Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:44:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorialsrecording computer games for YouTube with Camtasia
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: recording computer games for YouTube with Camtasia  (Read 15322 times)
ortoslon
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »

WARNING: this tutorial hasn't been updated since June 18, 2011 because I have switched to Extensoft Screen Capturer. I wrote a new tutorial.

EDIT: this advice applies mostly to recording games without fancy graphics. For greatly hardware-accelerated 3D games, you will probably be better off with Fraps (tutorial at Speed Demos Archive).

Over more than a year of recording indie computer games for YouTube, I've accumulated some technical experience and I want to share it with you. This is not a tutorial for editing trailers, but a guide to recording smooth footage that looks crisp on YouTube.

I'm using Camtasia Studio 7 (expensive but there's a free 30-day trial) for recording and light editing and VirtualDub (free) for some video filters that Camtasia doesn't have. My OS is Windows XP SP3, some recommendations might not apply to Vista and 7 users.

First, start Camtasia Recorder and set the recording options (> Tools > Options).

These options will produce .avi clips at 30 frames per second, with lossless video and uncompressed sound. Most of these options you'll only need to set once but be aware that other software can change video codec configuration (e.g. from Faster to Better).
Camtasia might interrupt your recording if the intermediate clip reaches 4 GB so you might want to adjust the quality slider or set realtime audio encoding to MP3 to save some space. Or just pause, save and start recording another segment at convenient moments.

Before you start recording, decide if you want to record the mouse cursor (> Effects > Cursor). Adjust the audio slider so that at loudest moments (explosions etc.) the audio bar becomes yellow, not green or red. If you're recording a Flash game, right-click it and set the quality to Low to turn off anti-aliasing (this might make some games look ugly though).

Select the portion of the screen you want to record, click the big button or press F9, play. Click the square or press F10 to stop recording and save the clip.

If the recording isn't smooth enough, try lowering color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit (that makes some games glitch though). Consider lowering framerate (25 fps is fine, 20 fps might be tolerable depending on the game). As a last resort, don't record sound. You could also reboot into "bare mode" to free up memory and CPU, here's how: run "msconfig" (run the command through the Start menu or by pressing Win+R).

Turn off all non-basic services and autoloading applications except those that you'll need (you'll need the Windows Audio service to play and record audio and Plug and Play service if you're using a USB gamepad or mouse). Press OK, reboot, try recording again.
Edit the clip with your software of choice (you can use Camtasia itself for light edits).

Now, to get the best YouTube quality, your video must should be at least 480x480 (EDIT: YouTube is contastly raising their video quality). To ensure that, upscale and/or letterbox the clip with VirtualDub. You'll need to apply a scaling filter:

"Nearest neighbour" scaling turns pixels into chunky pixels.

Now save using the lossless codec again.

Set compression, then > File > Save as AVI... If the resulting file is too large to upload to YouTube, you'll have to transcode it to some lossy format before uploading (Camtasia can do that too).

Follow-up by Daiz on preprocessing and compressing videos
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:23:56 AM by ortoslon » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »

Awesome :D

Also thank you for helping me out with this sort of thing earlier.
Happy video-making!

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »

I'm not sure if you would know this, but are there any particular features which make Camtasia a better choice then freeware, like say, CamStudio?

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 08:51:21 AM »

i haven't had chance to evaluate camstudio because it crashed every time i tried to record sound so i don't know if/how camtasia is better (except that it doesn't crash). i tried fraps too but it slowed down most games i tried to record
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:55:17 AM »

I have used both.

Although many expensive pieces of software are rivaled by pre-existing free software, I have not come across anything free that matches Camtasia's combination of:

1. Good codecs (especially lossless) that don't royally screw everything up
2. Video editing (you might not need this but it does it really really well)
3. Audio handling (you can change the volume at different points and it records different audio tracks for computer audio + mic audio)

CamStudio is okay but I couldn't find a lossless codec for it that worked on my system for a while and then even when I did I couldn't find an editing program that would allow me to easily deal with clip editing and stuff.

Codecs are scary bastards and it's nice to not have to deal with their troubles when using Camtasia :p
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:37:48 AM by Droqen » Logged

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 09:08:17 AM »

OK, thanks.
And great tutorial, I'll definitely try it out.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

nice work ortoslon Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:54:45 AM »

...CamStudio is okay but I couldn't find a lossless codec for it that worked on my system for a while and then even when I did I couldn't find an editing program that would allow me to easily deal with clip editing and stuff.

Codecs are scary bastards and it's nice to not have to deal with their troubles when using Camtasia :p

try the techsmith screen capture codec.
the codec is free and works with camstudio.  Smiley
http://www.techsmith.com/codecs.asp

for editing i recommend avidemux.
free and basic editing.
http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »

Oh! That's a very good point. And I should have it already since I'm using Camtasia.

[ Still - its video editing is pretty top-notch :x seems like all the free video editing stuff I found had awfully complicated methods of doing something that should be very simple. Plus the audio integration... obviously not required for everything but it really helped me making a trailer :D ]

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »

Good job.

Oddly enough I was going to write a small guide up with all the little hints I've picked up when recording indie games. I don't use commercial tools, aside from Fraps on occasion. Not sure when I'll get around to it, if ever though.

Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »

Some tips from me: AviSynth is a good tool for pre-processing stuff (it's a good idea to get AvsP as well for nicer working environment for AviSynth). x264 is good for compressing stuff before uploading to YouTube (because uploading lossless video takes forever).

For YouTube videos that aren't HD, a good idea is to blur the video if it has tons of stuff going on. For example, you can take a look at these two versions of the same video (uploaded by yours truly):

As you can see, the latter video looks a lot better, because the blurring made it easier for YouTube's shitty encoder to handle.

A extremely quick crash-course into using Avisynth:

1. Install AviSynth
2. Create a new file called [anything].avs into the same folder as your source video
3. Open this .avs file in AvsP (you can associate .avs files with AvsP in the program options). In this .avs file, write this:
Code:
AviSource("myrecording.avi")
4. To blur it, you need to do the following:
Code:
Blur(1.0)
5. You can also do the resizing part with AviSynth by doing something like this:
Code:
Spline36Resize(960,720)
Blur(1.0)
6. You can preview your video with AvsP and it's recommended to do that. I recommend using Spline36Resize for high-quality resizing. Though if you're recording a pixelart game and want to double the pixels, the easiest way would be to use PointResize(last.width*2,last.height*2) - PointResize is nearest neigbour resizing. If you want to add borders (though I wouldn't recommend that), you can use the AddBorders function.
7. AviSynth has tons of functionality - this is merely a very small scratch into what you can do with it. You could do full-fledged video editing with it if you wanted (in fact, I have edited a trailer together with it), but it's best for image processing, really.

Now to get something out of your AviSynth files, you could drag & drop your .avs into VirtualDub and encode it with it, but I would recommend using x264 for converting your video. If you decide to go this route (I really recommend it, since you're guaranteed to get the best quality out of it), you should also get neroaacenc (or some vorbis encoder if you're familiar with them but I tend to use neroaacenc myself) and mkvtoolnix (EDIT: Make sure you don't get version 4.2.0, as it is somewhat broken, get 4.1.1 instead). Oh, and the AviSynth SoundOut plugin.

I very much recommend putting the x264 and neroaacenc executables into a PATH folder (google this if you don't know what it means). Otherwise put them into the folder with your other work files.

Anyway, how to handle things:

1. First, you need to export the audio from your AviSynth script to an external WAV file for neroaacenc. To do this, simply add this line to the end of your .avs:
Code:
SoundOut("WAV","myaudio.wav")
Then refresh the preview in AvsP and SoundOut should do its magic. Afterwards you can comment the line out with a #.
2. Now for the actual encoding - open up a command prompt (cli.exe) and navigate to the folder your files reside in.
3. The actual video encoding part is actually very simple, input the following:
Code:
x264 --preset slow --tune animation --crf 22 -o output.mkv myfile.avs
If you want to change encoding speed, change the preset (veryslow, slower, slow, medium, fast, veryfast, ultrafast). Note that this results in a bigger file.
If you want to change the quality, change the CRF (constant quality) value. I'd say 20-23 is good for most game recordings at 640x480@30fps. The lower the number the better the quality (and the bigger the filesize)
4. After the video is done encoding, encode the audio with the following:
Code:
neroaacenc -q 0.5 -if myaudio.wav -of output.mp4
The -q is the quality option, which goes from 0.0 to 1.0. You can also use constant bitrate mode if you want, in which case you would use -bitrate 128000 for 128kbps audio. There's also a -2pass parameter available in this mode.
5. Now that you've encoded your media, all that is left is to mux it. Open mkvmerge GUI (mmg.exe) from mkvtoolnix. Drag & drop your encoded video & audio file into mkvmerge, write an output file name, and press Mux. You should end up with a nice mkv file with both the video and audio in it. Now your file is ready to be uploaded to YouTube (or any other site you feel like uploading to)

That's about it!

Also, a few words about FRAPS: It's also a very good recording program for anything GPU-accelerated. Using it usually results in a lot better recording quality than what you can get with Camtasia. FRAPS captures uncompressed RGB24 video and PCM audio, so the recordings are pretty huge. It automatically splits the recording at every 4GB. To handle the multiple input files in AviSynth, all you need to do is something like this for the input part:
Code:
a=AviSource("frapsfile1.avi")
b=AviSource("frapsfile2.avi")
c=AviSource("frapsfile3.avi")
a++b++c
After that you can deal with the recording like it was a single file.

Also, if you're recording at higher than 30 FPS with FRAPS, it's a good idea to decimate the video beforehand to 30FPS max because YouTube will do that otherwise. To decimate a 60fps video to 30fps, simply add the following line after your input lines:
Code:
SelectOdd()
This selects every odd frame from the video, effectively halving the fps. You could also use SelectEven() if you feel like it.

That's all for now! Hope this is of help to someone.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:56:10 PM by Daiz » Logged
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »

I've been using CamStudio for the past few months, and I find it suits my needs pretty well, all with pretty much no set-up required.  Camtasia seems to be more of a hassle with not much pay-off.

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

Sorry to necro the post, but I had useful info for it Smiley

I had severe issues to record my game, mostly, the art style is made mostly of 1 pixel thin lines, that disappeared on "normal" codecs...

But lossless codecs or slowed down the computer, or the disk could not keep up with the amount of data to be written.

My final solution was:
Grab VirtualDub.
Grab CamStudio Lossless Codec (not CamStudio recording software)
Grab a RamDrive driver, mine is from lyh728 and gavotte

The CamStudio lossless codec, could achieve a impressive compression for my game (it is like a .png, the less colours you have, the higher compression it achieve, since my screen is mostly lines and empty space...), without eating CPU like hell... The Ramdrive, I set-up to 1GB, this was sufficient to record a single level of the game (except longer ones).

So, my process was: ask VDUB to record using CamStudio lossless, writing on the ramdrive.
When the "disk" space is over, pause the game, stop the video, copy the video to the real hard disk, clean the ramdrive, repeat...

The results are REALLY good...

iffi
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 04:51:53 PM »

So, my process was: ask VDUB to record using CamStudio lossless, writing on the ramdrive.
When the "disk" space is over, pause the game, stop the video, copy the video to the real hard disk, clean the ramdrive, repeat...
That sounds like an interesting method, but I can't figure out for my life how to use VirtualDub to capture video. I don't know if I'm just bad at this or if VirtualDub really is confusing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:32:53 PM by iffi » Logged
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

I haven't used Camstudio or Camtasia yet but I might give them a shot because my video recorder doesn't look good on YouTube.

namre
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

You are awesome. This would save me time from tinkering with the options. Again, tanks.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:40 AM »

If you need to just record for youtube you could give livestream broadcaster a try. There's a option to save files to your own computer and not broadcast (delete recording when you end recording).
The good thing about this is that it compresses the video automatically to h264 AAC so you can just toss it into youtube directly and it'll work like a charm. Also there's no audio delay problems what so ever.

- here's an example. The video quality is a bit shitty but that's due to my computer not being fast enough to compress the video while recording so it ends up being ~500kbps
ortoslon
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »

The good thing about this is that it compresses the video automatically to h264 AAC so you can just toss it into youtube directly and it'll work like a charm.

are you sure that youtube won't recompress it after you upload it? what are your sources? an official help article recommends to pre-compress as little as possible http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=132460
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:29 PM »

The good thing about this is that it compresses the video automatically to h264 AAC so you can just toss it into youtube directly and it'll work like a charm.

are you sure that youtube won't recompress it after you upload it? what are your sources? an official help article recommends to pre-compress as little as possible http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=132460

YouTube (newest) recommended settings are:
H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format
640x480 (SD) or 1280x720 (HD) for 4:3 & 16:9 aspect ratios.
Frame rate should be the same as original video
Sampling rate: 44.1KHz for MP3/AAC audio

Haven't noticed any problems with uploading to youtube myself.
ortoslon
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:33 AM »

I have switched to Extensoft Screen Capturer and wrote a new tutorial.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic