Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:30:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Spy Vs. Sniper
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Spy Vs. Sniper  (Read 4815 times)
Snow
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »

Spy vs. Sniper

Inspired by:

Disclaimer:
The concept of this game is only partially original. This game is also inspired by Headshot and spot-the-difference style games. I am not entering this contest to win, just to have fun which is allowed. I'm currently a very busy person and already working on other game projects so this will be very low priority. There is a 95% chance though that I won't be finished by the deadline. I may only be able to put in 12 to 20 hours of coding... so we'll see. I probably won't even have a prototype up for a couple of weeks. I do want to start the thread for the game however.

I've always wanted to enter one of these contests and make a game. I am still learning programming and may stick to using Actionscript 2 to make this one as I have a few small engines I made that I can use (I know I should use AS3 and may do so). So please bear with me if I have difficulty, even with simple game functions. As an example, I can already tell you that I will have a bit of difficulty in simply figuring out how I'm going to advance levels in the game.

Description:
You are a government assassin blah blah blah and your job is to pick off a spy within a crowd of people. Your target is the person carrying the odd coloured briefcase. There is a network of spies among the people and the "area" you are watching is where the briefcase gets continually transferred to lose any "tail" they may have. Unknown to them, you are watching and searching for the briefcase. Essentially your job is to stop the transfer of that briefcase within an alloted time. The player uses the mouse to aim and shoot and sees the game through a "sniper scope" viewfinder (mask).

At the moment, I'm thinking of doing 4 levels or screens, each with 3 levels of difficulty.

Example:
Screen 1; level 1: 1 minute to find briefcase and shoot it's current owner.
Screen 1; level 2: 45 seconds to find briefcase...
Screen 1; level 3: 30 seconds...

Each screen has more people in it. When the player reaches screen 4 there is a whole ton of people... possibly over 100, so finding that briefcase will be difficult. To add to the difficulty, each screen is also filled with props such as trees, bushes, benches, walls, buildings, etc so it is possible that if the briefcase gets spotted, it could get switched while behind something and you lose it again.

Scoring and points: TBD
Rewards system: TBD

(future link)

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »

I think a good way to do this wouldn't be to lower time and increase people at the same time, but to alternate.

level 1: 20 people, 1 minute
level 2: 50 people, 1 minute
level 3: 50 people, 45 seconds,
level 4: 100 people, 45 seconds
level 5: 100 people, 30 seconds
Snow
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:36 PM »

To start and to better explain the game mechanic here is a mock up sketch of the game.

The view is top-down/partially isometric. I've made the mask semi-transparent so you can see what the whole world looks like. It will be solid black however when playing. The red line indicates a random path that the purple briefcase may make within the world. I made a bit of a boo boo though, when the briefcase is carried off-screen, it will re-enter the screen from the opposite side - ala old school atari style. This can make it hard to track. Smiley As you can see, some of the other people carry briefcases as well, so you have to have a sharp eye. Because all of the people and their clothing will be a variety of colours, the briefcase can easily blend in.

Also, forgot to mention, as you can see within the "scope", the current spy or target is closely passing another person. This is how the briefcase will be transferred over. If I can manage it, the transfer will be very smooth. Just to note however, not all people the target passes by will take the case, only if he/she happens to pass another spy. Spies however are not targets by themselves unless of course carrying the case.

As for what the game itself will look like graphically, if I go the pixel art way, it will be something like this:

If I do use pixel art it will look better. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:21:25 PM by Snow » Logged
Snow
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »

I think a good way to do this wouldn't be to lower time and increase people at the same time, but to alternate.

level 1: 20 people, 1 minute
level 2: 50 people, 1 minute
level 3: 50 people, 45 seconds,
level 4: 100 people, 45 seconds
level 5: 100 people, 30 seconds

I'll think about it. Once I have a prototype working... I can test out all options.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »

Your mock-up actually looks better than your sprites! Keep it that way!
Saker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 02:52:33 AM »

This ,
and Good luck Smiley
Snow
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »

They're only examples of dimensions more than anything. As said, if I should use sprites, they'll look better. If you guys like hand drawn artwork more, then I'll use that.
Saker
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:27 AM »

If you guys like hand drawn artwork more, then I'll use that.
YES , It's obviously better , really .
No need for the stereotypical pixel-ish indie thing
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »

If you guys like hand drawn artwork more, then I'll use that.

A also prefer the hand drawn mock-up to the sprite that you posted.  I think the cartoony where's-waldo look works better for this kind of game (from what I understand of it) than the 8-bit sprite look.
Snow
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »

It's decided. I will do hand drawn. I need more left-handed drawing practice anyway. (Back in February I started to train myself to draw with the left hand and my cartoons and doodles look much more dynamic than my right-handed "flat" ones. Try it out.)

Thank you for the feedback guys. Smiley
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

Trying to become ambidextrous? Tongue

Is that even how you say it...

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »

I think it is.

This sounds like a great idea for a game. Make sure that you keep us updated!

Snow
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »

Before I start my adventure in coding, I just wanted to present how I'm going about the inner workings of the game. I know there are a lot of good flash developers here and I just want to see if what I'm thinking will make sense. Again, bear with me as I'm still new to Flash game development. Here is the initial basic structure of the game, where I just stack all the elements and make the appropriate object visible when it's needed:

I realized.. after I made these images that I may not need to pool the objects off stage, that I could possibly have all objects on the stage at once and just have a certain number of them visible per map. The game has to run smooth with the max number of people objects scrolling across the stage anyway.

For smoothly passing the briefcase, the following images are self explanatory:

Again, in the first image, just ignore the object pool area. It just shows path and layout for all objects. The people objects for the most part won't pass directly through objects... other than the odd bench or large object that may span across path lines. Also, the image shows what I meant by smooth swapping. As long as the 2 people objects are aligned either by X or Y, when the briefcase object disappears from one and attaches to the other, it should be barely noticeable... as in you're not going to see the briefcase continually disappearing and then jumping large distances. I don't know how accurate Flash is though for detecting if the X or Y of 2 objects match perfectly on a single frame. My brain had a 503 error or something... since the object paths are on angles.. I think as long as the x and y coordinates of both are within 20 pixels - should work fine.

To explain the second image... I'm using an "no one and everyone is a spy" approach. Instead of the game having to keep track of which people object instance is the spy, the briefcase object can be attached to any instance. As long as it is the briefcase object that gets clicked on (shot)... the "spy" is shot.

So as I said in the first post, I may have some difficulty with certain things in the game which could be ridiculously simple to other more experienced developers.

1. Here is my thought on how to advance levels:
Use a simple spyShot counter:
if(spy has been shot){spyShot++;}

if(spyShot == 0){Map1: Level 1}
if(spyShot == 1){Map1: Level 2}
etc. etc.

Swapping the briefcase is something else I may have problems with, but of course I should code first before even thinking this is going to be a problem. Still, I want to see what opinions are.

There's 5 subclasses of the people object class. Example: Business Man is one of the 5 subclasses. For map 1 only 25% of the Business Man instances are visible and able to swap briefcase. Map 2 = 50% instances, etc.

if(Map == 2){Business Man instances 6-10 are visible}

Every single people object can carry the briefcase, however they can only pass on to certain instances of other people classes (basically to a select few of the ones travelling in the other 3 directions). Example (for just passing on to 1 instance):

if(this._x == _root.punkKid3._x || this._y == _root.punkKid3._y) edit: within 20 pixels, not aligned.
{
     if(_root.punkKid3._visible == true)
     {    
          passBriefCase();
     }
}

So just to clear any confusion, groups of people objects travel in 4 directions. No object can turn or change directions... some will walk through things such as large objects. They will all walk through or pass other people objects. When they move off stage, they are transported back to their starting point on the other side of the stage and just continually scroll across the screen.

The last thing I'm wondering about is about swapping depths with prop objects in a map. I don't know yet if a map needs to be a complete object with prop objects nested inside. If so, is it tricky to swap depths with nested objects? Or is it just as simple as:
if(this._y >= _root.Map1.bush7_y){swap depths}?

Actually yes. Oddly enough, I am already left-handed with certain things like baseball, hockey, hacking limbs with a machete. It's actually good for the brain... but don't ask me to explain that. Ask a neurologist lol.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:29:34 AM by Snow » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »

Being ambidextrous makes it easier to establish connections with either side of the brain, making it easier to use skills of the associated side. If I remember correctly.

This sounds very interesting! One of my kinds of games, for sure.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic