Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:50:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Mirrors XP
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Mirrors XP  (Read 11870 times)
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 07:08:29 AM »

what if this stage was mainly the taskbar, three windows, and a courser would come in and move the windows around sometimes making them just barely low enough to jump on (probably to be discussed with the possibility of flying limbs)

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »

what if this stage was mainly the taskbar, three windows, and a courser would come in and move the windows around sometimes making them just barely low enough to jump on (probably to be discussed with the possibility of flying limbs)
that was my firts idea of the stage. the cursor will close "mirrors", toss players away or just mess arround.
Mirrors XP != Windows XP  Roll Eyes
that was intentional. i choosed a winxp parody because most of the indie games run on that O.S.
no. i was initially against the idea for that reason. maybe it could become a tigsource level?
tigforum is supposed to appear on the indie explorer, so other indie webs.
to be fair, if frikman is willing to do as much of the work he can on it, there is no reason we can't have it.
Not necessarily. It needs music as well as graphics- and they both need to be up to the quality of the rest of the game. And depending on how involved the stage gets, it could also require a fair amount of programming and balancing.
i'll do my best with the graphics, dunno about the music (i recently downloaded FL studio but i don't know how to use it yet)
A stage of this sort could be useful for showing off sites and developer tools. I dislike the fact that the applications shown are all imaginary. What is Mirrors XP anyways?
i was trying to be original ^^. real aplications can be showed on the deskpot icons (like game maker or multimedia fusion)
Also, you might want to try to fit IB's resolution better. 512x384 will fit without scaling or scrolling. 640x480 is also a good size.
K'.

please, you need to wait until i manage to finish this on the weekend guys. instead of being lazy like i always do i tried to do something by myself, something original. i'm sure this will make a good and fun level to play in Sad

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

Actually... a parody of a linux OS might make more sence.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

This is my reserved: one (1) spam post
Apoz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »

I'm not a big fan of this stage either. I'm all for having a stage that shows different accepts of the indie gaming community (and minor indie games who couldn't be in a stage for some reasons), but I don't think a XP-themed stage would be the best way to make it. I think a Game Maker stage would be better.

Also, Frikman, where did you get the idea that we thought you were lazy ? Grin You're just proposing ideas like all of us, there's nothing wrong with that.
rollman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »

I find the idea interresting. You can have the CPU trying to drag-and-drop the players in the recycle bin, sudden bugs, and other traps like that.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »

I don't like this at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows is not Indie. This is "INDIE Brawl" not "Mostly Indie with a Dash of Mainstream Brawl."

I think a Game Maker stage would be better.

As much as it is Indie, I must disagree. It's only recognizable to the developers who use it. People who just play Indie games will be confused.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »

KLIK & PLAY STAGE

Or just a "generic" game making program

the players fight while a horrible trainwreck is being created in the background

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »

There are tons of great games we could get levels from.

Having a generic game making program is like having the fake Quote.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »

Also, Frikman, where did you get the idea that we thought you were lazy ? Grin You're just proposing ideas like all of us, there's nothing wrong with that.
wow thanks, I appreciate that Smiley
I don't like this at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows is not Indie. This is "INDIE Brawl" not "Mostly Indie with a Dash of Mainstream Brawl."
Actually... a parody of a linux OS might make more sence.
you're right, Windows is not indie, but most of the indie games run on windows so that's why i did a parody of windows instead of a Mac or a Linux one. i'm not sure but i think linux is indier than windows, so, a Linux parody will be better? if you agree with this then i have no choise :/
As much as it is Indie, I must disagree. It's only recognizable to the developers who use it. People who just play Indie games will be confused.
what you sayin'? GM is the most popular tool for creating indie games. people who know anything about GM must be shooted in the nuts. this is an indie project created with GM for god sake.
KLIK & PLAY STAGE
Or just a "generic" game making program
the players fight while a horrible trainwreck is being created in the background
why does this sound even lamer than my stage? the point of Mirrors XP is that the mouse will be messing arround.
There are tons of great games we could get levels from.
Having a generic game making program is like having the fake Quote.
agree but this is supposed to be an universal stage that even people who doesn't know GM or most of the indie games that are being featured on this game will recognize. maybe it breaks a bit the spirit of the game but please trust me, it'll be cool.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 01:20:27 PM »

UPDATE

what's been changed? the IE now has part of the TIGForum, the BP was smoothed and the hall stage was resized. i'll draw the new background tomorrow so please be patient  Shrug

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »

I'm still not completely opposed to this idea, but it needs to address the points raised in this thread, and it needs better graphics, if it's to have any chance of inclusion.

MaloEspada
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

I just want to say: there are many indie-related sites, sites about indie, sites that cover indie stuff. Tigsource is not the only place. This stage kinda feels like a tribute to tigsource or something, when other sites should be displayed too. What about the indie games blog? Or the GMC community? Etc.

TBH, time should be spent making the things that deserve most priority (characters, stages that are unfinished). I remember the policy that one should only make a thread when the other stuff are already finished.

Oh well.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »

I remember the policy that one should only make a thread when the other stuff are already finished.
Screamy oh god i didn't knew that.
I just want to say: there are many indie-related sites, sites about indie, sites that cover indie stuff. Tigsource is not the only place. This stage kinda feels like a tribute to tigsource or something, when other sites should be displayed too. What about the indie games blog? Or the GMC community? Etc.
is somebody listening to me? i said the IE is supposed to show various indie webs some posts ago (check the 2nd page of the thread if you don't believe me).
I'm still not completely opposed to this idea, but it needs to address the points raised in this thread, and it needs better graphics, if it's to have any chance of inclusion.
oh boy! i tough they were good Sad . I guess once i finish drawing the background (wich will be very pixeleated btw) i'll do something to make it look better, but i need some tips of how do you want the stage to be (as you can see i suck at graphics  Big Laff).

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

If I may suggest something:

How about some sort of browser rather than a full-on desktop, that changes layout and hazards depending on -- stay with me, here -- the indie website currently in the address bar.

We could choose three or four or however many sites to pool together a few layout ideas, hazards, and quote-unquote memes to be used in their part of the stage, and have the tab for a given site flash before the stage changes locales.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 06:26:42 PM »

sounds good. that'll make things easier for everyone. the only thing is that Indie Explorer will need to be bigger and so the forum. but it doesn't really matter cuz all the webs will need to be bigger anyway ^^

Apoz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 05:02:10 AM »

I think it should better be a desktop, for the sole reason that it would allows us to put programs like Game Maker, Adobe Flash, etc...

Also, about the Windows/Linux debate, the best solution would probably be to not choose an existing operating system, and rather make our own (or just put a wallpaper with no icons and no taskbars and just windows appearing from time to time)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:57:30 AM by Apoz » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 05:23:40 AM »

I think this sort of level has a lot of exploitable potential. I can already imagine random BSODs popping at random screwing everything on stage. The mouse following and pushing players around. or even a window where code is being compiled and support characters popping out of it at random. But again, and not wanting to beat a dead horse, the connection it has with the indie subject is very fringe.

Even tough I'm still curious what may come out of this thing, as of now, pasting a browser window with indie sites looping on it still doesn't make it an indie thing. The stage is still about Windows, and Windows is certainly not indie.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »

so you all guys think that this stage must be an imaginary O.S., right? well, any ideas of how should it look? i don't want to start drawing something wrong -.-

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 08:38:19 AM »

No, I think what everyone is saying that operative systems aren't indie games. The idea isn't bad, but it's a little too farfetched. Plus, the workforce it would require would be better off doing something else.

Don't get me wrong here frikman, you've done a great job, and I do like the graphics you're going for, but I don't think everyone can agree on this idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic