Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 10:35:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZero Gear - a multiplayer kart racing game
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Zero Gear - a multiplayer kart racing game  (Read 115175 times)
oliv
Level 0

money makin' disco breakin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »

Bumping with content is chill. And you're so industrious people would forgive you even if you had no content to add.

... I'm not a mod.

Sooo I've been watching this thread a long time, I'm really excited for the game.  Joined your steam group for the beta and stuff.  The only thing I'm worried about is the camera, it doesn't feel smooth- in the videos it looks as though its in a permanent position behind the kart.

Great work!

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2008, 10:44:55 PM »

Nonsense, this is a development thread, and you're updating it with news and cool stuff.

Anyway, I like what I see, as always from this thread  Beer!
Murphy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 18, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »

The only thing I'm worried about is the camera, it doesn't feel smooth- in the videos it looks as though its in a permanent position behind the kart.

Funny you should mention that. We spent a lot of time yesterday fine tuning it. The camera now points in the karts velocity rather than the karts forward vector. We also added a few other subtle effects for when you gain speed.

It will be showcased in the next video.

BTW, I am the programmer on this project and this is the emoticon that best describes me lately:  Tired
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:50:17 AM by Murphy » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 18, 2008, 10:04:31 AM »

How do you make the maps, anyway?

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »

right now it is a cludgy combination of exporting the art from *insert popular 3d package here* and then defining all the gameplay bits via a XML file.

increpare
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »

Why aren't there more shadows on this track?
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »

well right now I can't do really detailed shadows since it is vertex lit, if I experimented with doing some texture shadows in there I could be more fancy  Gentleman

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:38 PM »

The primary function or intended purpose of the L.U.V. Bot is still a little hazy. However it is known to run lustfully at any moving object and latch on in a merciless hug, until it's emotion chip shorts, resulting in a massive L.U.V.-splosion.

Zaphos
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2008, 06:53:54 PM »

Nice concept!  Much love for the luv bot  Kiss
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:25:52 AM by Zaphos » Logged
ChevyRay
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:49 AM »

That is an awesome concept. Though it doesn't look friendly enough, I think it could go for some happier, more "HUG ME FOREVER" eyes...

like this -->   ^ ^
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

a massive L.U.V.-splosion.

:D

Looking way too good to be healthy. I'm cheering hard!  Beer!

jango0821
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

Looks like it's worthy for the wii, really. I really am looking forward to this. Beer!
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »

MUSIC!!! music is the one area where me and Brian have absolutely NO experience with. We both LIKE music generally, but as for trying to find something specific that feels like Zero Gear, we are really spinning our tires.

So I ask ye, kind peoples of the TIGSaucery  Gentleman - if you were picking the soundtrack for this game (general theme music), what would your first thought be?

We want something with a lot of personality, something unique, fun and non-serious. We have thought maybe that 8bit/chiptune type stuff layered with real instruments might be cool.

Anyway, any suggestions? I know there are many musical peoples here.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: October 02, 2008, 12:27:11 AM »

I don't think that chiptunes are a good idea. There's nothing that makes me think of the old school in your game. Maybe it's just something that needs to be experienced to figure out its brilliance, though.

The only thing I have to beg of you: Don't go the Mario Kart post-64 route. You know what I mean--exclusively bouncy but bland songs. Try to create actual atmosphere, something appropriate and unique for each race track. Music is a big part of the aesthetic quality of a level in a game, so making every music track feel samey is terrible.

ChevyRay
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2008, 04:15:28 AM »

If it were layered with real instruments, though, you might have something really unique and sweet. Would have to hear a sample first, though Smiley
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:48 AM »

I am not even thinking of per-track music at this point, just a general theme song that can be played in a video or at the main menu.

I have been looking through royalty-free music sites all yesterday, and these were two that popped out at me.

This is more professional, more what I would expect from a mario-kart type game
Bongoland - http://www.productiontrax.com/trackpage.php?id=18329

This one is a chiptune that has some originality and personality, but admittedly does not immediately conjure up images of our game in my mind. It has an ice cream truck quality.
http://www.productiontrax.com/trackpage.php?id=52789

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »

I don't know, the first has an over-produced, radio-airwaves sound, but it made me think that a good funk song could be good as a theme for this game.

The chiptune track is too stereotypical folk Japanesey, but I like the comparatively mellow atmosphere, rather than the ultra peppy stuff that's common in kart racers.

marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

well, on the music front - we were contacted by / contacted a few composers who give out hefty indie discounts, so hopefully one of them will have a better grasp of what we want than ourselves.

Sat. night I know, but less that a month left until IGF sumbissions are due!!! AHHHHH!!!! just capped a video showing another one of our items we recently implemented - the fearsome TWISTER!!! Click to watch

so far our quest to create entirely physical-based weapons/items has been very fruitful, and leads to some very emergent gameplay Smiley

increpare
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2008, 08:40:18 PM »

so far our quest to create entirely physical-based weapons/items
I approve heartily Smiley

Also: man that twister looks annoying (in a fun way).  (Reminds me of the ones from populous 2).
marshmonkey
Level 2

this is personal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2008, 08:42:24 PM »

if you gun it, you can go through it without too much of a disaster - as long as you don't go right through the middle. You only get sucked up to the top if you sit right in the middle.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic