Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411961 Posts in 69436 Topics- by 58480 Members - Latest Member: MichaelM

June 13, 2024, 10:25:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAtmosphere in Two Dimensions
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Atmosphere in Two Dimensions  (Read 6861 times)
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »

I think it is definitely possible..yes.   I'll say that it comes down to pacing. An example could be getting the player to anticipate something for a while in order to scare them, leading up to something, through visual storytelling, a sense of unknown in area's of the level, sounds, feel of controls...  
Then allow that anticipation to dissipate from the Player's mind.  Have the Player see an item to go pick up easily, or do a navigation that is simple but requires attention. Maybe try a repetition in the level's design which causes the Player to lull into a feeling of safety and auto-pilot, cater to the player's expectations so their guard comes down...

And as the Player has just picked up the item and is about to continue on...as the Player has just landed on the platform and is about to make the easy jump to the next, the Player has let their guard down, and you reveal in full whatever it was that had been raising their anticipating earlier, the Player freaks out Smiley   Now all that anticipation and tension is burned off, so you will have to restart the cycle, you may even need some sections with release of tension in mind after the scary parts happen.

Limbo is a good example of atmosphere in two dimensions...obviously.
Another indie game I played which was tense and scary in some ways is Xeno Arena, it is top down 2d with a fog of war, and the enemies move very fast out of the shadows...

*edit*
I'll add that it isn't about making the Player think that they are there, that's not going to happen, don't assume 3d can also.  It is more about playing with their expectations of what will happen on-screen when they interact with the controller.   Another thought is that 2d  games have the immediate advantage of the sense of unknown created by a scrolling view, there is less to show, and when you're trying to nail a certain atmosphere, it always helps to only have to show the things necessary (to do so)... also working in 2d with a plane of space allows usage of fundamental design concepts that can effectively lead the Player's eye and ultimately their thought process as they take in information.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:50:48 PM by XRA » Logged

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »

While not 'horror', I remember Maniac Mansion on the NES creeped me out good. Bunch of kids at a mansion in the middle of nowhere. Crazy scientist...etc.

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »

I agree with XRA, I also read this:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/level_design_tutorials/horror-fear-level-design/part2-survival-horror-level-design-anticipation-pacing.php

A good read indeed since I do 3D as well as 2D games. And I also have did it with my local short 3D horror game(if you understand Indonesian, and want to try it, I'll gladly share it with you)

As for 2D games, I think the atmosphere will mostly affected by lightning and shadowing(as stated before). Being in the darkroom with only a flashlight in hand(or maybe a candle), will sorely limit player's vision and make them ask them self what else 'being' exist in the same room with them.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 02:46:21 AM »

Another thought is that 2d  games have the immediate advantage of the sense of unknown created by a scrolling view, there is less to show, and when you're trying to nail a certain atmosphere, it always helps to only have to show the things necessary (to do so)... also working in 2d with a plane of space allows usage of fundamental design concepts that can effectively lead the Player's eye and ultimately their thought process as they take in information.
I actually think the opposite: in 2D you can always see all of your immediate surroundings, whereas in 3D you never know what's directly behind you.

You have less control over the direction the player is facing (and thus what they're seeing) in 3D though (that said, most of the time I think you'll have a pretty good idea which way they're likely to be going).

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

One game: another world (out of this world)

gunmaggot
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

There are tons of atmospheric 2D games.  This thread is mystifying.  I'll do a list.

Limbo
Shadow of the Beast (series)
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Splatterhouse
Chelnov Atomic Runner
La Mulana
SOS
Earthbound
Another World
Heart of Darkness
Yahtzee's platformer games, can't remember the name.
Knytt
Eversion
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Yoshi's Island
Biohazard Battle
Gynoug
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (the whole series really)
Prince of Persia
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion/World of Illusion
Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder
Patapon
Ghouls n Ghosts
XZR/Exile
The Immortal
Midnight Wanderers
Clock Tower
Toki
Psychosomnium
Zeliard
Cadash
The Pawn
Jinxter
Strider
Osman
Shinobi III
Sonic (series)
Klonoa
Loco Roco
X Multiply
R Type
Metal Slug (series)
In the Hunt
Dragon Breed
Blade Master
Nemo
Forgotten Worlds
Guwange
Mutant Night
Black Heart
Truxton II
Dark Seed
Yume Nikki
Cactus' Lovecraft game (actually, there were several great and atmospheric entries in that compo)
Chzo mythos
Donkey Kong Country series had very atmospheric *music*.
Skullmonkeys/Neverhood
Astal
Muramasa the Demon Blade/Odin Sphere/Princess Crown
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Shinobi Legions
Wario Land 4
Lost Winds
Braid
Cave Story
Samurai Zombie Nation
Tecmo Knight
Xain'D SleenA
Pu Li Ru La
Kabuki Z
Darius Gaiden
Warrior Blade - Rastan Saga III
Sexy Parodius
Lost in Shadow (coming soon)
Dynamite Headdy
Cho Aniki
Chimera Beast
Various Wario Ware microgames
Wizkid the Story of Wizball 2

If you want I can do more!
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 11:00:03 PM »

Chzo definitely. All of those games were great at creating a shit ton of atmosphere with the awesome ambiance/design/story/etc.

Trilby's Notes scared me especially, which, I think, had something to do with assuming direct keyboard control of the main character, which I think puts you into their shoes even better.

And, as mentioned before, full on mindfucking the player is another great tool which Amon uses to great effect.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »

I really agree with Psychosomnium..something about it.

Machinarium and Canabalt are two games with a lot of atmosphere. Especially if you play Canabalt with the volume turned up and headphones, it really sucks you in.

Some other games that were really atmospheric to me where Edmund and Time Fkuc.

Captain Forever/Successor games really brought me into their world with the sounds and the other ships sending you messages. The lack of music adds to the effect too, really drawing me into the game world.

Glum Buster is another game that hypnotized me. Every time I quit the game I would shake my head to get out of the trance it put me in. Very weird feeling that's hard to describe, but I didn't ever want to stop playing it.
Squiggly_P
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 01:14:23 AM »

This might end up revealing how few games I've played in my life, but on the Super NES the most terrifying game I ever played was probably Super Metroid, especially the first time I played it.

I think the best way to make a player afraid is to show him something terrifying and then threaten him with it. A sequence that will demonstrate just how powerful the boss is, or how easy it would be for the game to just flip out on him at any moment. Then you can threaten him with it every time he enters a new area by not even doing anything. The threat will just be there.

Make the environment more than just flat static background. Put stuff in the background. Trigger little sequences that will only play once and make them subtle enough that he'll just barely catch on that something's going on. Little touches like the moths at the beginning of Super Metroid or the stuff that occasionally happens in Symphony of the Night... It's not huge stuff, but it adds a lot of detail to the world, and if you're trying to create a mood the world is what you need to flesh out.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »

out of this world/another world

and alot of atmosphere in my opinion comes from the sound&music
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic