete" section of my games list).

My friend is arguing that I should only have something like 9-10 games shown by default. I much prefer showing everything including the terrible failures, but think that the current ordering I have definitely needs to be rethought.

Also I don't have a blog that I post new games to, so my list of games should probably also function as somewhere you can go to easily see what I've done recently. But I suspect this is a separate issue, since really I ought to just start blogging new games.

So, open questions for discussion:

* Does your games page list everything you've worked on, or just the highlights?

* What do you use to determine the ordering? Level of completion, entertainment value, strength of concept, or something else?

* How much information do you think should be given for each game? How much does this depend on the size of the list?

* What do you think of my list of games? What would you change?

increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »

cactus's list is a bit sprawling - he gives 'hotness' ratings to his games

I don't have a games list as such.  I've thought about assembling one, but I've never really figured out what sort of order I'd give such a thing.

I'd add more games : )
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

I have my games in two categories:  Small and medium sized.  I don't list all my games, as there are some I made a long time ago, and some flash games that weren't very good.  I do have a list of some of the older/less finished games I worked on, but they're a bit of an afterthought, and I tend not to add unfinished games to that page anymore.  I'll probably make more categories when the need arises.  Within there categories, the games are listed in chronological order.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »

This is how i catalog 'em. Just posted with most recent at the top. Should be releasing a new guy very soon, probably early june! Smiley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeiowu/collections/72157616390247015/

Blindsight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:31 AM »

* How much information do you think should be given for each game? How much does this depend on the size of the list?

The title, genre and a brief synopsis of the game should be sufficient. Perhaps motivation behind it's creation if you feel like it. Adding technical details are important if you are using the site as a portfolio so anyone looking at it can know what technologies you are using at a glance.

I'd first highlight your current project. Below that, the games that you have released that you are the most proud of. A link to "Other completed" and "Other WIP or incomplete projects" is great.

I think the main problem with your site is not that you have too many games but that each game takes up so much real estate. You could EASILY fit all of that information into a smaller list. I'm almost ashamed to post a link to my sight here because I haven't put it together yet so it's not "ready" but, as a crude, example, here it is anyway.

I could fit many many more projects on there without an issue. Changing your website style might be the way to go. Maybe you can work something out with Hinchy! Smiley

Chaos: It's the only system that works EVERY time.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:35:12 AM »

Include everything you can, just make sure to categorize everything, ex: current projects, hot projects, finished games, non-finished gamesz, old crap, etc...
Don't just put everything in one giant web page.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:45:09 PM »

Updated: new version | old version

Still got some CSS kinks to work out but overall I think it's an improvement. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I didn't realise until I resized them just how unnecessarily large my thumbnails were (were 160x160, now 120x120). I had been thinking that larger = clearer = better but now I'm not so sure.

The other thing I did was get rid of the date/theme/language information to give me more space to fit the games into two columns: not yet decided whether I want that information back or not.

increpare
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:51:31 PM »

I'm not feeling it.  (That's not too critical.  Excuse me.  I was perfectly okay with the larger thumbnails - the make the games on a one-by-one basis more interesting.  The new layout does make your volume more apparent.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:55:30 PM by increpare » Logged
Blindsight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 07:00:51 PM »

Quite an improvement I'd say. It's clean, and not as abrasive on the eyes and it looks organized. I still think the contrast is a bit high and that helps it look a little cluttered and busy. I like the format of your notable projects on your about me page though.

I like a bit more streamlined look, but meh, that's just my style.

Chaos: It's the only system that works EVERY time.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »

My list:

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic