Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:33:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGROM CHECK FAIL (source code released)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: ROM CHECK FAIL (source code released)  (Read 107458 times)
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:39 AM »

The installer is for noobs who can't understand zip files. There are more of them than you think  Shocked

I don't need to hit the system registry, but I ended up storing the highscore there just for fun. If you want to hax your highscore that's the place to do it.

Oh, I was referring to the registry keys written by the installer. Maybe it's just me but I prefer to contain applications when possible, with installers you have to go via the OS if you want to move or remove them and it becomes more cumbersome to just download and try something ... If all the VGNG entries had installers, I probably wouldn't bother with half of them. I can see your point about people needing installers, but it would be cool if you offered a zip as well.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2008, 05:13:23 AM »

A fine point.

I'll work on getting the linux version out first though  Grin
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »

This is the best entry I've played yet. Except for my own, of course. I wound up playing this for two hours, and it was a blast! You've got one of my votes for sure.

PS: I beat the game, with around 4700 points.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »

Totally rad.  Grin I love the way certain characters can't do anything in certain situations and just have to wait it out. The one thing I don't like is the space invaders character, who is at best useless and at worst will result in an unavoidable double life loss...

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »

Absolutely brilliant.  Even Jon Perry thinks so.  Yes, THE Jon Perry.

Between this and Polychromatic Funk Monkey, Farbs, you may be one of the cleverest people I know! Kiss
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »

Embarrassed
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2008, 08:39:33 AM »

Great game! I can't say nothing that wasn't already said, except that I did find a bug where I got stuck outside of the level, to the right.

(I don't know if someone already told you this, but I can't read the 10 pages of praise  Grin)

Movius
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »

greatest game.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »

Craziness.

I was randomly browsing Kotaku when I came upon this after not having been to the forums for awhile (damn responsibilities) and noticed that it was from farbs.org

I was like...hmm I know that url lol...

anyways great stuff farbs Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2008, 07:32:08 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - one nice addition might be a fullscreen option, or at least a 2x screen option.  Or both.  The window's a bit tiny.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »

!!!Alt-Enter toggles fullscreen!!!

I didn't mention this in-game 'cos it'd be out of place on an arcade machine, but I realized a minute ago that I should put it on the title bar. Will adjust accordingly.
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2008, 04:01:05 AM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1402

I like the title Smiley

Petri Purho
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »

Still can't get beyond 6thou Sad I dread to think of the speed of a third consecutive playthrough

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

I beat the 3rd runthrough for the first time last night and yeah, it gets stupid fast. By that I really do mean that it gets stupid quickly, and it gets so fast it's stupid. At those speeds my collision code eats a flaming ball of poo. I really should've run multiple updates rather than just scaling the time delta.  Shocked
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 28, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »

This Game Is Awesomest!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

~bs~
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »

I beat the 3rd runthrough for the first time last night and yeah, it gets stupid fast. By that I really do mean that it gets stupid quickly, and it gets so fast it's stupid. At those speeds my collision code eats a flaming ball of poo. I really should've run multiple updates rather than just scaling the time delta.  Shocked
It starts to get shakey on the second run , tbh..

Corpus
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »

From the article gummikana linked:
... it’s still interesting in terms of its basic mechanisms. Finding yourself playing as Zelda (so being able to trudge in all directions and lash out with your sword nearby) ...
Facepalm.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2008, 05:44:33 PM »

From the article gummikana linked:
... it’s still interesting in terms of its basic mechanisms. Finding yourself playing as Zelda (so being able to trudge in all directions and lash out with your sword nearby) ...
Facepalm.

tenth
Level 0

Keepin' it real(ly bad)

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

I had started to consider some "ROM corruption as gameplay" elements during the B-Movie Game competition, as part of pitching my project as a (fake) emulation of an obscure unreleased console game... But that was more in terms of explaining why it was so short and looked so crappy (i.e. "(Scene Missing)") and occasionally as a difficulty thing; making the UI hard to read, certain "glitched" monsters causing you to become glitched (unable to attack, controls inverted) for a while when they hit you, and so on.

In practice, though, Rom Check Fail is a much more fun and creative use of corrupted memory, and a sort of living history of retro gameplay mechanics on top of that... and the ending sequence was truly heartwarming.  Kiss

(Not to mention that it has a very reasonable scope for a month long contest, such that you were able to finish it with a pretty impressive level of polish. While I am still very slowly trying to finish something from two competitions ago. And not just because I suck at implementing games, though that is a factor. Sad )

Anyway, you definitely have one of my votes!

And it's giving me some interesting ideas for a Rom Check Fail style RPG... Crappy starter equipment might be stuff like the 8 x 5 pixel arrow/sword from Adventure, the bow/headgear from Venture, or even roguelike punctuations marks, and give way to less blocky and more colorful items as the game progresses. And then you could do glitches as enemies, glitches as debuffs, glitches as environmental hazards, glitches as summon spells... There's a lot of potential for nostalgic weirdness there.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2008, 10:19:17 AM »

To reiterate what everyone has already said: this game is terrific.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic