Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:50:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGViking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Viking Bazooka Bloodbath - *Complete*  (Read 52958 times)
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »

So far the most fun game of the VGNGC IMO.
Im sorry to say though, vikings didnt have bazookas.

Some of my records:
37 s Lightning mode first level
521 kills invincible mode first level

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:24:07 PM by Kinten » Logged

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »

Althought the game is based on simple mechanics, it is incredible fun! I love the game modes and especialy various types of shots, which allows player to develop many different strategies...Also the idea of unlockable levels grants certain amount of replayability. Great work!
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 04:58:25 PM »

I've been playing this game since the first version was uploaded and I just can't stop. I finally reached 100% game completion but I still want more stars and I definitely want to break the 1000 kills barrier Kiss

These are my first level scores for the four modes:
Survival - 408 kills
Coin - 54 coins
Lightning - 28 seconds
Thor - 1003 kills  Shocked

Congratulations for delivering such an awesome game!

UPDATE: YES! 1003 kills !!!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:55:38 PM by CodingMantis » Logged
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »

wooot

921!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:46:34 PM by Kinten » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »

Survival - 408 kills
Coin - 54 coins
Lightning - 28 seconds
Those are very impressive scores in Lightning and Thor mode. How did you manage 1003 kills in such a short period of time?

By the way, it's great to see all these positive responses. Hopefully that well translate into plenty of votes.  Smiley

Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »

Survival - 408 kills
Coin - 54 coins
Lightning - 28 seconds
Those are very impressive scores in Lightning and Thor mode. How did you manage 1003 kills in such a short period of time?

By the way, it's great to see all these positive responses. Hopefully that well translate into plenty of votes.  Smiley

It is all thanks to a complex strategy I developed specifically for the lightning mode. I prepared a screenshot showing the details of the strategy. Be aware that it may spoil the fun of reaching the 1000 kills barrier by your own merits.

The image is available (SPOILER) here (SPOILER).

Currently I have 40 stars and I'll certainly need new strategies to get the remaining ones.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »

Yeah I have discovered the same "strategy".
Anyway it doesn't change the fact that this is a great little game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »

I've noticed that too, and have tried it as well.  It isn't foolproof, though.  If you don't kill everything, they can clump up later, and if there is a big enough crowd around you, pressing <X> isn't going to cut it.  I've gotten pretty far doing that above strategy, but one little foul-up and you're dead.

I mostly like to keep on my toes, and constantly move around.

I certainly hope this wins!   Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »

Thor mode is pretty much designed to be broken, so I'm not too worried about that strategy cheapening the game. You'll still want to move around for the other modes.

BroodKiller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2008, 01:14:27 AM »

I wanted to join the crowd celebrating the release of this little gem, it's a very cool game, so kudos to you, man!
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »

I didn't read the above posts well enough; CodingMantis' strategy was for Thor mode.  I originally thought it was a strategy for Survival and Lightning modes.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »

I'm taking over the internets!

Now I just need to look up what 'juddery' means...

tenth
Level 0

Keepin' it real(ly bad)

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »

Please let some knight bodies stack up.
Fun as that sounds, they would probably just get in the way and make it difficult to see the still-living enemies.

Re: Body Stacking: It took me a while, but I finally found what this was reminding me of: Nemesis The Warlock, a very obscure C64 game that also centered around a simple room with platforms, and slaughtering the tons of guys who dropped into it.

Nemesis did have body stacking, and it was actually sort of a game mechanic; you could walk horizontally "past" bodies on your level, jump upwards past them, and stand on them, like platforms. Later levels required you to not only "Kill X Guys" but also make a pile or staircase of corpses tall enough for you to climb out of the arena! It's not the kind of feature you see too often, and so I think a special knight-corpse-stacking mode might be fun addition for VBB someday. Grin

VBB is pretty awesome as is, though. It feels fairly polished already, in a retro kind of way: The controls are nice and responsive, and for me, personally, mowing down dozens of tiny knights with a lazer and beating the survivors to death with the stock of my bazooka is satisfying regardless of knockback or ragdoll physics. And giving us different objectives and metrics for our slaughtering is just icing on the... murder... cake? Kiss
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »

survival: 905
coins: 60
lightning: 23
thor: 799
Man, I always find some different strategy which works even better than the previous  Cool. VBB FTW!
BTW is there any blood in the game? (except the title i mean... :D)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2008, 12:34:17 PM »

survival: 905
coins: 60
lightning: 23
thor: 799
Man, I always find some different strategy which works even better than the previous  Cool. VBB FTW!
BTW is there any blood in the game? (except the title i mean... :D)
23 was my top score for Lightning Mode as well.

Also, I got 1895 kills on the first Survival Mode.  I had to let myself die; there were just so many corpses and spawned enemies that the game was really lagging.   Smiley

The third Coin Mode is by far the hardest.  It is the only one in which I do not have four stars.   Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »

Re: Body Stacking: It took me a while, but I finally found what this was reminding me of: Nemesis The Warlock, a very obscure C64 game that also centered around a simple room with platforms, and slaughtering the tons of guys who dropped into it.
Never heard of that game before. But a body stacking mode would be fun to add some day in the future.

The controls are nice and responsive, and for me, personally, mowing down dozens of tiny knights with a lazer and beating the survivors to death with the stock of my bazooka is satisfying regardless of knockback or ragdoll physics. And giving us different objectives and metrics for our slaughtering is just icing on the... murder... cake? Kiss
I couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW is there any blood in the game? (except the title i mean...)
I tried adding some at one point. I didn't like how it turned out at all, so I scrapped it.

Everyone seems to be posting scores from the first arena (the one without archers). Do you think the game is more fun without archers, or do you just have more impressive scores from the earlier rounds?

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2008, 02:29:13 AM »

Everyone seems to be posting scores from the first arena (the one without archers). Do you think the game is more fun without archers, or do you just have more impressive scores from the earlier rounds?

I think the archers are better for the gameplay, because they force you to move. In the first arena, it's possible to gain huge kills just because the knights are not so dangerous and the map can be exploited more easily (and huge kills is the reason behind the posts).

My suggestion is that you should add some enemy with slow shot dealing massive-area splash-damage (something like catapult or bomb-thrower), so that player must move more often Smiley
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »

I think the archers are an integral part of the game, and, as lukipuk said, the game would benefit from a third character.  Think of the symmetry:  The second zone introduces a new character, so shouldn't the third zone do the same?  I don't think a bomb thrower would fit, though.  Only the Viking gets to use real weapons.   Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »

I was planning on making priests who attack with beams of holy light, similar to your laser, but much slower. Unfortunately, I ran out of time. If only I didn't have to go on that silly vacation...  Sad

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

Priests would be really cool, but you would have to give the player a lot of warning before they fire their shots.  Also, if you introduce them to the third arena, you would probably have to make the actual arena easier.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic